You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Competition Entries

Confidential mission and the honest duty of our Heroes

I was watching new released movie "Ghazi Attack". In the movie there was a situation, they had to face the enemy. Since theirs was a confidential mission and there was not official war declared at particular time, their bravery could not be opened to show to the world (since it was a secret search mission), still they fought with such bravery without even thinking that whether they would get any recognition of their bravery or not. Such thought runs in soldier's mind that they want to save their Motherland anyway and anyhow. It is an honest selfless duty done by them.

Just imagine how many of our Heroes are in such confidential mission who never gets a chance to come in to History books, whom we are unknown, still they are doing their duty for his/her Motherland, for their Country for the people of India, to keep us safe.

The movie may or may not be true to its incidents but our heroes are always true to their duty, to our Country and their people. A big salute to them for what they do.

(TOW Entry)
    Great thoughts from the author. By connecting the confidential mission often undertaken by the soldiers of our country with that of Tow topic, you made a great mention about tireless service of armed forces who may not act for recognition but for the safeguard of the country. We are really indebted to each and every soldier for their relentless fight against terrorism knowing fully well their life at the risk. I received a image of a soldier who clicked taking a siesta not because of compulsion, but because of fatigue.. Our brave heroes has to live in the challenging conditions of weather..
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Jeets has raised such a thread about which I was planning to write in details. I have acquired little bit of knowledge (or information?) about sinking of PNS Ghazi just outside the Vizag harbour (Eastern Naval Command) by INS Rajput, a Destroyer of Indian Navy, and also by Ghazi's own underwater mines. On 4th December 1971, PNS Ghazi sank with all 92 men on board including Commander Zafar Muhammad Khan.

Last week, I was forced to watch a film on sinking of Ghazi. I could not watch it for more than half an hour. The film is totally inaccurate and unduly dramatized. While INS Rajput was a Destroyer, in the film, an Indian submarine has been shown. I request the Members not to watch this factually inaccurate film.

The actual event of sinking of Ghazi just outside Vizag harbour was extremely eventful and interesting (both from Indian and Pakistani points of view). I read about this in detail while I was having my Defence Studies papers. I am planning to write an article on this great event of sinking of PNS Ghazi on 4th December, 1971 (just two days before the war commenced).

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Partha, You are right the film was more a drama than real. I too have read those interesting story about how the PNS Ghazi was trapped and destroyed. This is why I have added in the end of my thread "The movie may or may not be true to the real incident. ..."

However, It be really interesting if you brief that story in this post and later you write an article. We will never tired of listening to our real heroes bravery stories.

Mr. Jeets: Sinking of PNS Ghazi is a very long stoy amd involved detailed planning by both Indian Eastern Naval Command and Pakistani Navy. It requires a long presentation. However, let me try to give snippets of information.

Planning for war started in Pakistan by May, 1971 (after Operation Searchlite). As an exception, Pakistany Navy always believed the superiority of Indian Navy. So, their plan was to create maximum attrition to Indian Navy. Paki Navy never fought to defeat Indian Navy, but to cause maximum damage.

India's only aircraft carrier INS Vikrant was transferred from Western Naval Command to Eastern Naval Command in Sept. 1971. Its task was to blockade Chittagong port and to establish absolute marine superiority in Bay of Bengal general area. It was being re-fitted at Vizag (HQ, Eastern Naval Command).

Paki Navy's ultimate aim was to destroy INS Vikrant . If not possible, then their plan was to confine INS Vikrant in Vizag harbour, so that it can't take part in the war. For this purose, Pakistan Navy sent its best available submarine, PNS Ghazi in the vicinity of Vizag during the first week of November, 1971 itself. Ghazi started mining the entrance channel of Vizag harbour since November.

Vice Admiral N. Krishnan, the fat, short but extremely shrewd Eastern Naval Commander, anticipated Paki move well in advance. Later his anticipation was corroborated by Paki signals intercepted by India. Vice-Admiral Krishnan also understood the presence of Paki spy at Vizag. He made a brilliant deception plan.

He chose the oldest Destroyer of Indian Navy, INS Rajput, and its captain, Lt. Cdr. Inder Singh to carry out the deception plan. INS Rajput, which was on the verge of retirement, was sent for elaborate re-fitting and painting. It came out of Vizag harbour on the night of 3rd December, 1971.

Pakistani spies stationed at Vizag fell for the deception plan lock, stock and barrell. Immediate information was sent to Karachi Naval Headquarter that INS Vikrant came out of Vizag harbour. From Karachi, immediate order went to PNS Ghazi hiding outside the Vizag to attack INS Vikrant. PNS Ghazi came out of the sea. INS Rajput identified its signature and released two depth charges. These two hit PNS Ghazi. At the same time, it fell on its own mines kept at the bottom of the sea. That was the end of PNS Ghazi, winner of two decorations of Sitara-e-Jurrat, one Tamgha-i-Jurrat, and the President's citations and six Imtiazi Sanads.

On 4th December, 1971, immediately after midnight, people of Vizag got out of their bed hearing a loud explosion. Pakistan Navy lost its most precious submarine even before the commencement of the war. PNS Ghazi commander Zafar Muhammad Khan most probably understood before his death that he had been fooled. The Indian ship was not INS Vikrant. It was the old Destroyer, INS Rajput, which was on the verge of retirement.

Thank you Partha, for taking pain and narrating the true story, the same story I too have read. However, movie might have their different ideas which doesn't match with actual situation.

No matter, this thread has got valued with your detailed post. There are many who might know the past which we have gone through.

Partha,
    While picturising a story of the past history, we won't be able to bring back the real players. We cannot bring back the original PNS Ghazi and the Destroyer INS Rajput. Recently I watched a film 'Rustom' in which actor Akshay Kumar plays the role of Commander Nanavathy. A criminal case from the sixties. The actor has a mustache, whereas, in the past, the naval officers and sailors were not permitted to grow mustaches. Also, the officer wears a long pant which was not available to the navy then. It was only a wide half pant. But the film was good. It could tell a story. That's all. Similar is the case with Ghazi attack.

No life without Sun ¤

I have seen the first thirty minutes of the film 'Ghazi'. From where has the Indian submarine arrived the scene?

Partha,
    In reality, we cannot bring a Pakistan submarine to play the role of Ghazi. Also, we Indian Navy won't allow its submarine to be painted like Pakistan submarine or any other submarine, even for fun. The navy would lose its dignity by doing so. Presumptions and assumptions should be accepted in the films.

No life without Sun ¤

• Sign In to post your comments