You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Your favorite English word

We all know that English language has lakhs of words in use today. I am asking you to mention the word which is your favorite 'but is difficult for you to use often'. Share your first encounter with the word, its meaning and the related sentence if you can recall it. Please also mention as to why is it your favorite word?

My favorite word is: magnum opus
    I first encountered this word in a magazine named "News and Event" describing the work of the artist in an exhibition. My elder brother is an artist and likes to use this word for his works.
    Hmm, I guess I have no favorites. I never was fond of anything. But I do use a word a lot.
    It's "well". My conversation or reply cannot move forward without this word.
    Maybe it's because "well" rises up the spirit and seeks attention of the listener.
    Nowadays I'm using it a lot. Kind of addicted to it.
    Well, that's my favorite word. ( I did it again).

I have no favourite English word(s). As a student of a Bengali-medium school, it is really very difficult for me to write 'kam-chalao' (passable) English. I can't even imagine to resort to favouritism!
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

My favorite English word is challenge. By the word we can understand the tricky situation of a person and he has been put on hold or put into test so that a new learning experience would come out of that. Only through challenges we have learned many things. Right from the tiny tot age we have been facing challenges at every corner of life and that gave the scope for our own development. I wont agree with the persons that they wont like challenges. If there is no challenge, there is no competition and if there is no competition, that situation is considered monopoly and that is boring.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

There are many English words which fascinate me. They create a spark and energy when I use them. The whole gamut of writing and its peripherals interest me so much that words start to look alive, each having its distinguished flavour.
    One of my favourite word is persistence. It gives me a feeling of continued efforts. A person can work hard for a small time but it is the 'persistently working hard' which pays in long run.
    Persistence is the key to rise, key to success and key to the unseen treasures.
    It reminds me of all similar good words - perseverance, determination, staying power, firmness of purpose, patience, endurance, dedication and commitment.

Knowledge is power.

Sign In to post your comments