You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

How to correct your grammar and spelling mistakes?

How good we are in English we ought to make grammatical or spelling mistakes because English is not our mother tongue. But how to know that whether you wrote error free English or not. Is there any tool that helps us to correct our English Grammar and spelling. Yes, there are online tools which correct of English Grammar and spellings I use Ginger check (http://www.gingersoftware.com/grammarcheck). Let us see how it works below is the one...
    Please find the attached image
    A blunt knife or rusted knife can't be useful for anything just for the sake we call it as the knife similar to PayTM series or Sachin or Virat records.

Delete Attachment

Bhushan,

Please refer to this very interesting previous discussion on the efficacy of using online tools to check spelllings & grammar. As clearly indicated in that thread, these tools do have limited scope. They do not provide cent percent accuracy and tend to totally ignore punctuation, which actually is very important since incorrect punctuation or lack of it can possibly change the entire meaning of a sentence. Even verbs and prepositions are often overlooked.

I think it is a good idea to pay attention to how those who are good in English write and gradually understand the difference in how words are used, such as when 'have' is used and when 'has' is used. Reading reputed newspapers and magazines also help to improve one's English.

Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

For Punctuation marks, we can refer this website http://writing.garretson.info/PunctuationChecker. As I am using these tools before the posted date in the forum thread(on the efficacy of using online tools to check spelling's & grammar.)...
    A blunt knife or rusted knife can't be useful for anything just for the sake we call it as the knife similar to PayTM series or Sachin or Virat records.

If there is any wrong in the content....

Delete Attachment

Vandana,
    Sorry to remember the past. In your thread response #588450, You have said " I think it is a good idea to pay attention to how those who are good in English write." You have used the phrase 'Good in English." Hope you remember the past days when I had bitter discussion with a member on the subject Good in English and Good at English. You too agreed that Good at English was correct and Good in English was incorrect. What is correct now ? Good in English or Good at English.

I use the tool Grammarly to check my English. It checks the spellings, punctuations, spacings etc. I feel it as a best tool to check our grammar mistakes.

No life without Sun ¤

[Text removed - do not repeat what is already stated in previous response in #588452]

Sun,

Yes, I do recall the discussion. I do not think it was bitter but a straightforward one. I also recall that I was not a participant in it and did not really state my views in that thread. However, I do agree that it should be good at English and not good in English.

Which online tools members use is up to them. I prefer to rely on my own English skills and refer what I do not understand or am not sure about to somebody more knowledgeable about it either via the forum or via an email.

Vandana,
    Not in that thread, but in some other thread you used Good in English, and you were corrected by the member and you agreed to it. I like your words 'I prefer to rely on my own English skills'. Though I am not very good at English, I too prefer to rely on my own good English and be good in English like you being good in English. Thanks.

No life without Sun ¤

Bhushan,

With reference to the text in question you have asked about. As per my English skills, this is how it should be:
    The title: How to decide how many exclamation marks have to be placed after the end of a sentence?
    - You are asking about an exclamation mark in its form as a punctuation mark and not about exclamations, which means something else entirely.
    - Since the word 'marks' is plural, I think it should be 'have' and not 'has'.
    - The words 'the' and 'a' I think are required too and should not be dropped.

The text: We know that English grammar contains several punctuation marks; in that an exclamation mark is one. Many of us use this exclamation mark in a sentence, but some people use three or four exclamation marks at the end of a sentence. Some people will use only one exclamation mark at the end of the sentence. So how to decide how many exclamation marks have to be placed at the end of a sentence? Is there any grammar rule for that? Knowledgeable members please respond to the question.
    - Note the changes I have made, including proper capitalization at the beginning of a sentence.

Vandana,

I think there should be a comma in Knowledgeable members, please respond to the question.

Vandana,

I think below statement is with proper punctuations... using online tool correction...
    1)in that, an exclamation mark is one 2) Knowledgeable members, please respond to the question.

We know that English grammar contains several punctuation marks; in that, an exclamation mark is one. Many of us use this exclamation mark in a sentence, but some people use three or four exclamation marks at the end of a sentence. Some people will use only one exclamation mark at the end of the sentence. So how to decide how many exclamation marks have to be placed at the end of a sentence? Is there any grammar rule for that? Knowledgeable members, please respond to the question.

Sun,

Please check your post with correction using my online tool...

Sorry to remember the past. In your thread response #588450, You have said: " I think it is a good idea to pay attention to how those who are good in English write." You have used the phrase 'Good in English." Hope you remember the past days when I had a bitter discussion with a member on the subject Good in English and Good at English. You too agreed that Good at English was correct and Good in English was incorrect. What is correct now? Good in English or Good at English.

I use the tool Grammarly to check my English. It checks the spellings, punctuations, spacings etc. I feel it as the best tool to check our grammar mistakes.

Do you agree with this?

Vandana, Thanks for correcting me.
    I have a doubt. Is it right to write 'who are good in English write'. Do you agree ?

No life without Sun ¤

Bhushan - Yes, I it would be correct to put the punctuation as mentioned.

Sun - "Is it right to write who is good in English write." is a completely grammatically incorrect sentence.

#588534 Had you read my response ( #588528) can you reply for that.

• Learning the Basics of Grammar
    • Use proper word order
    • Conjugate verbs properly.
    • Punctuate sentences properly
    • Read a variety of material.
    • Use punctuation properly
    • Pay attention to how other speakers talk
    • Play word and grammar games.
    • Practice writing every day
    • Learn the difference between confusing words
    • Use the active voice
    when u follows all these things then definitely your grammar knowledge increases. And you can't do any mistake while talking a English or writing time also.
    Good Luck...

Vandana & Bhushan,
    If the phrase ' who are good in English write' is incorrect, then the tool used by Bhushan is not a fitting tool to check grammar. I too feel it perfectly incorrect.

No life without Sun ¤

#588567 Sun & Vandana,
    Please check your post with correction using my online tool...
    'when I had the bitter discussion', I feel it as the best tool

Who are good at English and Who are good at English it is not showing any error using online tool.

Bhushan,
    Check the following through your tool and report the results.

1. You are good in English
    2. You are good at English
    3. You are good in English write
    4. You are good at English write
    5. She is good in Arithmetic
    6. She is good at Arithmetic
    7. He is good in Science
    8. He is good at Science

No life without Sun ¤

It is heartening to see members trying to learn something & and disheartening to see the exhibition of one-upmanship.

I do rely on my own knowledge, but would like to admit that I never hesitate to look the word or phrase up in an online dictionary whenever in doubt since it is just a click away.

Bhushan & Sun:- The online tools are no match for human brain & cannot be relied upon in entirety. Moreover, if at all one needs to use an online tool then it should not be spell & grammar checkers since one does not make any effort while using them. One does just what a spell & grammar checker suggests and the corrections, generally, do not get registered in one's mind for further use. At least that is what I feel!

Whenever one is in doubt about the usage of any word or phrase or just anything, one should go for the dictionary, must verify the usage from at least 2-3 good sources (not all the sources can be relied upon), read the whole thing properly so that the correction gets registered in one's mind and then should go for the usage of the word or phrase.

Moreover, an open mind is the most basic requirement for learning anything new. Stubbornness is the very first & the biggest impediment to learning anything new.

Without any malice towards one & all ( A modified phrase of the great columnist Sd Khushwant Singh)!

When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

#588579..
    1. You are good in English
    2. You are good at English
    3. You are good in English write
    4. You are good at English write
    5. She is good in Arithmetic
    6. She is good at Arithmetic
    7. He is good in Science
    8. He is good at Science

All are correct.....

Bhushan,

That proves that the tool you are using is a total waste.

When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

Please check your Grammar and punctuations with my online tool
    It is heartening to see members trying to learn something & and disheartening to see the exhibition of one-upmanship.

I do rely on my own knowledge but would like to admit that I never hesitate to look the word or phrase up in an online dictionary whenever in doubt since it is just a click away.

Bhushan & Sun: - The online tools are no match for human brain & cannot be relied upon in entirety. Moreover, if at all one needs to use an online tool then it should not be spell & grammar checkers since one does not make any effort while using them. One does just what a spell & grammar checker suggests and the corrections, generally, do not get registered in one's mind for further use. At least that is what I feel!

Whenever one is in doubt about the usage of any word or phrase or just anything, one should go for the dictionary, must verify the usage from at least 2-3 good sources (not all the sources can be relied upon), read the whole thing properly so that the correction gets registered in one's mind and then should go for the usage of the word or phrase.

Moreover, an open mind is the most basic requirement for learning anything new. Stubbornness is the very first & the biggest impediment to learning anything new.

Without any malice towards one & all ( A modified phrase of the great columnist Sd Khushwant Singh)!

OK, tell me what tool you are using

Bhushan,
    If all the 8 sentences which I wrote are correct, we need not use any tool to check our grammar. We are perfect with our own grammar that we write and speak.

No life without Sun ¤

Sun,

There are four mistakes....

Once in the past, I bought a tablespoon which was marked as Made in USA. I was feeling proud to possess one such spoon from the USA. Alas! The pride lasts only for few days. I was told that it was not United States of India but was Ullasnagar Steel Association located in Mumbai. I think it could be a different China in India. Do You agree with this?

Sun,

In #588522 you stated "I too prefer to rely on my own good English and be good in English like you being good in English". There is a difference between the way I said it and the way you do so. You see, I am willing to listen to others when they correct my English and also acknowledge if what I wrote was wrong. Of course, I still do make the mistake again despite being told what is correct, simply because of habitual use of it and not because I am adamant about my own stance.

Anyway, I am out of this discussion now. I have said all that I wanted to say and am busy with other important things.

No tool in the world can teach construction of sentences. The construction of the phrase "who are good in English write" is wrong. The computer tools are checking the individual word. and there is nothing wrong in any word; so, the tools being used can not point out the mistake.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

I fully agree and concur Partha's 588604. A checking tool can help to correct spellings; punctuations; prepositions as confused; irregular spacing etc. But cannot ensure 100 percent grammar check. I use Grammarly which helps me to correct my spelling; punctuations like comma; full stop; question mark and spacing only. Grammarly doesn't check other punctuations like semi-colon; colon; dash; exclamatory marks etc. It is useful to some extent only not completely.
    No life without Sun ¤

As per my view, the basic rules of Grammar is covered on using this tool.

The author and other interested members are requested to conclude their point if any. This thread will be locked tomorrow morning as there does not seem to be any meaning in unnecessarily stretching a point without any valid purpose.
    Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

Dear Author and Members,
    I conclude my response saying that no on line tool can help us to check our grammar mistakes like the grammar book. It can check 100 percent spelling mistakes, 50 percent punctuation mistakes, and hardly any grammar mistakes. It is always better to have a Grammar book near your computer for easy reference, whenever we have doubt in English grammar.

No life without Sun ¤

Yes, I concur with sun comments but with subtle changes more than 50percent of punctuation mistakes

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.