You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why does the Indian Railways sell unlimited general tickets?

Two or three days back, while I was travelling by train, I found that people were fighting with each other to get a seat or just to stand in a general compartment of the train. I got to know that there were only 90 seats available but passengers were more than 300. Why does Railways sell such huge number of tickets instead of maximum two times of the available seat?
    Don't they think that passengers travelling in the general compartment are also human beings?
    Yes they are and they are Indian too!
    Friend denying more tickets will cause more problem and allow more corruption.
    Those who have to travel on same date will travel in any case, there may be emergency situation among poor or those who cannot afford to travel in reserved class.
    Limited number of tickets will cause more problem. Traveling in many cases is not luxury to choose.
    What I suggest is where there are more people than capacity of train, an extra train or "bogi" can be attached for the comfort of people.
    Education, transport, real estate, politics, religion have many such urgent requirement of improvement, but who pay heeds to such trival issues! Elections are there, let's think about caste candidate, regional candidate or business, GDP etc, who care these mango people, they will survive anyway.

Regards:
    Chitra Rana

Good question posed by the author. The Railways are getting huge profit by selling general tickets as they know every inch of the compartment would be occupied by the passenger and instead of 72 passengers to be precise, the general coach would carry 250 passengers. Just calculate the amount they get through those over loaded passengers and that of reserved passengers. Moreover the general coach passengers are floating population. That means the passengers would be alighting and many would be boarding. By the time the train finishes the journey, the general coach would have definitely catered to the needs of at least 700 passengers on daily basis. This I am telling on normal days. When there is festive time, there can be more rush. Every train has two to 4 general coaches and the government is bound to give this service for the poor. And the Railways are reaping profits for no comfort.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Railways should limit general tickets to some extent. If there is 100 seats, they should sell 150 tickets only. If people not able to get in general coach due to heavy crowd, obliviously they land in to reserved coaches. Railway can attach more number of coaches, separate unreserved trains.
    Thanks,
    Suresh.

Suresh Kumar, the general ticket issued for the day is valid on any train passing through the destination station and hence the Railways feel that they are at liberty to sell any number of tickets. And the general ticket holders have the tendency to adjust even without seats.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Both the railways and the common passengers know the difficulty in travelling in unreserved class. Don't you see the buses getting overloaded where passengers hang on the footboard and travel. When the passengers are ready to travel without any comfort, why should railways worry. There may be days when the train moves with very less passengers in unreserved class. However, as suggested, railways should attach more in number unreserved coaches depending upon the situations like festival days, holidays, week-ends etc.
    No life without Sun ¤

Sign In to post your comments