You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Touched by a young lady's action

My husband and I stepped into the shuttle that was to transport us to the airport terminal. As I reached up to grab the bus handle, a young woman, in her early twenties, got up and gave me her seat. I refused, but she insisted that I sit in the seat that she had vacated for me.

We often have people complaining that women want men to vacate seats reserved for them, but they never vacate a seat for another woman. This post is to refute such claims, even if it is an isolated occurrence, it needs a mention.

At the terminus, I halted and chatted with this young lady and told her that her act will perhaps inspire others to do the same. Her little action touched me. I'd like to add here that I am not infirm and was quite capable of standing. She saw the grey in my hair and respected my age. I hope there are more people like her and that more people learn to be good humans.
    Now a days the youngsters are also behaving in a matured way much to the surprise of elders. I must appreciate the young girl for giving the seat to the author. That was the good gesture and though a small one, we always remember such good moves. I was watching some videos on road accidents and in some of them I have invariably found that youngsters came running to help the affected person immediately and those who are elders were just watching the happenings. That gave me the feeling that there is definite change in the thinking like of youngsters towards elders.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Although chivalry and courtesy are becoming more and more rare with every passing day, even today there are some conscientious young men and women in India.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

In this context I would really like share the summary of a poem "Somebody's mother" I studied in my school.

The woman was old and weak. She was bent due to the cold and she was slow. The street is crowded with people moving around. None bothered to help her. She stood there for a long time and then she saw a group of students coming after their school is over.

No body cared this old lady who was anxiously looking for a helping hand. Then a boy crossing her went to her and asked in a low voice "I will help you across, if you wish to go". The old lady was glad and placed her hand on young boy's arm. The boy helped her and moved fast to join his friends.

You know boys, she is somebody's mother. She is aged, weak and slow. Some time, some one may lend their hand to help my mother.

It was a heart touching poem and the boy is kind enough at that age. I travel to my home in a private bus. Whenever I see old woman standing in the bus, the only thing that comes to my mind is, if she was my mother, will I make her stand?

• Sign In to post your comments