You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Suggestions

ISC members may cut short their names to avoid misspelling of their names.

Quite often there is a complaint from members that their name is misspelled by other members as their name is complicated to spell correctly. At times there are typos. To avoid this, I suggest that ISCians may cut short their names and make it easy for others to spell it properly without any mistake. If the shortened name is not pronounceable, they may use their initials as their profile name. This will provide additional security to their identity.

What is your take on this suggestion?
    Sun, by making this suggestion, I think you are intervening into a matter that purely rests with individual choice and preferences. One's name is related to one's identity and I personally would not like to use a different name for the convenience of those who address me by name. It is basically the responsibility of the person who prefer to address me by name to ensure that he spells my name correctly. Let us ignore typo errors which may happen occasionally but otherwise it is something to be taken care of.
    Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

Saji,
    In a family, when a child is born, they christen the child with a long or a difficult name due to compulsion. And they always choose to have a short name for easy pronunciation and addressing. Hence I suggested this. Why not we hide our name and use a nickname or pet name or the initials which provide more security to a person.

For e.g. My good name is R. Meenakshi Sundaram. It is a difficult name to spell or write, especially by the people from the north of India. Some one would write it as -
    Meenashi/Meenachi/Meenasi/Minachi/Menachi/ Sundram/Sundrem/Sandram/Sendram. Hence I shortened it as 'SUN'(Taking the first three alphabets of my beautiful name Sundaram) I am fortunate enough to have my name as 'Sun'.

No life without Sun ¤

Mr Sun,

Then you will start accusing people of changing their names and hiding their identities or entering through backdoor.

When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

Gypsy,
    Sure, You are right. Once you have your own short name established and familiar with the ISCian, there is no need to change the name. One has to choose their profile name in advance or immediately after joining ISC or any other site.

No life without Sun ¤

Then why this thread?
    When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

This is a suggestion and an advice to all the members concerned to ensure that their name is shortened for easy pronunciation and writing. Your name could be misspelled as Jipsy/Gipsy/Gypsi/Gybsy etc. If you are tolerant to accept it, then do not worry about your good name.
    No life without Sun ¤

This issue was discussed earlier too, and there was not a consensus on the issue at that time, if i remember correctly.

The onus is not on me to accept it or not; it should be on the author to write my name correctly.

The author cannot intervene in this matter. Like me some members are having short names which are easy to read and write also. But many members are having lengthy names which may not be possible to remember and we may make mistake. We cannot help in this case.. Why because , names are christened with lots of deliberations in the family and some wont like to shorten or call with short name. When ISC has no problem in accepting the name with so much length, we the members should also not bother about the same. The author has the liberty to address the member in short name. Like I write Partha Kansabanik as just Partha.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Mohan,
    Not an intervention but a recommendation for betterment. It is only a suggestion to have a shortened name in a virtual site where you and me do not know each other. One should have their original name for cash transaction by giving their name as listed in their bank account. Otherwise, a nickname or pet name or any other shortened name as profile name will meet the purpose. If Mohan is addressed as Moha by his friends and relatives, ISC too can have the name Moha for Mohan.

No life without Sun ¤

The author has given very well suggestion to the member. I take this thread as a suggestion and not as intervene. The suggestion is followed by those members to whom it appeals and the member who does not agree should go with their view. My view on that is, the change should appeal to you. One should not shorten one's name for other.
    Prasanna
    Well done is better than well said

Sign In to post your comments