You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why Ramayana and Mahabharatha are not included in our school syllabus?

Members,
    In our school, we have read many story books included as non-details in our school syllabus. Ramayana and Mahabharatha are good story books that teaches us the moral values in life. Why these books are not included in our school syllabus? It was not there when I studied, but it could be there these days. I do not know. Has anyone studied Ramayana and Mahabharatha and passed the subject?
    We had both the subjects in our school and I passed them. I studied from DAV school. The books are great literary works and can be included in the syllabus of private schools. However, I guess they should be kept away from any government run or funded school since they are not exactly secular in their teachings and our teachers are not trained or open minded enough to teach the students from an objective point of view - as just books with good literature and not something to believe in blindly.

I don't remember any moral value that I specifically got from the books that are not otherwise common sense.

As a Epic Ramayana and Mahabharatha might not have been included in school syllabus but certainly portion of these Epics were seen in every class in primary and high school sections. As whole as Epic it is not possible to teach and also non Hindu students may not learn. Probably for that reason the those were taught in bits. Even when citing some festivals like Deepavali and Holi, the mention of Ramayana and Mahabharatha is there. So there is no chance for any one study the Epics at school level exclusively and pass the exam only on those questions. Even Asharams of Hindu cult may not have done that.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

We worship Ramayana and Mahabharata as Sikhs worship Guru Granth Sahib.In Chaitra Ram Navami maximum Hindus read Ramayana.I see Ramayana is kept by maximum families. MahaBharata is not kept by maximum families.But Geeta is kept by Hindus families.So there is nothing wrong to keep these holy granths.By studying Ramayana we remember Lord Rama,Hanuman and by studying Mahabharta we remember Bhagwan Krishna.
    Service to mankind is service to God.

Ramayana and Mahabharata are very big books. Total book keeping as a syllabus for students may not be possible. But in our language syllabus portions of these epics are included in the text books. So students will get to know a little about the culture and values of those epics.
    Unfortunately the teachers in the school will not explain these lessons in relation to values of life, how important are they and how to imbibe ethics in our life using the examples from those epics They simply read the lesson and explain them the meaning and make the students to by heart the lesson.

So more important here is the way the teachers teach the lesson than the subject.

However because of this TV channels and programs by learned people now a days lot of importance is coming to our Hindu culture and ethics, which is definitely a good development.

drrao
    always confident

• Sign In to post your comments