You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Made a rare sighting

My husband and I went on a short vacation to wildlife reserve forests in Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Kerala. This has been one of the most adrenaline-charged road trips we have taken. The forests in Mudumalai in Tamil Nadu and Bandipur in Karnataka were bone dry, making it easy to spot wildlife. Kerala, on the other hand, was lush green. We saw scores of deer – nilgai, cheetal and barking deer among others. We spotted peacocks and one of them even did a dance for us. There were wild elephants and wild boars on the roadside. We spotted some rare birds and flying squirrels, langoor and lion-tailed macaques as well.

However, the icing on the cake was sighting a tiger in the wild. It walked past us at just 20 metres. Majestic and so graceful, it stopped, turned, gave us a good stare, before disappearing into the tall grass.

Have you ever seen a tiger in the wild?
    The post reminds me of my own journey through Mudumalai and Bandipur while visiting Utakamandalam (Ooty) in 1994. Although I enjoyed wildlife there but I could not see wild tiger in that forest. I saw wild tiger much later in the forests of Madhya Pradesh. I visited Periyar forest (Kerala) in 2012.
    I congratulate Ms. Juana for her sighting wild tiger in the forest of Tamilnadu, because tiger is extremely rare in that region.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Nostalgic! Lost in thrilling memories for a while on reading the post. Well can't stop myself from describing my own experience of spotting the big cat (a cheetah) in the forest (not a protected one) while going on a road trip in Odisha.

I think, I was in class 9 or 10 (couldn't recollect exactly). My father and I accompanied my paternal uncle who was going to his work location. We were travelling in an open jeep. The driver was sincerely doing his duty while my father and uncle were deeply involved in discussion. I was seated in the back seat and was curiously looking out as the jeep was moving through dense forest with ups and downs road and thickly covered forests on either sides of the road.

It was not any wildlife sanctuary but just a dense forest in Odisha (don't remember which area it was). Suddenly I spotted a big cat with spots at a distance (not very close though), slowly crossing the road. I was so innocent that I didn't even know it was a Cheetah. I just told my uncle to look at the big cat like animal. Immediately, both my father and uncle, came to know that it was a cheetah. My uncle acted smartly and warned the driver to slow down the jeep. The cheetah just looked at the open jeep from a distance and slowly disappeared into the dense trees. As the cheetah disappeared in the woods, my uncle told the driver to drive with full speed and he did so.

That was a very thrilling and exciting experience too which tensed our nerves. I could never ever forget this experience in my life.

Thank you Juana for taking me back to those enjoyable days.

-----------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Kalyani

Partha and Kalyani,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Kalyani, your description is so vivid - I was almost there with you in the jeep!

However, you could not have spotted a cheetah, because they are not native to India. Cheetahs, as far as I know, can only be found in the wild, in Africa. You must have spotted a leopard or a jaguar.

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want - Psalm 23:1

Ms. Kalyani: Most probably you are talking about leopard (Panthera pardus), cheetah has long become extinct in Indian sub-continent.

I am yet to see a wild tiger in the forest. But I have seen an elephant swimming in the Idukki dam while we were on a cruise. On sighting our fast moving boat, the elephant swam fast and reached the shore, On reaching the shore, it raised its trunk and trumpeted thrice. It was like a blessing from lord Ganapathy.

Members
    Have you seen an elephant swimming in deep water? If so, you can share it along with the sighting of a tiger.

No life without Sun ¤

I have seen elephants in the water in Thekkady, in Kerala. Couldn't tell if they were swimming or not, but the herd was definitely frolicking in the water.

Yes, as you (Juana and Partha) mentioned, that could be a leopard. I mentioned it as cheetah as during those days, I thought it was a cheetah. The reason, in Hindi we say it cheetah.

Update: I have seen peacock dance. But that was not in the wild but in Philadelphia zoo.

-----------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Kalyani

In Hindi, the leopard is called a 'tendua', while cheetah is called cheetah.

Yes Juana in the text we read it as 'tendua' but colloquially we (better to mention I) are used to say 'cheetah' in Hindi. Even in my mother tongue (Telugu), we say it as 'chiruta'. So am much used to the word 'cheetah'.
    -----------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Kalyani

Compared to tigers, leopard can be seen in the vicinity of human habitation. I have seen leopard at Asola and even on the outskirts of Gurgaon. The leopard is more adaptable to different geographic locations and its population is much more than that of tiger.

I have seen leopard and hyena as a child. Delhi was not as populated as it is now, and there were huge pockets of uninhabited land around where we lived, in the heart of South Delhi. Perhaps very close to where you reside Partha. I gather you are in Nanak Pura, we were in Moti Bagh I. Hyenas would frequent the place, at night. I saw a leopard at my grandfather's farm, beyond Mehrauli, close to Badarpur. It would come to pick chickens from the coop. I was quite young, and I think the villagers killed it.

Yes, I am residing at South Moti Bagh. We can't imagine leopard in this area. Earlier I used to stay at Dwarka in my own accommodation. Once I saw a nilgai (blue bull) near my residence.

During my childhood days, I too have seen hyena and also a dear (at different times in different locations) walking through the street in one of the towns in Andhra Pradesh. (undivided A.P at that time). Have seen a wolf or a jackal, can't make out what it was exactly, while we were returning from Borra caves in Vizag district.

And 9 years back, we were going to Bidar, Karnataka. It was a road trip, we (3 families) stopped at the roadside for refreshing. And were shocked to see a langur (I think) lying on the road side and was wailing. It's hip region was badly injured. We guessed, it might have been hit while crossing the road, by a vehicle moving with high speed. I really felt pity for the dumb creature and we were helpless, don't know what to do.

I think, I had posted this incident few years back in the Forum.

-----------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Kalyani

Partha – You will be surprised, but there were both leopard and panther sightings in the area. This was the foothills of the Aravalli Range, and where R K Puram, Anand Niketan, Shanti Niketan and Vasant Vihar stand was barren land, with hillocks. We used to go picnicking there, my brother and our friends. Even the area near the railway track was deserted.

About the leopard and panther, there was a panther trapped in the Government School close to Moti Bagh-II. Leopards too were sighted in the region, near Dhaula Kuan Ridge area, as recent as 1992-94. We had friends in the Army, staying in the Ridge area, rather inside it. They had a leopard frequenting their lonely bungalow.

Kalyani – I too have seen foxes on the Aruku – Borra Caves stretch. I've also, seen gaur and quite a few other animals on our various road trips.

Peacocks are generally found in the abodes of Lord Subramanyaswamy at Tiruchendur, Thirupparankunram, Thiruthani, Pazhani, Palamuthircholai and Swami Malai. And I have seen them dancing with their feathers spread to the full extent.
    No life without Sun ¤

Sign In to post your comments