You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Oh My God! Palash flower is so dangerous!

In my locality, Palash flower (Butea monosperma) can be seen in abundance. This flower is readily available near my office also. This beautiful red-coloured and orange-coloured flower declares the arrival of the spring. It causes a colour riot in our locality and also near my office.

However, I didn't know that Palash flower can be very dangerous also. It is almost as dangerous as banana peel. Let me explain. We have been experiencing light to medium drizzle in Delhi during last two days. As a result, many Palash flowers have fallen below. The rain and the Palash flowers on the earth have become a very dangerous combination. The places where Palash flowers fall have become very slippery.

Day before yesterday, I was late for office. I was in a hurry and was walking very fast. Suddenly my foot fell on the fallen Palash flowers and I slipped. I was fortunate that I was not hurt. I immediately remembered that in 1981, my father fell on a banana peel and his left knee was broken into nine pieces.

Who knew that Palash flowers would be dangerous like banana peels.
    Kansabanik, you have put up very nicely a practical experience of slippery pavements and roads after a shower and I am not able to stop myself making a comment.
    Some fruits have thick, fibrous and juicy peelings and some flowers have thick juicy petals. All of these become soggy and slippery and wet in presence of water and dust.
    During rainy seasons or even a drizzle in the day these things fall down and make a slippery sheet on the roads.
    These create havoc for the pedestrians and even the scooters and motorcycles skid and fatal accidents are reported.
    We must cautiously tread under such environment taking care of our steps and speed.

Knowledge is power.

Moral of the story: tread cautiously. There's many a slip between the foot and the fallen flowers!

Actually, I hate to step on fallen flowers. Where I have to, like when there is an entire carpet of them on the footpath where I walk, I make my way very gingerly, trying to avoid putting too heavy a tread on them. I feel kindly towards them, not wanting to crush them, in the same manner as I avoid stamping on an insect. Flowers or insects, I simply don't have the heart to sort of stomp on them into a pulpy lifeless mess. Me, a softie.

Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

Partha Ji, once again you have proved your genius capacity through this posting. Many of us, why many, I do not know or heard this matter earlier though I have seen this tree in many areas of our side(tamilnadu).
    For others, I am giving the name of Palash in other languages as,Palash in HIndi, Marathi,Odia, Modugu in telugu, Khakda in Gujarathi, Poovarasu or parasu in Tamil, Muthuga in Kannada, Polash in Bengali and assamese.

The flower blossom is indicating the arrival of spring according to sanskrit manuals. In Geetha Govindam, Jayadeva compared the blossom of this flower as nails of Kamadeva, wounding the hearts of lovers.

Delete Attachment

Ms. Vandana: I also don't want to crush these beautiful flowers under my feet (or boots). However, in this case, it could not be avoided.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Sign In to post your comments