You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Creative Writing

The Brave and Courageous lady who is still struggling against Child Marriage :

It is not a story rather it is a real life incident. It was 10-15 years ago when I am in my school days, me and my grandma were traveling in a train. My grandma was a retired teacher now and she is my mother's aunt. Then I met with a lady who immediately touched my grandma's feet and asked "How are you didi? Did you recognize me?" As my grandma recognized her she started conversation with her still our destination came.
    Later when I asked my grandma about her, then my grandma told me about that lady, named Anita. She was an ex student of her school who was residing in nearby village with her parents. After the sad demise of her mother Anita's father married another woman, who is her own aunt. The stepmother tortured her regularly but Anita's father remained silent. When Anita is in her 9th standard his stepmother fixed her marriage with a person who is more than double of her age. On the day of her wedding Anita fled from her house and came to the school. Then she met with all the teachers of her school and told them about the real incident. She also said that she want to study more and requested them to save her from her stepmother. In the mean time the stepmother and her father came to the school with a team of other villagers. They forced Anita to go with them, but the teachers protest this. They try to say that as the girl is minor it is completely illegal if she gets married. But the parents of Anita and the other villagers make pressure on the teachers that they must release their daughter. But Anita did not marry then and refused to go with them. Then the teachers decided that they will take all the responsibility of that girl still she got matured. They keep her into the hostel of the school and helped Anita financially so that she completed her studies. After her 10+2 they contact with a government home as she has no permission to stay further in school hostel. From there she completed her graduation. When I met with Anita she was then working as an Anganwadi worker in her village. Apart from that she makes campaigns against female trafficking and child marriage in her free time.
    Now all of you may think why I am writing about Anita? It is very common thing now that the girls are protesting against child marriage, as we found the news in papers or in TV. But the incident that I am talking about is 30 years ago when it was not common among people. Then it was very tough for a girl of a lower middle class family to go against her parents and take such a big step to continue her studies. That's why I think Anita is such a brave lady not only as she makes her own carrier and earn her own livelihood. Personally she is still struggling to make people conscious about the bad effects of Child Marriage, take several measures to save girl child in surrounding villages where she lives and also works for the drop out children so that they continue their studies. So, from my point of Anita is a brave lady who not only secured her own life by making protest against early marriage of girl child rather she is struggling to make people conscious to educate girl child properly. She faced lots of obstacles in her life but she did not stop.
    Kudos to Anita for fighting against the Child Marriage which is still prevalent in some parts of the country. The way she fought the challenges in life in every walks of her life needs to be applauded as at that age the people wont have the maturity to think otherwise rather to succumb to the pressure of tactic by others. Here I would also appreciate her teachers for the support and giving a helping hand. This kind of sacrifices and challenges wont be highlighted nor rewarded even by the government. Anita is the guiding spirit for those who are also fighting against the atrocity of child marriage.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Sign In to post your comments