Manipur: Ibobi Singh somehow survives amidst BJP onslaughtLet us now discuss the election of Manipur. As usual, this little state has been discussed least but the result has shown some remarkable features. Let us first see the result in the state.
Year: 2017; Year: 2012
Total seats: 60; Total seats: 60
Congress: 28; Congress: 42
BJP: 21; BJP: 0
NPP: 4; NPP: 0
Trinamool Congress: 1; Trinamool Congress: 7
Others: 6; Others: 11
1. From the above, it is clear that Congress still gets the maximum seats, but it no longer has absolute majority.
2. BJP has made major inroads in the state. Particularly in the hilly districts, BJP has performed very well.
3. In Thoubal, Irom Sharmila lost terribly. She could garner only 56 votes. The so-called liberals of Delhi whole-heartedly supported her because of her fast against AFSPA. Her terrible loss has proved that Manipuri people may not be dead against AFSPA.
4. Trinamool Congress of Ms. Mamata Banerjee had been increasing its influence over the years in Manipur. This time, it has been decimated by BJP.
5. In central areas (plainland) of Manipur, Congress led by the Chief Minister Ibobi Singh somehow retains its influence.