You must Sign In to post a response.
Creative story writing contest for ISCians - win bumper cash prizes! Last date: 31st January 2017.
  • Category: Reward Programs

Me, a lamp......Part 3 - write a creative story, win cash awards!

18 members participated in part 1, but fewer in part 2 of the creative writing activity based on 'The gently flickering lamp'. Now here is the third and final part of the same creative activity. This time, though, it is a full-fledged creative fictional story writing contest. So here's your chance to showcase your creative talent!

What you have to do:
    1. Select any one word from the below-mentioned list (these are the single words which were put in at the end of the sentence of each of the entries of part 2). Multiple members can select the same word, but participants of part-2 must not select their own word. The words (with name of member who submitted it) are:
    (i) Halt (Partha)
    (ii) Beware (Sun)
    (iii) Farmers (Magesh)
    (iv) Miracles (Ms. Mitra)
    (v) Life (Saji)
    (vi) Great (Padmini)
    (vii) Coercion (Juana)
    (viii) Brightness (Jagdish)
    (ix) Wow (Saroja)
    (x) Wonderful (Pranita)

2. Once you have selected the word, look up synonyms of that word. Select a synonym and start your story with that synonym. It must either be the first word or must appear in the first sentence of the story. It can be used in any format, as a noun, verb, adjective etc. At the start of the story, please mention the word you selected & its selected synonym. Example: Wow - XYZ synonym.

3. The story should be centered around a lamp (any type, any kind, any material.). It should be in English only, but you can use traditional Indian words & explain their meanings at the end of the story. It can be of any genre, funny, mysterious, sci-fi, etc. Just don't write anything inappropriate and avoid slang and short forms of words. Adhere to all forum posting guidelines. If you wish, you can give one (not more) internal link to any ISC page.

4. The story should be between 350 words minimum and 500 words maximum. Put in a creative title (not necessarily 'Me, a lamp' and not necessarily autobiographical). Then post it in Discussion Forums>>About IndiaStudyChannel>>Creative Writing. Finally, submit the URL of that thread in a response over here, in this thread. You may edit your entry at any time to make general corrections or add some aspect to the story line, but do be honest and do not change the main theme of your story or the type of lamp.

Please follow all the above instructions carefully, otherwise your story will not be considered as a valid entry for the main prizes.

Note: At the end of the story, please mention with a clickable link that it is an entry for this contest so that other members/outside visitors are aware of it.

Prizes:
    1. The 2 best stories will each win Rs.200/-.
    2. One 2nd prize: Rs.150/-
    3. One 3rd prize: Rs.100/-.
    4. One Consolation prize: Rs.75/-.

Last date to submit entries: 31st January 2017.

Other members are welcome to give their feedback in the story threads, but please do not turn it into an ugly spat.
    Note to all participants of the previous 2 editions - please let me know, via a response in this thread, if you have not got points & cc (invalid entries have been given only minimum 3 points.)
    Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

This is interesting.

I have a query about points & cc - what is the definition of "invalid entries"?

Underestimate me...that'll be fun!

Ms. Vandana: Can I write a story in continuation of the story-line painstakingly developed by me in the earlier two parts? Urgent please.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Partha - Yes, you can use the same story line.

Juana - when the contest rules are not followed it becomes an invalid entry. In case of misjudgement of an entry as being valid/invalid, we will rectify it.

around a lamp? (any kind, any type,?) Didn't get this. Please explain in broad.

Mr. Sai Tanishq: Please read the detailed directions given in Part I and Part II of the contest and also the responses. Only then you will fully understand Part-III.

Hi,
    I am submitting my story for the "Me, a lamp"-part 3 contest . My story is titled as "A lamp called Hurricane".

A Lamp called Hurricane

Most humbly and respectfully, I am hereby submitting my entry:

Destination: The dimly-lit lamp of Indian Army post across the river

I give below link to my entry for this contest:
    True story of a vintage table lamp

my entry

That continuously flickering lamp gave her a lifelong lesson

"It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

May those who have not participated in last two parts, submit their story for this part?
    Regards:
    Chitra Rana

Chitra,

Everyone can participate in this contest, including those who did not participate in the previous editions. Glad to see back here!

Please find my entry to the contest.

The broken pieces; me and the lamp

Sid

Lets all try to create a better tomorrow for India.

Vandana madam,

This is my entry, A traditional lamp, symbolic of mother's love.

This is my entry to this lamp

Diya and Diyash meeting with Diyas

Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

Here is my entry for the contest
    Sun and his son's Midnight Redlight operation

No life without Sun ¤

Here, is my entry for the contest The Illusion of a Flickering Lamp

Mind, a magical lamp
    Regards:
    Chitra Rana

My entry

Deepa Jyotir Namosthute (salutation to Lamp light)

Please find below the link for my entry for this contest-
    The miraculous lamp- My creation

Padmini

Living & Learning- simultaneous processes!

Here is my entry.

You think it's red lamp?

This is my entry Lamp brightness

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.