You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Want to visit some unknown/little known hill station? (Part-I: Haflong)

During summer, Indian people visit the hill stations. Nowadays, the major hill stations of India become very congested during summer. Getting suitable accommodation becomes problematic during peak season. So let us try to find out some smaller hill stations where tourists generally don't visit. But let me assure you that the natural beauty of these places is more enchanting than the well-known hill stations.

Haflong: Haflong is the district headquarter of Dima Hasao district of Assam. It is the only hill station of the state. Mainly Dimasa tribesmen lives in this place. The town is sparsely populated. The natural beauty cannot be described by words. This hill station is full of pine and blue orchids. Some people call the town 'valley of flowers'. Not only flowers or orchids, the tourists can see rare birds at Haflong. Orange and various other fruits are easily available and these fruits are astonishingly cheap. At the centre of the town, there is a beautiful lake where tourists can engage in boating. Tourists can also walk down the Mall and attempt para-gliding.

The nearest airport is Shillong. The distance from Shillong to Haflong is around 250 Km. From Guwahati the tourists can come by train.

Members, want to visit this picturesque town named Haflong? In Dimasa language, Haflong means ant-hill.
    My appreciation to the author by describing the beautiful and wonderful hill station Haflong as just half furlong away with his nice description. Surely we the South Indians are not aware of the best tourist places in the NE region and for the first time I am coming across the place mentioned by the author. Why the Assam Government or the Indian Tourism department is not giving advertisements about such beautiful places and hill station which is one of the kind in NE region. Surely when time permits and mood comes , I want to visit NE region and also this place mentioned by author.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Sign In to post your comments