You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

After Anna food, Amma food and now Namma food. Subsidized meals scheme

It was NTR who started the Mid day meal scheme for the poor and even gave rice at rupees 2 per kg and that was considered the king of sops that era. Then TN Government headed by late Jayalalithaa has started Amma Canteen through which break fast and lunch are provided at very subsidized rates. Mostly children and the poor are immensely benefited with this scheme and that brought AIADMK to power once again. And now Karnakata government wants to offer Namma food with tiffin at five per plate and offering lunch and dinner at 10 per plate for every one. Any comment on this ?
    Today morning, I came to Bengaluru and had a look at Bengaluru Mirror, and was pleased to see the Head lines reading 'Breakfast Rs. 5/- Lunch Rs. 10/-' a good budget due to on coming election by CM Sitharamayya. Anyway,(N) En Amma (My Amma) of TN is anywhere and everywhere even after death. N+Amma = Namma.

People of Karnataka are lucky enough to have the cheap Namma Canteen Service. But it is not clear whether the 198 Namma Canteen service will be available to all or to a particular division of people. This need to be clarified.

No life without Sun ¤

The CM clarified that for present only Bengaluru city would be having this facility in all the divisions and then it would be implemented in entire state phase wise.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I welcome any kind of schemes that are helpful to the people. However the price has to be somewhat realistic. The present pricing means too much subsidy. Again it is a diversion of money from honest taxpayers. There can be exploitation also by the smart and vested interests. Measures should be put into prevent cornering and exploitation and misuse.
    The Amma food canteen in Tamil Nadu are successful. Once when I went to TN, I just wanted to test it. But the crowd there prevented me from any such task. I could utilise the Amma water for Rs 10/- per bottle.
    Government need not take upon itself , but allow private entrepreneurs, NGOs with service mind also allowing them tax exemptions a long as they stick to the price threshold and quality.
    Such low price outlets also can contain the unscrupulous price increase made by the market players.

All these subsidized, populist schemes will have similar fate. Whenever the opposition party (of any Government) woul come to power, it would abolish such populist scheme. Unprofitable scheme based upon subsidy can't run eternally.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

No Partha, these subsidized meals schemes have immense backing and acceptance by the poor and cannot be withdrawn by any government and that would affect their vote bank.
    K Mohan

I agree with Venkiteswaran sir that while such subsidized schemes are welcome and will benefit a large section of the community, one should not forget the burden it puts on the State exchequers. These kind of schemes should be implemented after a proper financial assessment and should not be used as a political tool. Partha is absolutely right in saying that such schemes cannot run eternally. Too much of welfare without taking into account the available resources will only have a negative effect in the long run. Public money should not be used for building individual images; be it be of Anna or Amma!
    Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance- George Bernard Shaw.

In India if a state tastes success with a particular popular scheme, the same is implemented by other states whether required or not just to satisfy the voters.
    K Mohan

Sign In to post your comments