You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

And I thought ISC would honor the regular and consistent women members this day.

I was expecting a thread raised either by Webmaster Tony or Managing Editor Vandana on some regular and consistent women members of this great site as on this day of International Womens day, a word of appreciation for their immense contributions in various sections would have been the fitting tribute and surely the members would have been overwhelmed for that gesture. At least from next International Womens day, ISC must come up with a honor thread in favor of women power at ISC and say some thanks to them. Hope every one agrees with me.
    Why this thread missed the attention of editors so far ?
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I noted it earlier, but I thought that the Editors would give a suitable reply and implement your suggestions. But unfortunately, that did not happen.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

I, as a woman, and as a top contributor on this site have this to say –

The meaning of Women's Day is misunderstood. It is not about treating us with kids' glove and giving us special honours. I participate on ISC alongside my male counterparts, why do I deserve to be honoured for that. I want to be treated at par, as an equal, in every walk of life. Not because I am a woman, but because I am an individual and have rights.

I would be offended if such a trivial award was constituted to honour women. Let me explain the meaning of equal. For centuries women have been subdued because they are physically weaker. A male dominated society decides our every move. How we sit, how we talk, whom we talk with…the list is long. We are critically judged when we stand up and do things differently. We are after all meant to be doormats!

A woman's place is not behind a man, she is capable of standing alongside the male and doing all that he does. You clip her wings and shackle her down, and then term her as weak. You become her lord and master, her protector – against whom? Against your own kind! Remember, somewhere, down the line your kind decided (and continues to be taught) that they are superior beings. Despite education, women are relegated to doing just cleaning and cooking and doing all other mundane jobs, around the house.

Women's Day is about freedom and equal opportunities and equality. Women's Day is about being able to feel safe. It's about breaking the stereotype. Please read my essay on Celebrating Women.

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want - Psalm 23:1

Juana I am not insisting for award but some words of applause from webmaster or Managing editor would have been fitting tribute to female members.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I would like to share here a WhatsApp message I received yesterday, titled 'Breaking the stereotype of Women's Day':
    If we must celebrate a day for women, let us celebrate freedom from stereotypes, from expectations, from idolisation, from sacrifice.....
    Stop congratulating women for being the secret behind a successful man; start saluting them for being successful.
    Stop saying the mother is sacred for all the sacrifices she makes; try to reduce those sacrifices.
    Stop telling women they are beautiful; try telling them it's not important to be beautiful.
    Stop praising her roles as mother, wife, daughter, sister; celebrate her as an individual, a person, independent of relationships.
    Stop justifying her necessity to multi-task; give her a chance not to.
    Stop these constructs which are aimed at making her strive for an impossible balance; let her be inadequate - and happy!
    Stop making her look at herself through a conveniently male viewpoint; let her be imperfect, whimsical, irresponsible, boorish, lazy, fierce, opinionated, loud, flabby, ungroomed, adventurous, unpredictable, unprepared, impractical....
    Happy Women's Day for being you and not how the rest of the world wants you to be.

Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

Juana, you are very right in telling that we should not treat the women as a pitiable object but at the same time if people want to show their respectful gestures towards women then it should not be treated as unacceptable.
    Today it is very clear that slowly women are coming up to the level of men in every sphere of life and time for complete equality is not too far.
    So if ISC shows a gesture on womens day to honour and reward it's top women contributors it will be a laudable action.
    Anyway this is only our thinking and editors have to take a call after considering all the aspects and naturally their judgement in the matter.
    There are so many members and so many thoughts but everything can not be considered by the editors or management.

Knowledge is power.

Since ISC does not discriminate between members on the basis of gender, there is really no need to separately honour only the lady contributors.
    Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.