You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

We don't agree to others mostly due to assumption. Do you agree?

When we have some discussion and mostly people will not agree to others even they know that is right and mostly it depends on the people's assumption that other persons may not know.

Though I termed it generally, specifically in other thread when I say something, there was an assumption that I am wrong due to assumption with my writing skills but that does not mean I do not know technical things.

While summing up also, the member summed up as tech issue when he initially said as bug and even WM said the problem is resolved and did not commit what was the cause of the problem.

Members your views.
    Yes indeed, due to many assumptions we may be considered not knowledgeable about things that are not our usual forte. In the thread you mentioned, it is possible that the bug (I think when any of us talk in the forum about a bug we do mean a technical glitch) was a result of the new template. Perhaps some feature of the new template created the glitch. How would we know? As you said, the Webmaster did not give the cause of it since it is not necessary that he would need to do so.

In the thread, on the face of it, it does look as though it was implied "You don't know a jot about technical stuff. Why are you responding?" Perhaps the wording in the response was interpreted by you like that. Keep in mind, though, that just as you gave your opinion, so also did the author of the thread. It is not necessary that the thread author's will agree with those who respond and vice-versa. That is the beauty of the forum - we can all agree to disagree but have a perfectly amiable discussion on it. We've all, at some time or the other, experienced such assumptions. The real fact is that everyone just has their own manner of conveying something and words may often get misinterpreted, maybe more likely due to the tone in which it is conveyed rather than in the literal sense of the message conveyed (there - I am assuming the reason!)

Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

Saroja,

Since you are referring to my thread and my wordings, I feel I have a responsibility to answer here.

Without beating around the bush, I will come straight to the point. What do you want - an explanation or an apology without any explanation?

Let me know, I am ready for both!

When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

People have different mind set and your way of thinking and my way of thinking cannot sync nor match at any point. But when we come to a discussion table , out of context some times we may agree with others just on assumptions but again that may not be our final approval. God has given wavering mind to many and they cannot get into understanding level with others and for that one cannot waste time convincing and confusing. So we have to take the things in to our stride and then move on. If we go deep into every aspect only discussions to abusive level would arise and no solution in sight.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Thanks Vandana for your explanation and agree if author just disagreed without concluding the same of 'wrong'.

@Gypsy, I do not want either, as the thread is closed after WM response, I could not give my response there itself. I felt, at least at the time of summing up, when you said tech issue, I have expected that some words about your disagreement to that effect in the earlier response.

I feel, bug is different from tech issue and we have seen in many instances, the response would have been 'bug is fixed' while here, the response is 'resolved now' and I hope there is a difference in it.

I would like to close this thread but before, even in some other threads when we say about different happening about new templates, again the members have responded that this issue is with browser but I am using all the browsers google, mozilla and explorer and there are issues which we have not faced in earlier template but now it is happening then and there and I hope it is mind set of people who are used to the earlier (user friendly template wanted to have the same features).

Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

Saroja,

Make up your mind. On one hand you are saying - " I do not want either" and on the other hand you are talking about - "I have expected that some words about your disagreement to that effect".

Want me to fulfill your expectations, then I am ready for that too. Don't just assume anything. Let us clarify the issue for once and all. If I was wrong there, then I would graciously accept my mistake. No issues with that either.

Please do let me know what exactly do you want?

When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

Mind it that I have not responded to anything what others have said in this thread. They are free to make their own assumptions and conclusions and whatnot.

Editors are requested not to lock the thread.

Gypsy,

A reminder: We (I have been wrongly doing so too) should stop using HTML tags to underline words or put them in italics since members were instructed not to do so in their threads and responses. Only in announcements we use tags as and when required.

I would also suggest that, as you yourself said, you should not beat around the bush. Why don't you explain and clarify what you did mean? Why this back and forth of asking whether Saroja wants this or that? Can't you just get to the point and resolve the issue!

Vandana,

I just do not understand what Saroja wants. Does she want to understand what I meant in that thread, I am game for that. If her ego was hurt when I said that she is wrong, then I am ready to apologize without bothering who was right & who was wrong, just to finish the issue quickly.

You too need not get angry at me. I am not challenging any observations, assumptions & conclusions you made or might have made.

Regarding HTML, well, my bad, forgot about that. Will not do so again.

I do not know technical terms and would use the two terms synonymously and not think that there is much difference between the two words.

However, I looked up the words on the net and came across a discussion that describes the two words as follows:

• Glitch – A glitch is something that is unexpected and momentary and is a result of a bug. What I understand is that it is a malfunction that may be caused by a bug
    • Bugs – Bugs are caused by errors in the coding

Even the dictionary describes the two words differently. So, yes technically the two words are different. One cannot be substituted for the other.

Underestimate me...that'll be fun!

Gypsy,

I am not angry. I am exasperated! Why ask Saroja at all is what I am saying. Why don't you just explain what you meant. Also, you should never ask somebody if an apology is required. Just apologize if you genuinely feel it in your heart and you do think it was necessary to do so.

Also, one thing from my long experience here - Saroja is one of the few members who hasn't displayed ego issues. She has always maintained a certain dignity. Here, too, I think (I am making an assumption again), that Saroja was likely just miffed at the implication you made and it is not an ego issue (that was assumed by another member). As I said, perhaps the tone you used conveyed a wrong impression and she may have got confused due to the difference in words.

So I repeat - get to the point please and clarify to Saroja. Stop further explanations to me or others.

Vandana,

I shall explain if I understand her issue, which I do not, frankly speaking. I am not going to assume she meant this or that. Even you are just assuming that she is miffed at my choice of words or my tone.

She may be hurt since I called her wrong. She may be hurt because she assumed something which I never said or even implied. Basically, these assumptions on everybody's part are creating the commotion & exasperation.

@ Juana, welcome to the thread! Can you please explain the issue raised in this thread in plain words without assuming anything?

"We don't agree to others mostly due to assumption. Do you agree?" I agree with you. The reason (and this is in reference to the general discussion, not based on the content of the thread and the to and fro rally). We do not agree because discussions are generally not deliberations, but more about coming out the winner, or as the one who is right. We do not listen to understand, we listen to respond. The response is focused more to prove that we are right and the other wrong. We do not like to change our stand or acknowledge that someone is right for a change.

But then, if we just agree with the other there is no room for discussion. We become marionettes in the hands of the marionettist. On the other hand, if we have a view, we get branded as having egos.

Gypsy,

I think the issue revolves around two words 'technical problem' and 'bug'. You used the latter in the title, while Saroja thought it's not a bug, but a technical glitch. She used technical terms, which to be honest I did not know meant different things. To me, a glitch was a bug and vice versa.

I do not want to point fingers at anyone, but the dictionary meanings describe bugs as problems with the coding while technical glitch is something that causes a sudden break in the functions which for instance can be rectified by perhaps rebooting the system. A glitch does not require coding to be corrected, but if a problem involves changes in the coding, then it is a bug.

This is how I understand it.

By the way let me correct. my ego word was not directed to Saroja but to that member who run to show his supremacy over Saroja. I am here for such a long time that I know whose ego gets hurt more often then not.

Juana,

Refer #591402 (your latest response), you are saying that the issue is regarding the meaning of the two words - 'technical problem' and 'bug'

Vandana is saying that my words & tone were rude. Refer her response in #591306, her very first response in this thread
    "In the thread, on the face of it, it does look as though it was implied "You don't know a jot about technical stuff. Why are you responding?" Perhaps the wording in the response was interpreted by you like that."

And I think it is something else than what Juana & Vandana think. So, am I wrong in asking what exactly is the issue here?

duplicate post

Gypsy,

Well, there is a difference in my response and that of Vandana's. I responded to your question, giving my view to what I thought the issue was. I cannot comment on what she meant and why she responded in a particular way. That is for her to answer. I would not have gone into the details and commented on the subject had you not asked me to.

@Jeet – Your message was deleted before I could read it, so the use of the word 'ego' was not directed at you.

Also, chill, let go of the past. Forget whatever happened and move on.

Juana, Thanks, I am trying to 'Chill' myself and won't comment on the basis of my past experience. However, I needed to clear my stand.

Do not lock the thread please.

@Editors: why the irrelevant responses to the thread have not been deleted?

Jeets, it would be better if you start responding to a thread than to individual authors. Please do not make this forum a platform to vent out your personal feelings. Kindly do not deviate from the topic under discussion.
    Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance- George Bernard Shaw.

Would our respected editor will allow me to say on my defence or keep putting up their own words and deleting my words even if it is not against any forum policy?

Jeets, please refer to my response at #591498. You are most welcome to post responses that are relevant to the thread. Let us stop digging graves; it stinks! In case you are bent upon treading the earlier path, you may do so by raising a different thread which will be, needless to say, subject to moderation as is with all threads.
    Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance- George Bernard Shaw.

None of the serious participants in this thread seems to be interested in continuing the discussion, if we can call that one!

I would like to conclude my point by saying that Saroja's response in my thread in reference was out of context. She did not understand what I was asking about, as did not some of other participants in the thread.

If there is any further development in this thread, I will certainly join in, otherwise, this thread may be locked as and when deemed fit by editors.

Saji,
    my first response was - " I think once again someone's ego has got hurt. There are way to say things. A "guide" and a "helper" of ISC should set an example and clear the situation amicably without getting hurt."

What was wrong in this? Where did I dig my past? can you please explain me?

My another reply which you deleted was - When a member uses such statement - He makes his "AK47 ready to counter member who don't get agree with him" this statement don't get deleted.
    My this post too was relevant to the thread which was said against my deletion.

Is it the first time a thread gets diverted. And do you delete all post in other thread which are irrelevant?

Just what you say from your educated brain is correct? Others are fool who all seeing your drama?

Recently in a thread Your ME has apologies and said that she will make sure that no bias decision will be taken. Is this what your administration mean?

You jump to bark at me is not new and you favour a member is too is not new. Once you had asked me that I should prove you that where you favour such member. Then this thread is one of example the way you are obliging to a particular member.

Before pointing finger at me if you had view your face in mirror it would have done world of good to ISC.

And one more thing Saji and our respected Editor, If you want to debate, debate it without deleting my post so that other members too should know that what conversation is going on. Deleting only my post and keeping only your words can show only yours weakness.

Jeets, I will not respond to your rants for the time being; not because I have nothing to say, but because I think there is no point in doing so. I am reminded of an old saying but would prefer not to quote the same here.

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.