You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Ramayana and Mahabharatha should not be kept at home

Members,
    Someone say that the books of Epics Ramayana and Mahabharatha should not be kept at home. It is said that Ramayana and Mahabharatha are war books, and brings in fights, quarrels, tussles between the family members. The family don't remain at peace. Ramayana and Mahabharatha should be heard and understood through a teacher or preacher only. Not to keep the books at home and read them and preserve them.

Do you agree or disagree?
    If I apply the same logic to other books, that way all history books of school students should not be kept at home! And that too considering that at least these are based on facts.

Ankit,
    You have mistaken and misinterpreted my thread. Keeping the epics Ramayana and Mahabharatha which are considered as holy for Hindus should not be matched with the school history books. Ramayana and Mahabharatha are not history books, but epics written by great sages Valmiki and Ved Vyasa.

No life without Sun ¤

Sun,
    You didn't understand my response.
    Many story books are epic for example The Lord of the Rings, Quran, Game of Thrones, The Bible, etc. To me, all of them are books with great literary content. Just because a few of them are quite old doesn't make it any special for me and they are definitely not going to affect the peace of my mind or my house.

You are giving extra important to a few books, I am not.

@Requesting all to not start an argument with me, these are my personal thoughts as will be yours. All are free to express their opinion.

I don't believe that keeping Mahabharata or Ramayana books at home will bring a fight to family member. It is just a myth and belief of people. In every family, small fights are common and that has nothing to do with those books. Fights happen even if the books are not kept. I had a Mahabharata book for many years and while shifting house 2 years back the book went missing. But I find no difference in my life or family and the their behaviour when there was book at home and when there is no book at home.

Ankit,
    Not to quote and compare the Bible, the Quran and other religious holy books with Ramayana and Mahabharatha. Ramayana and Mahabharatha are the epics, not an ordinary story book or religious book. So, you are 180 degrees off the subject.

The Bible and Quran are the religious holy books that are kept, read everyday or once in a week. Ramayana and Mahabharatha are not such books.

No life without Sun ¤

1. The text of this thread starts with 'Someone say....' Who is "someone"? Are you quoting some source or the someone refers to you alone?

2. And who says "Ramayana and Mahabharatha should be heard and understood through a teacher or preacher only. "? Why is this necessary?

Also, do you know an epic need not apply only to the Ramayana and Mahabharata nor are they only related to India. It can be applied to any book which is narrating something on a grand scale, may or may not be in poetic form. So we have epics in Greek mythology, war epics in English literature, etc. Does keeping these on our book shelves create war in the home?! Absurd theories.

[note the correct spelling - Mahabharata]

Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

I wont agree with the observation of some and the author that Ramayana and Mahabharatha are the war Epic books and that should not be kept at home. Human beings always had the negative of seeing everything even though many positive outcome from the two Epics are guaranteed if one reads the same again and again. Ramayana gives us the great lesson of how to follow one person one wife and Lord Ram did not divulge from his path and never thought of marrying other than Sita. Lord Ram also gave the great lesson of following the words of elders without annoying them. Likewise Mahabharath differentiates between the good and bad. Mahabharath also teaches how to keep patience to achieve greatest success in life. And through Bhagawatgita sermon, Lord Krishna portrayed ably that the life is drama and it is not permanent to cherish the moments.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mohan,
    Firstly, Ramayana starts with a family dispute by Kaikeyi, the third wife of Dasarath who wanted her son Bharat to take over the reign. She planned well to send Rama to forest. Finally, Rama suspected the chastity of his wife Sita and sent her to jungle. So Ramayana is filled with sorrowful and worried events and fights. There was no pleasant moment to enjoy. Same is the case with Mahabharath which is full of sorrowful events, from Karna's birth to Pandava's sons death. Hence it is felt that the books are not fit to be kept at home where we need to live happily with peace.

No life without Sun ¤

Although I have taken a resolve not to waste much time in Forum discussion and raising Forum threads, I would only state that in Bengal, the Mahabharata is generally not kept in home, because it talks about war among brothers of the same family. But the Ramayana is kept because it talks about victory of good over evil.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Sun the dispute and urgency for Dasaratha to agree with Kaikeyi on her suggestion to send Rama for 14 years Wanvas and seeking her son be made the King of Ayodhya was connected to her past boon which was reserved by Dasarath which can be availed any time and she plays spoil sport. So this is opportunism of Kaikeyi for which she repents later. Lord Rama is king also and when he hears some rubbish from public he has to act. Here the responsibility of Raghuvansh has been stressed by asking Sita to go to forest again. And coming to Karna's birth in Mahabharatha is cunning attitude of Kunti who never revealed to any one. All these matters are the Individual interest which do disturb the fabric of the Epics. But that does mean that those great books need not be kept at home.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]
    No life without Sun ¤

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

I don't think so. Ramayana and Mahabharatha are widely recognized as one of the earliest epics of mankind and also their plot is so good that all around the world students of literature and drama study it.
    Well, yes, if keeping Mahabharatha at your home brings family feuds, does having Matsya purana bring water or fish to your home? I don't think so. I am a non-believer. But I find both the epics amazing. So I would like to preserve these precious works at my house and pass it on to future generations.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

No surveys like the one called for in #594115 will be allowed either here or as a fresh thread due to earlier issues created by such surveys. Stick to the main topic of the thread only.
    Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

Members,
    Sincerely writing. I do not have a copy of Ramayana or Mahabharat at my home. Of course, I have the Bhagavat Gita and the Holy Bible in my Pooja room. Many of my friends and relatives too do not keep them at home.

No life without Sun ¤

From the above response I believe it is a regional belief and even I have heard in TN related these two epics with fighting and will not willing to keep them in home. But I do not believe and always said it is mindset of people to fight and put the blame unnecessary to epics. Also I have practical experience of with and without these books and the fights too.
    Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

This is the first time I am hearing that Ramayana and Mahabharata books can't be kept in the house. My father is a poet. He has published some books. He maintains a good library of Telugu books. He has the complete Ramayana and Mahabharata sets in his library. We never faced any problem, When ever chance comes we try to read those books. In these two Telugu states no body has that belief. May be other states having, I am not aware.
    drrao
    always confident

Mr. Rao,
    Books can be kept at home as a library books in a cup board or rack, but not as books in the pooja room like the holy Bible or Bhagavat Gita or Quran or Kiranth. Certain people treat Ramayana like the holy Bible and read them religiously. I have seen X shaped special stand provided for it to rest.

No life without Sun ¤

Sign In to post your comments