You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Requests

Forum footer messages: A humble request to ISCians

Friends,

Please consider this not as an imposition but a very simple, humble request from an ISCian who is deeply pained at all the on-goings. In your forum footer you could put nice quotes which are only inspirational in nature. That was the original purpose of the forum footer, other than putting URLs of our posts (this was later not allowed due to spamming.) Do avoid putting taunts, statements and indirect messages which target one another. We are all part of one virtual family. Let's be nice to each other please. It is not too difficult!

The same request for messages which are posted in the social hub.

This request is being made to all, including editors. Let's see some really good, new forum footers!
    Yes I can understand that by putting forum footer with taunts or with indirect messages it would certainly hurt the members or the persons who read them. For that matter my forum footer is very inspirational and one can get cue from it.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

A good request from ME. But ISC should ensure to delete such irrelevant/personal attack footers, as and when noticed, without any notice to the member.

@ I can still see some irrelevant footer loitering around ISC. ISC Admin should take care to delete them.

No life without Sun ¤

In this connection, I would like to have some clarifications. So far as Forum Footers are concerned, if I use some terrible quotes from great people, will those be allowed? Secondly, can I use my own self-created slogans (as I am presently using) as Forum Footers in future also?
    So far as Social Hub messages are concerned, I would like to know whether the Members can share their feelings with other Members through Social Hub?

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Sharing your feelings with the members should practically be done through private messages. Doing it through social hub may not be good idea. However, that remains to be my personal opinion.
    Nevertheless, a good suggestion from the ME. The remarks that make no sense or derogatory in nature should never be used. In my opinion, the forum footer you use indicates your inner personality. If you want to show your real personality trait, do stick to what you really believe in.

Live....and Let Live...!

Partha,

What exactly is meant by "terrible" quotes? As long as the quotes are within the levels of decency and not aggressively aimed at members here, it would be allowed. The Webmasters can always remove the forum footer if found to be inappropriate. Same applies for self-created slogans. The current one of yours is just fine.

As for the social hub, you can share what is on your mind as it does say "Share your thoughts" but this does not mean using it to pointedly make a remark about somebody's behaviour or an editorial action. Wit, humour, sarcasm all are fine as long as one does not overstep limits. Note too that there is the comment feature, wherein you can comment on somebody's post there instead of just using the like feature. A comment is basically a reaction. That is fine as well within its own appropriate limits. Even unloading one's own feelings does help a bit, but that I personally think it would be better to do through a personal mail and if something is deeply troubling a member, then he/she could share the problem via the AE section. Even a bit of light chit-chat is OK, but one should not go overboard in using it literally like a social media platform. As in the case of forum footers, social hub posts too can be deleted if found unsuitable in any manner. Use it wisely.

The bottomline: everyone is surely mature enough to understand limits of what is allowed.

Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

It is very very necessary that members should refrain from posting offensive and insulting posts and that applies to forum footer also.
    I have no intention of preaching but ISC being purely an academic portal, all of us should try to maintain its dignity and ambience. That will be beneficial for the growth of ISC and if ISC grows I think all of us will be benefitted.

Knowledge is power.

Don't I have freedom of expression? Can't I express my feelings? Can't a Member even type a word of protest against deletion of threads without any rhyme or reason? In every literature, forum ( online or offline), social and cultural platform, satire is allowed. Only in two places, satire is not allowed nowadays. One is TMC (Mamata Baerjee) ruled West Bengal and another is ISC.

Partha,

Do calm down. We are not curbing protests. Aren't we allowing members to post protests via forum threads? Isn't that the purpose of the complaints category of the forum? Let's not use the social hub for such protests.

For the Forum Editors:

"Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty." ? Henry David Thoreau

[Duplicate response]

Regarding the quote in response #592455: It is necessary to maintain obedience to what the admin requires of us. In such a case, disobedience is deliberate defiance, not liberty of expression, and will not have good consequences.

(Note - I have removed the bold tags from the response as these are not allowed.)

Madam,

Along with removal of bold tags, you have added a 'note of interrogation' also.

Partha, I am sorry to notice that you have been turning same like like another member who always finds faults with the team and the editors. You should understand that any site has its own rules and policies and needs to work on those lines. Picking faults with everything that the team does is not what one would expect from a senior member.
    This thread is about the forum footers and a responsible member will not find fault with the guidelines and suggestion put forth by the ME.
    Having freedom of expression does not mean being aggressive and careless towards others. Seriously I never expected this kind of arrogance from you.

Live....and Let Live...!

Timmappa, can you please guide us, how should one react if they find fault on editors?

Personally me, I am not against of ISC policy or its systems but it's double standards decision.

ISC admin find fault a forum footer "indecent". They take no time to intrude that member's dashboard and deleted it. When that member shout about other "indecent " forum footer, the ME has posted a thread and requesting member?
    Why this double standard? Why can't now they delete such forum footer?

You always come out to speak to member those who talk against admin. What you have done to stop such double standard decision? Did you ever discuss it with admin?

If you can't stop admin to take wrong decision, I don't think you should only advise to member. Specially such statement should be avoided which you have started with in your last response.

Jeets,

You are once again back-peddling. I thought you would move on??? Do please stop harping on the same thing repeatedly. The purpose of this thread is for members to see reason and maintain some forum decorum. It should not be that the admin will take the drastic decision to remove the forum footer feature altogether. That would be really sad, that because of a few members this step would need to be taken. I have already seen a few changes in the forum footers. Hope all ISCians cooperate in a sporting manner and do try to understand my point for the sake of dignity and harmony.

I have a suggestion - other than the forum footer, as I said why not we put something inspirational in the social hub on a regular basis, if not daily at least 2-3 times in the week? Let me take the first step today.

Jeets, you seem to be suffering from the syndrome of living with preconceived notions. In no way was my comment was directed to you. In fact, I had not gone through the thread or the topic you have been repeatedly harping about. I checked it out after seeing your comment here. My reference was NOT towards you. You should have understood that before attacking me.
    Yes, I will always come out speaking to a member who goes against the admin, but not to someone who uses the words judiciously. The challenging or aggressive kind of communication with the team is what irks me.
    Let me make it clear to you that I am not against creating threads to sort out your differences, but there should a little decency in whatever one does. A public forum like ISC needs it members to cultivate the habit of decent behaviour. Just because you are not happy with a particular member does not mean that the whole team and all the members should go against the said member. I have been on ISC since quite long ( though not a regular contributor) and I have never seen any kind of partiality or double standards here.
    The major problem you and another member here is that you take every decision that the team makes so seriously that you think it is directed to you. Sorry to state that I pity you and your comments.

Live....and Let Live...!

Alright Timmappa, But why it double standard? Please just justify it?

Also when next time you put forward such statement, please name that would clear the confusion. I have cleared the difference between me and that member in my last thread and I am not talking about any particular members but the decision. Why admin will run to delete only some particular member is my question. There was no need of you to hyper about me. It would have so nice if you answered my question calmly like a senior member.

ME, sorry to state that. I am not paddling back but replying to Timmappa.

Also Timmappa if I am in such syndrome than you are no difference who only see the fault on member. Please refrain to make such comments about me in near future. Did I comment any indecent statement about you? I just asked question which make your blood boil against me . Tell me what would you call about such syndrome which get hyper when asking a true question?

If you call yourself a senior member behave like it first.

Mr. Timmappa Kamat (#592463): I have read and re-read your sane advice. Sorry I could not reply it earlier because I had to attend some other work of personal nature. In this connection, most humbly and respectfully I beg to state that Partha Kansabanik never follows any other's footsteps. However, he makes every effort to fight for himself. He always makes effort to logically present his views.
    More importantly, he neither bends nor crawls!

Since the purpose & good intentions behind this thread has been served with some of the members changing their forum footers, this thread can now be locked.

Friends, PLEASE! Do stop this constant acrimony. Join me in getting back to enjoying each others company with healthy discussions.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.