You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: IndiaStudyChannel.com

Virtual Gift Shop - Proposal to change the feature

Dear friends,

As of now, we allow members to send virtual gifts to other members. For each virtual gift received, the recipient will receive 5 points. To avoid abuse of this feature, we have a lot of restrictions in place in sending/receiving virtual gifts.

We are considering removing the POINTS from the virtual gifts and relax the rules to allow more frequent usage of virtual gifts.

The proposed feature is, the recipient of a virtual gift will not receive any points. This also means the points earned from past virtual gifts also will be removed. However, you will be able to send/receive a lot more virtual gifts compared to the past.

Let us know your thoughts on this.
    Good move from the Web Master Tony and the new proposed policy would be welcomed by all as there would be more gifts pouring in from members for their progress and achievement.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Webmaster,
    For this, should we spend our time and energy to go to ISC virtual gift shop to send a gift which has no value. The same can be conveyed through the forum responses without any pain or strain. A gift presented should have some value. Even a single point would suffice.

Just have one token point for each gift without any restriction for sending/receiving gifts.

I am not in favour of your proposal as the gift shop will not be visited by members. The gift items will become dusty and rusty.

No life without Sun ¤

Sun,

We can consider the virtual gift shop like a New Year greeting card. The traditional greeting cards carry no monetary or tangible value other than the "feel" associated with it. Why don't we consider the Virtual Gift in the same manner?

regards,
    Tony John
    Webmaster - IndiaStudyChannel.com

No, Mr. Tony,
    A greeting card has to be bought from the shop by spending few paise and we need to spend something on it. At ISC no one looks at a greeting and value it. Either the sender or receiver should feel the value of the greetings.

Further, it is not once in a year or once in a month. It is a daily affair to send gifts at ISC.

No life without Sun ¤

What I suggest that in gift shop some good smileys and stickers can also be kept so that whole new feeling can be expressed by exchanging pleasantries. I am also not favoring any points associated with gifts sent.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Initially, ISC was lavish with virtual gift shops providing 50 points for an exotic car, 30 points for a gold coin, 25 for a cake, 20 for a teddy bear etc. But all from the members account. Members don't expect cash, but only points. ISC should not be burdened with cash awards, but there should not be any restriction in awarding points. The above can be followed with restrictions. But if ISC desires to make it liberal, then it should reduce the points awarded to a gift. 5 points to a gift may be too big, but a single point to a single gift should not affect ISC.

Is our ISC treasure is deficient with shortage of points to award?

Propose following:
    1.Each gift awarded should carry only one point.(Should be deducted from the senders account /added to the receivers account)
    2.Each member should be eligible to send only one gift in a week to only one member.

No life without Sun ¤

@Tony
    By deleting previous points, whether the points will be returned to the original member.

Also, there were some members who sent gift according to the prizes and according to the points and hence if those are deleted then the purpose/charm has been reduced and hence I would like the admin to consider only now onwards without touching the earlier one.

Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

A person when he or she gifting through virtual gift shop means they like to loose their points to show their feeling of happiness on certain merit what they found. Any member don't like to lose their points without any improper sense. To show that good feeling of the member ISC should allow to gift good number of points according to the wish of the member. So it is not good to pose a restriction on this feature. I also not in favor of eliminating the previous points also with this new rule.

Mr. Tony,
    You have said that all the points earned earlier will be removed. Why? Is it not an unjustified action? It is not done in any organisation. It is like taking away the awards/certificates awarded once. Kindly reconsider and alter your decision about removal of points earned earlier by the sincere and hardworking ISCian.

If such is the case, and virtual gifts are just dummy gifts without any cash or points value, let us not have any such shop at ISC. The shop's shutter can be down and locked forever.

No life without Sun ¤

There may be a price tag on a gift for the buyer, but there is not any price tag on the gift for a receiver of the gift. Only the sentiments and emotions count while giving or receiving a gift. Those who value the gifts received by its price tag do not value the sentiments of the person who is giving the gift.

A good friend is also a gift of God. Do we put a price tag on our respective friendships or any other relation, for that matter? NO. That is how I feel about the points attached to the gifts in ISC's virtual gift shop.

So,

! The receiver of the gift should not get any points at all. The gift should be a gift in its true sense- priceless.

!! Refer - 'The points earned from past virtual gifts will be removed' - that will be a bit too harsh for all those who put a value to points earned so far. A system can be devised so that it does not have any effect on the points received from the gifts received before the new rules come into play. If it is not possible or is difficult or is too time consuming to devise such a system, then the receiver should receive just one point.

!!! There should not be any restriction on number of gifts a member can send per week/month/whatsoever period. If at all the admin anticipate the abuse of this 'no restrictions' thing , then a member should be allowed to send/give a minimum of 2-3 gifts per week or per ten days (as a makeshift arrangement).

!!!! Please replace the red rose in the gift shop by (not with) a yellow flower for obvious reasons (smiling)!

When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

I have no comments to offer in this regard. During my ongoing tenure of 17 months with ISC, I have received only 12 gifts (and 60 points). I have sent even lesser (less than 12) number of gifts, mainly to those who were declared winner in the contests organised by me. So, de-linking gifts from points would not affect me much.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Let us not have any restrictions as to the number of gifts a member can send. Let not the recipient receive any points. I suggest that the system be adjusted to just reduce a particular number of points from the sender according to the gifts being sent. And I do agree with the suggestions from others that the points already gained through gifts should not be touched upon.
    "To be proud of knowledge is to be blind with light" - Benjamin Franklin

I have gone through all the suggestions. Here is the final decision:

1. The recipient will not receive any points when receiving a gift.

2. Sender will not lose any points while sending a gift.

3. There will not be much restrictions on sending/receiving gifts but to avoid abuse there will be some limits which you may not reach as long as you are within reasonable limits.

4. Points from the past gifts will remain and will not be removed.

5. You can delete received gifts and it will not affect your points.

I will be building this system in the near future.

regards,
    Tony John

Since the rule have changed in ISC gift shop, no one but only one particular member has got big problem and issue. Webmaster should look into this matter seriously that whether the "gifts" are sent just purely for appreciations or to wooing members just to get "favour" or "support". In other words, sending unnecessarily "gift" works like a BRIBE too which has its silent impact and first step to bring "corruption" in any organisation.

However, changing rules just because to relax "one particular" member is nothing but "favouritism".

I accept the decision of the Webmaster. So, there would not be much restriction in sending gifts. And sending or receiving gifts won't affect the points of the Members.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

The virtual gifts feature is changing. Read more
    regards,
    Tony John

The idea having been finalized, I am locking this thread now.
    "To be proud of knowledge is to be blind with light" - Benjamin Franklin

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.