You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Are chapatis made from millets are more beneficial than chapatis from wheat?

During our student days, we used to read in our Geography books that wheat is grown in relatively fertile land, whereas millets are grown in less fertile land. The requirement of water in cultivation of millets is much less than the requirement of water in cultivation of wheat. We came to know that men generally prefer chapatis of wheat. In many places, millets are/were fed to herbivorous animals.

However, nowadays many new concepts are coming. Nowadays nutritionists say that chapatis and other foods prepared from millets (jawar, bajra and raagi) are more nutritious and beneficial than chapatis made from wheat.

I would like to know the opinion of other Members in this regard. Do they prefer chapatis from wheat or chapatis from millets? What is the reason for their particular preference?
    Yes of late there is a tendency to use all grains atta which is the mixture of Jawar, Bajra, Raagi and some dall varieties too along with wheat. These mixture brings wholesome taste to the rotis and that can be taken without a curry too. These whole some pack is available ready made and even foreign brands have penetrated in to this business. But nothing can match the chakki atta. That means we have to fetch the best wheat from the market, segregate them, clean then and give for a nice grind at the chakki center. I bet the taste of chakki atta would be far more superior than the regular or the mixture atta available in the market.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I would like the opinion of other Members in this regard. Do they prefer chapatis from wheat or chapatis from millets?
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Wheat chapattis are definitely more delectable as compared to those made from other grains. This trend of adding grains to the diet seems to be just catching up. However, I recall, my parents would get wheat ground with various grains, especially during the winter months. It was common to have kala channa and wheat roti, called missi roti, with oodles of ghee and green chutney or bajra and wheat roti with ghee and gur or jawar and wheat roti with makhan and chaulai ka saag. I am not sure about this, but I think these grains were included in the winter diet because of their warming properties. They were only served in winter.

Wheat has gluten, so the chapattis are soft. Most other grains are gluten free therefore the chapattis made from them are not soft. I add flour of various grains to regular wheat flour when kneading the dough – it helps improve the nutrient quotient. Soya flour and oats are two ingredients that I always add to flour. What else goes into the flour depends on the availability.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Millets like Jowar, Raagi, Bajra, Jonnalu etc. provide macro and micro nutrients, rich fibre content, unsaturated fats, proteins, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, iron, anti-oxidants which cannot be found in normal cereals. These valuable micro-nutrients and anti-oxidants will improve normal metabolism and immunity of our body.

Roti made of wheat flour is always better from the points of view of softness, taste, nutrition values such as fibre, protein, but the millets Roti are coarse grained, hard, and can be taken with few dal and vegitables such as urddal, sag etc. Millets's roti is preferable in winter only. It has some vitamin and minerals over the wheat roti.
    The greatest wealth in this world is mental peace and good health.

• Sign In to post your comments