You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Is religion above the nation ?

We have so many religions in our country having different traditions and practices and many times there are issues on one thing or another.

These issues sometimes lead to fighting and bitterness between the different groups.

What is your opinion - whether we have to blindly follow our religion and in the process neglect our national duties as a good citizen or just think of the nation and ignore our religious ego ?
    An excellent and relevant thread from Mr. Umesh. The answer is, astonishingly, different for followers of different religions. For some, country is above religion. At the same time, followers of some other organised religion generally think that their religions is superior to the country where they live.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Those who fight on the issue of religion are not religious in nature. Each religion teaches harmony and fraternity.

and your question is a religion is above the nation? I think Nation should have the highest priority. Religion gives us a way of life but nation gives us an identity. It is the place we live, get our food, celebrate for our nation. Nationality is the concept which breaks all the boundaries. It integrates all the people of the country. where religion is failing to do that think. For all of us, Country should stand first and last too.

Prasanna
    Well done is better than well said

Unfortunately this question is answered in different way when it comes to public platform expression of views and personally. For example take the big names of Bollywood who have their big releases of new film slated for the festival. Now when the topic of the film is basically on Hindu religion then why it should be released on a Muslim festival. By dividing the society this way the film personalities earn their name and fame with ease and for them Nation is nothing. For the normal person only the Nation is the first and the religion is the next , it is the politician and Icons of the society think otherwise.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Mohan: I think that it is not a question of film. Followers of some organised religions think their religion is superior to any nation-state.

Religion and Nationality.As far as I am concerned NATION is important than religion. But as told earlier by others, some religion people think that religion is more important for them than nation. Religion is a way of life. They way you live may vary from others. Your beliefs and thoughts may be different from others. So if we don't like in the religion we born we are changing. But Nation is an identity. Wherever you go you say I am an Indian. You need not say your religion. We are living in this country,we are eating the food made here, we are drinking water from the rivers here and we are earning here. If some body says my religion is more important than my nation, it is irresponsibility. But in our country unfortunately religion is playing a very important rule. When these discrepancies will change, GOD only knows.
    drrao
    always confident

My personal view states that the nation should come first and the rest should follow suit. However, there are certain religions which put religion above nation. I will not name them as that would be something that would create controversy.
    However, I would claim that Hinduism is a religion - actually, it is not a religion, but a way of life - that has always put nation above itself. A religion should be what teaches you virtuous behaviour. Traditions and rituals do not form the essential constituents of what we call religion. Hinduism preaches that Janai Janmabhumischa Swargadapi Gariyasi which means Mother and Motherland are more important than the Heavens too. That should be what we should practice.

Live....and Let Live...!

Religion and nation generally deal with different aspects of life. Religion or rather, the scriptural basis which is generally termed as 'religion' deals with the matters that are spiritual, and all that runs in the mind and memory. The nation, or to be specific, the Constitution of the country deals with various aspects of the law and rules and procedures, etc., the consequences for abusing the given rules, and so on.

Both can be used together in the governance of countries, and it can be very productive if the religious aspects are removed, and the scriptural principles are put to use. Religion and religious policies get changed to suit the personal benefit of a few. Scriptures do not allow that.

In the Bible, scriptures played a major role in the olden times, and governance was based upon the doctrines described in the book. Since Jesus' time, there is a huge difference in how believers are to operate in the countries they are in.

Jesus, at the questioning by the Roman ruler before his crucifixion, states that "….My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews…."John 18:36. This is a very important point to remember. It means that the statements some say, (usually from western countries and some movies) that this country needs to be won for Christianity. That goes directly against what Jesus says. Jesus asks his followers to teach the good news about the savior and the free salvation that is available for all. He never spoke about becoming rulers upon earth. A section of people at his time wanted to make him King but he would not allow that. Nor did he ask his followers to build up religious buildings and all that goes with their maintenance. He never taught anywhere to despise people's beliefs. But he was often teaching people and followers to fear not, to believe in God's kindness and went about doing good. He also spoke harshly against the religious rulers of his days, who were most interested in preserving their power, wealth and religious control over people. Matthew chapter 23 lists them out.

The New Testament also teaches believers to: Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God (Romans 13:1). This means in our country, to pray for the rulers to rule well and care for people. (Even if a person may vote as per his choice)
    3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
    4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
    7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute (= taxes) to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.
    Jesus calls his followers the 'salt of the earth' whose purpose is obvious. His kingdom is within you, in hearts and mind; not a land area.

Here are some examples of 'religion' spoiling everything. Within 300 years after Jesus, the Christianity became a popular thing and became 'official', and so if anyone wanted a Roman government job, he needed to be a Christian. Soon enough the whole system got corrupted by religion and tradition to lead into the Dark Ages. That went on till somebody read the scriptures to pull everybody out of the religious mess to true following of Jesus. Again that went down till another man pulled out of the newly established religion rule and so on it went.

The UK and USA were based on Bible principles originally, and then became a religious empire/power, and most of us know what such religious nations did and do everywhere. In fact in those countries you cannot have Bible in schools, but you allowed having Satan worship and other evil rituals freely.

About 2 years ago there was a debate on TV with that shouting man as host, where one Bible believing govt officer was asked if the Bible was greater than the Constitution. The above scriptures answer for that. One cannot really put the Constitution and Bible on same level – they deal primarily with different aspects and with some minor overlap.

India is a great country which represents unity in diversity. We know that people of different religion live in our country. We are of different caste, creed, languages and tradtions etc. despite of all these we are one Nation.

When a problem arises between two people of different religions, people blindly try to support the person belonging their religion though he is right or wrong. This is when the problem between two people becomes a problem of two religions and leads to violence.

Everyone should learn the brotherhoodness and should not see the religion differences as barrior to the human relationship. Only then we will not see caste-related violence. Then we become the united India in diversity.

Ms. Mallela Jyothi: "When a problem arises between two people of different religions, people blindly try to support the person belonging their religion though he is right or wrong."-Is it so in India? There are thousands of instances where Hindus ignore the crimes committed by other religionists and even support directly or indirectly the culprits from other religion in the name of secularism. Even then, some people of some other communities do not bother about India as a nation-state.

Yes, according to me this is happening and it is the main reason for violence between different religions. If the people are really ignoring then there is no problem of violence between goups of different religion. There are people who have a strong feeling towards their caste or religion. If you do not agree this, then what do you think can be the cause for fighting between different groups?

• Sign In to post your comments