You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Have you ever seen ads for Playing Online Rummy? Can Google or Facebook allow them to advertise?

I'm constantly seeing advertisements of playing rummy online for real cash. And wondered how come companies like Google & Facebook are allowing such advertisers.

But later came to know about the legal laws stating that online rummy is not a game of chance, but it's a game of skill (whether played for money or not).

My assumption is for companies like this Tier-II & Tier-III cities would be the major target. (Because their ads are personalized for local languages as well).

Do you think it is acceptable to run ads like this in a country like India? What is your opinion to handle businesses like this and how Government can regulate such businesses? What is the normal procedure in developed countries in terms of regulations?
    Playing cards itself a illegal activity in India and online Rummy is no exception. Earlier I too raised the thread regarding this as I used to see some ads flashing on the right side panel of this page on Rummy Ads and it was really disturbing. Being educational site I even questioned the webmaster as to the veracity of allowing such ads which may spoil our site image too. But the site administrators told me that ads are the prerogative of Google and Facebook or other advertisers and ISC has no role to play as far as insertion goes. But keeping in view the laws existing in this country, Google must desist from hoisting such ads which spoil the young minds.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Thank you Mr. Mohan,

If ISC decides, they can able to block specific advertisers via Adsense. I am feeling bad to see such ads take even mainstream TV Commercials recently.

Do you know the name of a regulatory in India who should step in?

From a legal point of view, the Indian Courts have ruled that Rummy is a game of skill and therefore does not fall under the category of Gambling and Betting. Due to this it is completely legal to show such advertisements and no regulatory body can interfere in the distribution of such advertisements.

Ankit if that is the case then why Tirumala police would arrest the people who are playing the cards in their own staying rooms to kill the time. Remember the families wont play for any gain but to pass the time.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mohan, the information provided by you seems to be incomplete at the outset. Why would the police arrest someone who is playing cards in his room? There must be some other reason. Kindly check.
    'Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance'- Confucius

"Playing cards itself a illegal activity in India" - this is incorrect Mohan. Please get your facts right.

K Mohan,

The others are right. You should substantiate news like the one you gave in #593429 with the complete picture. What are the actual facts of the case? Exactly what form of cards play was going on? Was liquor, drugs and other prohibited substances too part of the scenario?

If playing cards, including rummy, was really illegal, then a lot of people would be behind bars, including relatives and friends who enjoy such activities on a regular basis just for sheer pleasure & for bonding with people who are close to them.

Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

Mr. Mohan: Playing rummy or cards is not banned in India. You have mentioned some people arrested by Tirumala Police. Most probably they have been arrested on the charge of gambling, not for playing cards.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

• Sign In to post your comments