Me, a lamp......Part 3 - write a creative story, win cash awards!18 members participated in part 1, but fewer in part 2 of the creative writing activity based on 'The gently flickering lamp'. Now here is the third and final part of the same creative activity. This time, though, it is a full-fledged creative fictional story writing contest. So here's your chance to showcase your creative talent!
What you have to do:
1. Select any one word from the below-mentioned list (these are the single words which were put in at the end of the sentence of each of the entries of part 2). Multiple members can select the same word, but participants of part-2 must not select their own word. The words (with name of member who submitted it) are:
(i) Halt (Partha)
(ii) Beware (Sun)
(iii) Farmers (Magesh)
(iv) Miracles (Ms. Mitra)
(v) Life (Saji)
(vi) Great (Padmini)
(vii) Coercion (Juana)
(viii) Brightness (Jagdish)
(ix) Wow (Saroja)
(x) Wonderful (Pranita)
2. Once you have selected the word, look up synonyms of that word. Select a synonym and start your story with that synonym. It must either be the first word or must appear in the first sentence of the story. It can be used in any format, as a noun, verb, adjective etc. At the start of the story, please mention the word you selected & its selected synonym. Example: Wow - XYZ synonym.
3. The story should be centered around a lamp (any type, any kind, any material.). It should be in English only, but you can use traditional Indian words & explain their meanings at the end of the story. It can be of any genre, funny, mysterious, sci-fi, etc. Just don't write anything inappropriate and avoid slang and short forms of words. Adhere to all forum posting guidelines. If you wish, you can give one (not more) internal link to any ISC page.
4. The story should be between 350 words minimum and 500 words maximum. Put in a creative title (not necessarily 'Me, a lamp' and not necessarily autobiographical). Then post it in Discussion Forums>>About IndiaStudyChannel>>Creative Writing. Finally, submit the URL of that thread in a response over here, in this thread. You may edit your entry at any time to make general corrections or add some aspect to the story line, but do be honest and do not change the main theme of your story or the type of lamp.
Please follow all the above instructions carefully, otherwise your story will not be considered as a valid entry for the main prizes.
Note: At the end of the story, please mention with a clickable link that it is an entry for this contest so that other members/outside visitors are aware of it.
1. The 2 best stories will each win Rs.200/-.
2. One 2nd prize: Rs.150/-
3. One 3rd prize: Rs.100/-.
4. One Consolation prize: Rs.75/-.
Last date to submit entries: 31st January 2017.
Other members are welcome to give their feedback in the story threads, but please do not turn it into an ugly spat.