You must Sign In to post a response.
Be alert ISCians! Watch out for a special thread on Sunday, 12th March to celebrate the festival of Holi.
  • Category: Announcements

Holi festival colours - something fun to do this Sunday!

Friends,
    A little bit of excitement is coming your way,
    On 12th of March this coming Sunday!
    Watch out for the red-pinned forum thread
    Which will pop up some time between 10 and 11a.m. ~
    It will be something fun to do with your whole family
    So be prepared to have a colourful time informally!

This is just an alert thread so no responses required for now. You can post your feedback here after closing time, when this thread will be opened for responses.

Update on 12th March 2017: The contest has been announced: Fun with Colours this Holi - quickie contest!
    We got 18 entries for this quickie contest. Thanks to all the participants! It will take some time to assess the answers and finalize the winners.

The order of entries:
    1. Gypsy: Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 11:15 AM
    2. Sushma: Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 11:32 AM
    3. Lonika: Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 11:37 AM
    4. Anosua: Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 11:49 AM
    5. Joyshree: Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 12:14 PM
    6. Hakimmudin: Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 12:38 PM
    7. Sun: Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 12:52 PM
    8. Ravi: Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 1:41 PM
    9. Partha: Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 2:45 PM
    10. Seema: Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 3:10 PM
    11. Kalyani: Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 3:49 PM
    12. Ramakrishna Kambhampati: Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 4:51 PM
    13. Himanshu: Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 7:28 PM
    14. Suman: Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 7:48 PM
    15. Juana: Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 10:47 PM
    16. Neelam: Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 11:41 PM
    17. Soundharya: Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 11:50 PM
    18. Sujish: Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 12:41 AM

The answer to the bonus query: All were colours which formed VIBGYOR, the rainbow spectrum.

Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

The winners have been announced .

The points tally is as follows:
    Gypsy - 28
    Sushma - 29
    Lonika - 28
    Anosua - 29
    Joyshree - 30
    Hakimmuddin - 28
    Sun - 27
    Ravi - 28
    Partha - 16
    Seema Mittal - 23
    Kalyani - 28
    Ramakrishna K - 22
    Himanshu - 16
    Suman - 30
    Juana - 30
    Neelam - 12
    Soundharya - 28
    Sujish - 30

Note that if a participant gave an option, meaning more than the requisite number of answers to be given, it was considered invalid. The jury panel is not going to decide which is the correct answer for you!

The result has been declared. But I am very much interested to know my score to understand my mistakes.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Partha, you seem to have typed out your response at the same time as mine! Your points can be seen in the response above.

Yes, it was a photo-finish! Is it required to delete the response? I have no suggestions to give. The contest was held very efficiently by our efficient ME.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

It's alright Partha; there is no need to delete it. Photo-finishes in sporting events are preserved for posterity!

Vandana,
    I wish to know where I went wrong to lose 3 points.
    What about my bonus query points that was perfect with VIBGYOR?

No life without Sun

Checked my score. Looking forward for more such contests.
    Live life Kingsize!

Vandana Madam, As you said that each participants (other than three winners) also get cc and points for responses but I cannot recieve any cc or points.

Himanshu, points and cc have not been given to anyone. All the participants will get points and cc accordingly in due course of time.

I am very much eager to know where I went wrong. It would be really kind of ISC if this request is fulfilled.

Vandana,
    Every member participant will like to know where they went wrong. Hence it would be ideal if you consolidate the details of the members responses and place it here for the members to have a view of their wrong answers.

No life without Sun

Oho. I was short by 1 point but I will be more happy to participate in such contests. Here I want to know the correct answers. Is it possible to announce the correct answers for this contest

I did not expect to win this. Not because I was unsure of my answers, but because I was among the last to submit my responses. Winning this contest reminds me of the proverbial tortoise, who though being slower than the rabbit, won the race. I almost did not send in my answers, because of the time factor, but now I am glad that I did.

That being said, this quickie was a toughie. I had to Google answers to many things asked. Not sure, if anyone actually knew all the answers.

Good contest, keep them coming.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Participants should please note that we decided not to list the correct & incorrect answers. It was a mammoth task spanning this past week. 29 answers x 18 participants. Do the Math! Only the answer to the bonus query was provided above. You can consider it like an exam where you do not know where you lost your marks or where you got negative marking.

I will though reveal how the analysis was done to dispel any apprehensions: I was not the only one who reviewed the 29 answers of each participant. Every answer was reviewed by two non-participating editors as well and independently of each other. We also had separately listed which answer(s) of each participant that we considered as incorrect or invalid. These were then reviewed again by all three of us. All answers were reviewed by me again after input from the other editors. Answers of winners and the points tally were again reviewed just before the announcement. Further, I even consulted non-ISCians and even family members about the incorrect answers just to be absolutely sure. So everyone can be rest assured that it was a very thorough check. Please accept the final decision of the winners and the points tally in the true spirit of sportsmanship.

On my part, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. For one, I was thrilled to see such a good response. For another, though initially I did have niggling doubts about whether I had taken on too much, having to review so many answers, once I started off I realized that I was actually having fun checking out answers. I browsed through tons of images of cute birds, flowering plants and beautiful sea life, increased my knowledge (did you know that a robin's eggs are blue?), not to mention drooling over delectable sweets. I must thank the participants for that happy experience - Me, tired, but happy!

I agree to what you say mam that the result was decided after much consultation but the fact that worries me is that all my answer were matched from Google, so I can't guess where I went wrong. There was 1 question where I had given an if statement that too inside the bracket so that can't be reason behind my lost marks. Since everyone knows that bracketed details can be left out if desired the checker would have never been forced to decide the correct answer for me. Please mam disclose our mistakes because now I am starting to have a doubt over the images and texts we get via google.

Lastly as a matter of informing us about the mistakes, Mam I do realize that 522 is quiet a huge set to type in a thread and am not requesting you to do so. But as we all at ISC know that you and all other editors are very systematic and efficient in your job, the very reason that we all respect you so much, I am very much sure that the received answers must have been computerized into a word file or so. It must have been there that the answers were checked and the errors were marked, because checking on paper would have been highly troublesome. So my earnest request is that please mam share that file or mail that to the participants, it would hardly take more than 5 minutes but it would solve our queries to a great deal.

Vandana,
    It was not a theory type public examination where the marks get deducted. It is purely a sure one or two words answer which could either be right or wrong. You might be tired and happy with the good effect of the contest, but the members are not happy but wish to know their defects. You can off load this task to one of your entrusted editor.

Your decision not to list the correct and incorrect answer is wrong. You may not reveal the correct answers as there could be many correct and alternative answers. But at least say what was our incorrect answers which did not match the colour according to you and other editors.

No life without Sun

Lonika,

If I answer your one query, then I will not be fair as I have clearly stated that the incorrect answers would not be revealed.

Just a few tips to all participants - always give a very clear cut, straight answer; read instructions that are given in the announcement thread; do not give more than the required number of answers asked for.

Lonika - you seem to have edited your response later so replying further - even mailing to the participants will not be done. We are very firm about our stand. There will be constant back and forth and endless discussions and it will be very impractical, with participants then deciding which answer was right or wrong!

Sun - same answer for you. As the person who conducted the contest, as well as having consulted others on the team about it, we remain firm in our decision.

Final decisions should be respected.

Vandana,
    Don't you think that such a decision not to reveal the correct answers would discourage the members to participate in the future contests? Therefore, My humble request to ISC Admin is to conduct the contests where the right and wrong answers can be declared to keep the members clear from doubts.

Though we respect your final decision, we are not happy with your decision.

No life without Sun

Yes, we will henceforth consider conducting quizzes only where answers can be revealed.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.