You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Askot-a silent heaven in Uttarakhand

Askot is a small town in Pithoragarh district (Uttarakhand) on the lap of nature. The pine and deodar forests make the place heavenly. Rhododendrons form a carpet on the small roads of the town and the surrounding forest. River Kali meets River Goriganga near Askot. We can understand the brutal force of water at Askot. From Askot, tourists get a panoramic view of snow clad peaks of Kumaon Himalayas.

Askot is famous for Askot Musk Deer Sanctuary dedicated to the conservation of Musk deer. Needless to mention that Musk deer is an extremely rare animal. The small town falls on the way to Dharchula, the starting point for the annual Kailash-Manasarovar Jatra.

Best time to visit Askot is April to June.
    In a lighter vein earlier I heard about vascoat or Hoskote which a place in Karnataka, but for the first time I am coming across wonder place called Askot town in Uttarakhand which is a known conservation center for Musk deer. The way the author mentioned about the place and the abundance of natural beauty, naturally every one who have not tried this place would like to visit and have the appreciation view of Kumaon Mountains. I would appreciate if the author has the images of the place and share the same , at least we can enjoy this wonderful place on seeing a picture,
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Mohan: Some months ago I raised a thread about presence of a tiger at Askot. Although it is a welcome phenomenon for the tigers, it may not be very good for the Musk deers.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Whenever I read such kind of tourism related threads by Mr.Partha, it makes me quite delighted. I love to visit such places which are free from hustle and bustle of the city life. I don't from where the author gets idea about such places. But, it really makes me feel good whenever I get aware of such places. So far, I have not visited Pithoragarh, but Nainital, Badrinath, Rishikesh, Dehradun, Rudraprayag, Devprayag, etc. are visited by me. I hope, I will be visiting Askot too in the coming years.
    With regards,
    Ravi
    "Time & Tides waits for none"

Mr. Ravi: Let me give you an idea. Let us suppose you are going to Darjeeling by toy-train. Take an instantaneous decision and get down at Ghoom, one station before Darjeeling. Enjoy the pristine glory of nature without the usual hustle-bustle of tourist places. Similarly, if you travel by car to Darjeeling, get down at Lepchajagat, enjoy the silent nature and then go to Darjeeling.

Similarly, while going to Pithoragarh, I spent a day at Askot and enjoyed the beauty of the place.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

• Sign In to post your comments