You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why United States of America to be called as The United States of America?

As this is a question raised in a movie if I remember that is in English Vinglish where Sridevi played a main role in the movie in that she will ask the English teacher Why The United States of America why not The China, The India as there is no proper answer for that in the movie.To add to that if we write Made in U.S.A we need to write Made in the U.S.A is it correct?Knowledgeable members, please respond to the question.
    We all know that in America there are 52 countries which forms part of a great country and they call their each country as state. So by virtue of that, the total America is called United States of America. However in media and general talk, we call that country as US which simplifies that it is America. While most of the products Americans use are from China and Japan, their manufacturing ability and requirement to mention USA is very limited. By the way each state is strong enough to lead its own economy and the White house just have control over the US Armed forces and money.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Mohan,
    Your response is not an answer to the thread raised by the author. We need to explain why the article 'the' is placed before the words United States of America. Why can't we too call The India, The Japan , The Russia, The Pakistan, The Srilanka etc.

No life without Sun ¤

#588716 I fully agree with your comments.... Can we write Made in the USA
    A blunt knife or rusted knife can't be useful for anything just for the sake we call it as the knife similar to PayTM series or Sachin or Virat records.

The United States of America refers to the group of States that form the Country but it is not the name of the Country.

So to refer the collection of those States, we call it The United States of America.

For example; I ate an apple today. The apple was very tasty.

Now when I say the apple, I am referring to that particular apple that I ate. In the same way we are referring the group of States that form the Country and to refer those group of States, we say The United States of America.

Then India is also a group of states and even Sri Lanka is also group of states but we can't write The India, The SRI LANKA.
    A blunt knife or rusted knife can't be useful for anything just for the sake we call it as the knife similar to PayTM series or Sachin or Virat records.

India is also group of States but India is a proper noun and we cannot use "the" infront of India. When we say, The Unites States of America, it is not the name of the Country. It refers to those goup of Sates that form the Nation. We don't say The North America or The South America.

• The United States of America
    • The United Kingdom
    • The Republic of Ireland
    • The People's Republic of China
    • The Cook Islands

What is common in the above list of countries is that they all have the article 'the' prefixed to them. The article 'the' is added before names of nations that have a noun that acts as modifiers.

These nouns are words by themselves, with a meaning, and can be used separately. Nouns such as United or Republic etcetera are always used with an article. For instance, it is always the islands and the kingdom or the states. Example – The Andaman & Nicobar Islands, the Mauryan Kingdom, the various states of India. Similarly, when these independent nouns are part of a name of a country they take the article 'the' before that name.

Remember to use the before –
    • names of countries that have a noun, for example, the Union, the Republic, the States, the Kingdom, the Democratic etcetera
    • countries that have plural names like, the Netherlands, the Philippines

Underestimate me...that'll be fun!

So Made in USA or Made in the USA..... which is correct?

If the argument and proofing of other members goes there is no doubt it must be Made in the USA and not Made in USA.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Ms. Juana has already stated that in case of names of five countries (including the USA), 'the' is used before the names, which acts as modifier.
    The Hague is the only city of the world where 'the' is used before the name.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

The article 'the' is prefixed when we are referring to a group of States. USA is actually a group of countries which is referred to as States. Juana has given a detailed explanation at #588721. Why do you think we refer to India as 'the' Union of India or 'the' Indian republic or when referring to the union territories as 'the' Union territories of India etc. The article 'the' is prefixed when we refer to a group as such and it is not a noun. Now, coming to your query at #588722, it would be Made in USA or Made in the United States of America.
    Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

Bhushan and Mohan
    We can write Made in USA or Made in the United states of America. When we use an abbreviated form of United States of America (USA), USA becomes a single word(noun). Hence we need not prefix it with the word 'The', I think.

Further, we can say - This is an USA made item.

@Update: I stand corrected This is a USA made item is correct .

No life without Sun ¤

Can the author of #588733 please quote the grammar rule he has used for the sentence - "This is an USA made item."

Bhushan – I would go with 'Made in the USA'. I have no grammatical reasons to offer. However, I have deduced this from lyrics of popular songs that have the acronym USA in them.

I have always professed to be a Country music fan. There is an American singer by the name Lee Greenwood. His song 'God Bless the USA' remains one of his best-sung songs. It is regarded as a patriotic song in the US and has also been sung by Dolly Parton, who is another great Country singer, and by many other popular singers. Of course, these two singers are old timers.

Miley Cyrus is a contemporary singer who has sung 'Party in the USA'.

Moreover, whenever the acronym of such countries is used in writing or speech it is always prefixed with the article 'the'.

#588740 Had you ever seen any packaged item which is written as Made in the USA?

In Google search engine I found both Made in the USA and Made in USA. Here is the attachment for you.

Delete Attachment

When we make use of the abbreviated form USA, it becomes a single name like India. Hence, usage of the word the seems to be inappropriate. I never heard the USA, but heard The United States of America. About my using 'This is an USA made item is much relevant as per rules (An used before a word starting with vowel sound U, and also it qualifies a single item). Also, it sounds good and go well as 'An US made item' or An USA made item. I think, nothing is wrong.

Please note that when American prounce USA, they pronounce as 'Au Yes Aye' in style.

Update: Juana is correct as 'A USA made item'.

No life without Sun ¤

Sun,

Correct the sentence with Online Tool...

When we make use of the abbreviated form USA, it becomes a single name like India. Hence, usage of the word the seems to be inappropriate. I never heard the USA but heard The United States of America. About my using 'This is a USA made item is much relevant as per grammar rules (A used before a word starting with vowel sound U, and also it qualifies a single item). Also, it sounds good and goes well as 'A US made item' or the USA made the item. I think nothing is wrong.

Delete Attachment

As a matter of fact, I have. I am attaching a pic of one such product that I am using.

Delete Attachment

Bhushan,
    If I were to write, I would write 'Made in USA' only, and also I would write 'This is an USA made item'. ('An' covers the entire words 'USA made item which is a single item. (The rule can be relaxed here as this being an abbreviation as pronounced by an American)

Update: As per the grammar rule an USA is wrong.

@ Bhushan: Your correction misleads with a wrong meaning to my sentences.

No life without Sun ¤

Here is another image of the same product with 'Made in the USA' printed on it, clicked with today's newspaper displaying the date.

Delete Attachment

Generally, the advertisers copy the earlier and repeat the same without any change. One guy has made a mistake of using the term 'Made in the USA' and others follow it blindly without giving a good thought to it.
    No life without Sun ¤

Members,
    I conclude saying that both the usage with and without 'The' is acceptable to us and the US. Also, An USA item and A USA item in terms of American pronunciation and Indian pronunciation should be acceptable.

No life without Sun ¤

When the name of the country is 'The United States of America' (the USA), then the correct marking is 'made in the USA'. Why are we discussing this simple issue?
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Bhushan, what is the purpose of raising this thread? Are you looking for opinion from our members or are you trying to connect it to your findings based on your online tool? One can come up with any number of doubts regarding proper use of words and punctuation in English. Let us accept that English is a language that can be twisted according to need and we need to understand the point; just take care of the spelling and grammar.

Please note that we would lock this thread by today evening.

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

Editor Saji,
    Bhushan is not wrong. He is trying to find out the correct use of the words by using his grammar tool. Kindly conclude this thread by posting your good opinion and findings, and say what is right and what is wrong and lock this thread. Your good words should be the final.

No life without Sun ¤

Mr Sun, I never said that Bhushan is wrong. But stretching a thread far beyond its reach is not, I feel, acceptable. I have given my version which I think is correct. I don't see any reason in continuing this (or similar) threads endlessly.

Saji,

I beg to disagree with you on the point that 'English is a language that can be twisted according to need'. My viewpoint is that it is a very logical language. We may not understand the logic behind certain things in English language, but that does not mean that there is none.

An example - some people say that English is a funny language because of the difference in pronunciation of the letter 'U' in 'put' & 'but'. I think there is a logic behind the difference in pronunciation of the letter 'U' in 'put' & 'but'.

I hope I have been able to make my point clear with that example.

When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

Saji,

"Let us accept that English is a language that can be twisted according to need..." That's for the birds!

If a language can be twisted according to need, I see no place for grammar and spellings. Let's just weave words together, any which way, to get our message across. Your claim nullifies the frequent assertion in the forum that members can improve their language skills here.

What a futile exercise this has been. Regrettably, a new and lower standard has been set.

Gypsy and Juana, with due respect to both of you, I would like to make it clear that what I actually meant was that English is a flexible language. One can use words in such a way that does not harm the construction or grammar as such. We, as editors, do check the grammar and spellings of contents and do expect members to improve their language, but should we look for a perfect 100/100? Quite impossible, right?

Sign In to post your comments