You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Creative Writing

True story of a vintage table lamp

(Brightness: synonym-luminosity)

Luminosity or intensity of light or simply brightness of a light is measured using photometer or light meter and luminance expressed in lumens. For example an LED bulb of 9W can give same luminance (about 800 lumens) that a 60W incandescence bulb gives.

Don't worry; I will not bother you with tech stuff. This is just how I wanted to introduce and tell my story.
    I am a vintage table lamp.

Not the fancy item you see nowadays in online shops or the one you have in your home fixed to the electrical plug used for reading in your bed room.

I am the vintage non-electrical, kerosene table lamp. I never knew what my luminance was or how much lumens I gave. But I can say with pride that I had my prominent place at study tables, shops, dinner tables and even on conference tables.
    Please take your imagination or memories to a period of at least forty to fifty years back when most homes and shops were non-electrified.

I have a lovely body with a top, middle and a bottom. The bottom base is made of glass and has a mouth. Kerosene is poured into the base. The middle - a metal part , fixed to base is having a small vertical tube like structure through which the ribbon shaped wick is inserted. A 'regulator' is attached the side of this middle part, to raise and lower the wick to increase or decrease brightness. The top part is the transparent glass cover , chimney, which is fitted into or removed from middle part when needed. It helps the wick burn steadily, protect it from wind and insects and spread light uniformly. The smoke and soot also rise and disappear through the chute on this cover- glass.(Those who are unfamiliar can view my picture attached)

I gave a very cool light unless someone comes very close or touches the glass. Some people used to place a small improvised shade to avoid direct light falling on their eyes. I was able to light up a whole room. Hence I was also used as light for dinner table. The lady of the house or one of the children used to clean me top to bottom every evening before sunset, fill with kerosene and carefully light me. I used to enjoy my position in the homes then.
    Gone are my heydays. Now I am left to a dark corner of the house along with other unused items. Yesterday, I heard the master of the house nostalgically telling about his academic days, how he, studying under a kerosene table lamp( me only) came first in class always. He regretted that even with brighter electric lights and more facilities his children are not studying well.

That prompted me to tell my story to you now. If you would like to take me to your home, I assure that I shall serve you best, irrespective my old age.

(This is an entry for Creative Story contest)
  • Vintage Table Lamp(Kerosene Lamp) (150484-1-Vintage-Table-LampKerosene-Lamp.docx)
    Excellent! This post has reminded me my student days when I used to study under the light of this type of table-lamp, because of frequent powr-cuts which we had to endure in Calcutta at that time.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

The author made a nice submission and took us to the vintage era and the lamp mentioned there in are not even seen by the present era people. I liked the thread much.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.

Submit New Thread
    Return to Return to Discussion Forum