You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Problems/Complaints

A matter of expected forum behaviour

I find my surname has been published in a recently announced award - Star of the Year Award Winners. While I am very thankful that my name features in such a prestigious announcement, I do not understand how my surname got included in the notice. I am registered as Juana on this site, and expect all announcements that mention me, by name, to have the name I am registered in.

I am not embarrassed by my name, but am questioning how appropriate is it to include details, in a public announcement, that only a few are in the know of. Should details that a member has not furnished on the site be part of any announcement?
    It seems to be a controversial issue for which ISC can only respond in a better way. When a member wants to be called and referred by a particular name means that must be followed and there is no question of digging further. Moreover having registered with a name and how come the surname surfaced in the award citation. But one more thing , had the author furnished her full name including surname to the site while registering. Probably that might have been taken into consideration as the star of the year award is the most prestigious award and every award needs to be presented with full name of the recipient.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

duplicate
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

It is very important that we must address people with correct spellings of their names.
    If my name is misspelt I will naturally feel offended.

I have an observation to make that many times people unintentionally make an error in the spelling of a name and as there are people who in order to save time do a lot of cut and paste, these errors propagate further.

As a member of ISC I feel it is our prime duty to correct such silly mistakes on the first opportunity with due apologies.

Knowledge is power.

Juana, agreed that it was a mistake and should have been avoided. The same stands corrected now. The error was, needless to say, unintentional and might have crept in due to an oversight and probably because the author is used to remembering you by your full name. Moreover, as Mohan has suggested, the author might have felt that it would be nice to mention the full name since the announcement is on the most prestigious award in ISC. Anyway, sorry for the inconvenience.

I am locking this thread now with your permission.

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.