You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Are smaller districts administratively more manageable?

All State Governments do this. The latest example has been provided by the Government. of West Bengal. On 14th February, 2017, A new district named Kalimpong has been created from Darjeeling district. Let us go into details.

Earlier Darjeeling district consisted of four Sub-Divisions, viz., Darjeeling, Kalimpong, Kurseong and Siliguri. Out of these four Sub-Divisions, geographically Siliguri is included in Terai region and other three are in Hill region. So, logically, if a new District was required to be created, Siliguri should have been separated. Instead, Kalimpong Sub-Division has been taken away and a new district has been created in the name of administrative convenience.

Why has this been done? Political observers say that this has been done to placate a leader of hill region (who is Kalimpong-based), who is supporting the ruling party in the State. However, the State Government gives the old excuse of administrative convenience.

In this context, I would like to know whether smaller districts are really convenient to manage from administrative point of view? Is this the reality of creating smaller administrative units after independence?
    I strongly support the creation of small states and also small districts for the faster and speedier development local wise. We in Telangana are experiencing the new state with 31 new districts and the work is fast and brisk. We need not go to far of places to approach any Ministry head or otherwise. Every new district is having one office and in that from the Collector and every departments concerned to the new district is situated including the local civil and criminal courts. So having a small district is really beneficial to the locals and I hope Kalimpong will also manage the development with ease.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Mohan: There mustbe some basis of creating new district. As I have already stated, if new district was required to be created outof Darjeeling district, Siliguri Sub-Dvision was required to be separated. Instead, because of political consideration, Kalimpong Sub-Division has been made a new District. Ridiculous!

Moreover, smaller states or districts don't necessarily result in more efficient administration.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Partha based on locals demand the state must have created the new district that way. Moreover , new district means new constructions and new activities which enables the politicians to earn money.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Whatever may be the reasons to do so, either political or public, decisions are being taken by the states one or after another. Well, the power is being decentralised limiting the geographical areas may be advantageous in the form of development. But the amount of interest shown in bifurcation, even minimum percentage out of that interest is not being shown to fulfill the aims and targets of such bifurcation. I quote here a small example, the then govt. bifurcated Andhra Pradesh and formed two states Andhra Pradesh and Telangana but even till today either of the state has its own Governor. Same Governor is looking after two states. Similarly, Telangana has divided the 10 districts into 31 districts but where are the 31 District Collectors and his team in the downline. When the issues cannot be bifurcated administratively, no need of bifurcation politically, I believe. When full pledged administration is not posted in any set up, there will be no change at all whatever be the size of the set up.

As Partha Sir said, if at all district is to be formed out of those four divisions, Siliguri can be done as per its geographical entity. But the bifurcation done as per the hidden agenda of the politicians only, I understood.

Sign In to post your comments