You must Sign In to post a response.
Do you consider the increasing trend of conducting online exams far better than the age old system of appearing for an offline exam? Enter this interesting Group Discussion, speaking for/against or giving the pros & cons of each individually. Closing date: 11th April 2017.
  • Category: Reward Programs

What is the better mode of examination: Online or Offline? - Active GD

Are offline exams really better than online ones? Give your views in this forum debate.

Today is the time of growing technology. We see many advances around us . One of these advances is the availability of different mode of examinations: Online and Offline. Both have their benefits and losses. Luckily I have appeared in both types of examinations.

Most experts suggest that we must surf through the whole question paper and make a strategy of order of attempting, but you can't do this in online mode of examination as it is not practical. Now, the benefit of online examination is that you don't panic while attempting the questions because you don't know the next question. So, if you are well prepared, then each question is a new excitement.

On the other hand in SSC examinations which recently took place, the problem of server failure was observed.

What do you think about both modes of examinations? What are their pros and cons? Which is better and why?
    The concept of online exams were introduced recently keeping in view the advanced technology available at our disposal. I do agree that online exams are different and may not bring tensions to the candidate, but the time would certainly run out on pondering over the question again and again. In offline exams the invigilator would be reminding the time and we would guarded to finish the task of answering. Moreover the gadgets should be in order and if suddenly power goes means, everything is gone. But for the well prepared candidate both kind of exams may not be problem to ponder over.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

In my opinion online examination is better than offline examination. It saves time and you have to panic as author already mentioned. You can give online examination as per your time since they provide you almost two days to appear in online examination. No chance of cheating or coping in online examination. And most important thing no chance of leak of paper which is the biggest problem and students suffer most by paper leaking. No chance of corruption also.
    So in my opinion online examination is better than offline examination.

Honesty is the best policy.

Either on line or off line, a well prepared person need not worry. He will have to go and face the exam. But if we consider both forms of exams, on line may be a better option. This view is considering technically all tools are available all the time during the exam. I have written two on line exams. I felt very comfortable with the way the exams were conducted. When we were answering the questions the time left was also shown on the screen. No chance for paper leakage, No chance for copying, No disturbance and need not ask for extra sheets. You need to concentrate on time distribution and go on answering question by question. That will be good.

Friends, this thread has been converted now as an active GD. Members can mention both benefits and disadvantages of each or just one, but you should give valid reasons in support of your arguments. You can also debate on others' views and looking forward for a very healthy discussion . Carry on.
    Regards,
    Jagdish

First of all before going to discuss we should analyze various aspects for conducting online exams the first and foremost thing is some examinations which are descriptive in type or nature should be in offline examinations secondly the Objective question papers can be in Online exams, but we have to overcome certain loopholes one is flawless internet supply because the interrupted internet supply will be disastrous for the candidate future and it will also tampered the Candidate future. Secondly, in online exam malpractice can be done easily in the form of asking questions to their elders, teachers, Guide support or textbook support etc..because there will be no invigilation for online exams.What my opinion is if you go for Online exams it should be conducted through video streaming or video recording otherwise online exams are not good to test the candidate ability....
    A blunt knife or rusted knife can't be useful for anything just for the sake we call it as the knife similar to PayTM series or Sachin or Virat records.

In my view for competitive exams Offline mode exam is better than online mode exam. In Offline mode the student can have a full or clear view of the question paper he or she has to attempt. In an online mode the candidate has to undergo some discomfort to move the page up and down in reading and grasping the question. If they have to do some calculations they have to turn offline mode or to use some of the operations in the Computer to do calculations which is time wasting process. If a question related to a graph or a diagram in Physics or Maths, candidates answering in online mode has to redraw them on paper to calculate the answer or get to a solution is timing wasting which is not the case with Offline question paper. If the candidates leaves of some questions unanswered in the first attempt with online mode to get back to that question is more difficult and very confusing and which is not the case with offline mode. So answering questions in offline mode will give more psychological advantage for the candidate than candidate attempting with online mode. Even though the candidate writing in online mode more often he/she has to turn to Offline mode to do various other necessary activities which will burden them than the other counterparts. If any technical glitches occur while the candidate taking exam in online mode it disturb and spoil the peaceful mind of the student.

As Bhushan said, descriptive type should be conducted in offline mode. Competitive examinations were one answer should be selected among the four given options can be conducted online. Offline mode of examination is best for descriptive type because a person appearing for exam will be able to read the question paper for once and can proceed to provide answer for which he is confident and then can answer other questions. But in online mode, a person has to spend time only in selecting the option "next" and "back" to go through the questions. Time gets wasted in selecting the questions itself from the options. Also reviewing the answers will not be very easy in online mode. In offline mode, a person is free to review answer and correct them easily.

I hope we are all in very much better / best position in our own personal capacity and most of us got this capacity after writing all offline examinations only. So I would like to vote first to offline examination. So many advantages we could experience with offline examinations. They are:

(1) we could go through the entire paper of the examination at the first instance for sometime and then we made up a plan to attempt the questions (whether it is multiple or descriptive) duly giving priority from best known answers to less known answers.
    (2) To attempt an offline exam, one has to be thorough on the subject and while writing the exam with own handwriting one can visualise the answer straight away from the book which he prepared. That means the balance of memory power plays a vital role in attempting the offline exam.
    (3) Learning power of the student is also plays a vital role in offline exam. Unless a person understands / learns the lessons properly he cannot attempt the exam with full confidence in offline exam system.
    (4) Through the learning process, increase of inter-personal skills and motivation and inspiration amongst the students would take an upper hand in offline exam pattern.
    (5) Of course we can witness the good hand writing in most of the cases in offline examinations.

My submission will continue in my next response.

Sometimes erroneous in program coding (which is abnormal)will also lead the confusion in candidates mind and pay a huge price for others mistake.Secondly in even offline mode exams now being computerized evaluation as we need to round the marks of circles of our name before answering the sheet If our name is too big and you incorrectly darken the circles(with ball pen) the Answer sheet will not be evaluated by computer.

A blunt knife or rusted knife can't be useful for anything just for the sake we call it as the knife similar to PayTM series or Sachin or Virat records.

In a distance learning education like UTS Global India, students are held in both online and offline modes. Most people are in dilema and one can find thousands of discussions for the same, seeking for suggestions from experienced candidates and experts.

In Online Mode, exams are conducted through computer based writing exam. Students answers the questions that appears on the computer screen by marking the correct answers. In this mode, you can't make mistakes because you can change answers even after marking the one. You get time to review the answers, in case you had marked the wrong answer or felt that option (a) is wrong and (b) is right. This is one of the most convinient mode for writing exams. The brief answers can also be written, make corrections and review before hitting the submit button. Along with these, for maths, you are provided rough sheets for calculations.

If mathematics exams can be written in online mode, then, why social studies, English and science can't be in online mode. Brief answers with typos error free can be written without any issues.

In Offline Mode, we already get used to this, as we are a students, we have had been habitutated with the pen and paper based exam pattern, we may feel more comfortable and may feel safer attempting the offline exam where you sit on the bench and write your exam on the desk. However offline exam is a time consuming proccess writing on the answer sheet. On the top of that, one cannot change or make corrections once you have written on it, be it on the OMR or answer sheets. In addition to that, one needs to fill in the details: name, address, enrollment no, course name, course name etc., which takes a lot of our time.

Online mode is better than offline. Students who opt for online mode can change in their answers sheets but students who opt in for offline mode, there is no way to change answers or make corrections.

Be the Hero of the zero hour!

Most of the competitive examination are objective type. You have to select one right answer from four given answer. Everyone can trust on this system since there is eighter right answer or wrong answer. No one can deduct your marks. But in descriptive type of examination we can't expect fare evaluation.
    It is necessary in the present age of competition that evaluation should be fare. The biggest scandal of MP PMT is in front of us where many talented and desired student could not get selected. If this examination had conducted online it would have different results.
    so, online examination is the necessity of present age.

Honesty is the best policy.

Generally the best way is to go with what you are comfortable with but I would prefer to go with online exam instead of prefering offline exam because the questions which are asked in online exams are more straightforward compared to offline exam questions, answer can be given by single click that will save a lot of time and later one can edit, review and change the answers. In offline exam, we cannot change the answers after bubbled in OMR sheet. In online exam, the computer screen will provide the questions in different colours which will indicate answered and unanswered questions for the student. The reason of increasing or conducting exams through online because of their advantages.

Himanshuchauchan, for exams which are only objective in nature your point holds good.It is ok to have online exam for objective type were one has to select an option among given 4 options. But still it is not very convinence as these type of exams will have a time frame and automatically the exam ends once the clock hits the time and most of the times there won't be any time left to review the answers and correct them. Also if there is any time left by chance, selecting each question and reviewing the answer will become difficult. But if it is offline, you can first answer the questions that you are sure off and then go through other questions think and answer. Since you will have the questions in a paper it will be very easy to go through any question were you need not waste time in clicking and selecting the question.

Continuing to above,... Exams that need descriptive answers should always be conducted offline because any person can write answers in a flow without making spelling mistakes. If it is kept online, not many are expert in typing and the typing speed speed. Few people take a lot of time to type a word and each time a person should see keyboard and type and then check into the moniters if he has typed correctly which can be time consuming. And if any correction to me made, he has to hit the back keys. All these will take a lot of time so online exam might not be feasible to most of the people in this regards.

@Sushma, with response to your post #595162, what do you mean by time frame? Time frame or time limitation are set for both online and offline mode.

As I said earlier, in online mode, students can write their exams according to the slots available as per their conviniences. In my previous respose #595150, I noted that, students can always change the written answers in online mode. This is not available in offline mode. Why should we ignore the ease, convinient and opt in for tougher one.

One can also scroll down and check details of no. of questions answered and no. of question unanswered is always available on the computer screen for review in red and green colours.

You may say that offline is better because in online mode, you don't get a question papers for reference. However, one can download and view in pdf format or print it to keep for reference purposes. Along with these, you save your ink, doesn't felt tired or run out of time because you get three to four hours of time to finish.

Although both examination modes have losses and benefits, but in my eyes both sets equally well. John Sir talked about the benefits of online mode you don't feel stress, absolutely right! But sitting before the computer for 3 or more is neither easier nor healthier for anyone's eyes and also the exam totally depends on power supply. And one more fact is the availability of computer labs. Tomorrow I am going to take exam of JEE online and the lab is in some far place to Bathinda, Punjab. As we don't have sufficient number of computer, that's why strength of the particular centre automatically decreases as I had seen this in KVPY exam. Yes all other facts are appreciable but what about the above mentioned facts?
    And pros and cons of offline exam has already been mentioned above.

I never had to appear for an online exam myself, but my son has appeared for many online exams and tests.
    I am of the opinion that offline exams cannot be discontinued in toto and online exams take the scene fully.

Online exams are suitable and advantageous where the exam or test is conducted in an objective form, and the candidate has to just select either Yes or No ; or to select one of the various choices given. However when the exam is descriptive and is to test the creativity of the candidate and the depth and spread of his comprehension of the subject, then offline exam is the only choice.
    Thus it appears that offline exam is suited for the academic exams and online exam is suited for the competitive or preliminary stage exams.

@Lovish Raheja,

This thread has been selected for GD contest and you should not use your privilege to select a response as a best answer, though you are the author of the thread. The response you have selected as a best answer has been deselected by us. If you want you can join the discussion and offer your opinion in support of the argument which you selected as the best.

Regards,
    Jagdish

The best favourable factor I see in online exam is the saving of much time in the process of question paper transmission and distribution, answer paper transmission and evaluation , and the rank list or selection listing.

With offline exams everything is done manually. The question papers had to be prepared and prined in advance, they had to be distributed to the exam centres sufficiently in advance, their safe keeping and security till they are opened on the exam time has to be ensured. As this process passes through many hands, there is always chance of security and secrecy breach and thus we get to read about question paper leaks. That results is re-conducting the exam and ending up in unnecessary delay in the whole process of exams.

The next is collection, pooling and despatch of the answer papers to the valuation centres. Then it is given to the evaluators either at a centralised venue or at individual venues. The papers after evaluation has to be obtained back and the marks tabulated in the candidate's records. During this stage, there happened many errors inadvertently and some intentional manipulations also. There are chances of loss of the answer paper even putting the fate of the candidates to risk.

Online exam eliminates all these risks and all these process stages are done in real time. As the evaluation and marking are also computerised, a lot of time is saved and secrecy and security is maintained. There is no risk of question leaks as the question paper opens on screen just at the time of exam. Copying also is avoided as the questions can be presented in random order by the computer system to each candidate, thus each one getting different question at the same serial number.

So, time wise and security wise, the online exam is btter.

Online exams in objective nature and conducted in examination centers is perfect but online exams which are objective in nature conducted other than examination centers has got so many loopholes than an offline mode of examinations with objective question papers.
    Online examinations need to perfectly programmed and error free because an error in Programming pays a heavy price in candidate future.
    Online examinations will have security threats where hacking of the question paper is possible it really difficult to find whether the question is hacked or not.

My opinion is for online examinations. Online examinations are much better than offline examinations. Here are the reasons why:
    1. First of all, online examinations are eco-friendly. Offline examinations mean there should be lot of hard copies of the question. That means a lot of papers are used to print. Many question papers don't come in use when the person appearing in the examination don't turn up. In online examination you sit on a computer and appear for it. If some candidate doesn't show up for the examination, then no worry. No hard copy of question is wasted.
    2. Some author said that we can't view the entire question in online examination, which is not true in the case of most online examinations. Just like in case of offline examination, you can see the entire question paper. There are buttons to view the entire question paper and the marks cut off for its various sections. Then again you can switch back to the question you were solving. But there are few online examinations like GMAT where until you solve the current question, you can't move on to the next.

Live life Kingsize!

I would like to continue to write in favor of online examinations with the following views:
    3. Online examination eliminates the chance of sharing the answer scripts in between the candidates and thus works against cheating.
    4. Speaking of cheating, since the paper is totally online, no one can scribble on the question paper like offline examinations. In lot of school examinations it is seen that candidates cheat using their question paper.
    5. Since the examination is online, the questions are more objective. Offline examinations are more subjective. So the problem there is that a candidate mainly repeats what is written in the book. They don't learn much, they mug up and fill a lot of answer scripts with mainly some incoherent words from the text. Such words don't mean anything to them in life.
    Whereas online examinations help a student learn new techniques. Since you have to implement the techniques you have learnt to answer a question, mugging up will be useless. So online examination helps student learn a subject much better than offline examinations.

Live life Kingsize!

@Bhushan, the question papers can't be hacked. The server schycronize the real time activity of all the records of input and output. Even if the papers were hacked or are hacked, it will automatically reset the data to real time activity shield. Hacking is impossible.

Online modes are not only for objective types questions and answers. Descriptive and brief answers can also be written for fundamental courses and subjects.

@john deo, ofcourse both online mode and offline mode has time frame. But what I meant to say is, in online mode once the time is up the examination stops automatically and there is nothing one can do of he wants to review one answer or if he wants just one minute. But in offline mode, one can take upto 5 minutes and review the answer or answer any unattempted question. He will have time atleast till the answer sheets get collected.

@Joyshree, you said students mug up for descriptive type which holds no good. But even for online people can mug up but since options are given they get a chance to select one answer from the given options. Also you mentioned one can view entire question paper online also. But it cannot be as easy as viewing the questions offline. Yes there are buttons to chose the question, check for the cutoff, view all the questions and then go back to question they want to answer but won't that be time consuming? In offline you can view questions easily, attempt the one's that you are confident and then go to unanswered questions. You don't have to click on the arrow buttons to view the question.
    @john deo, giving descriptive answers online is difficult. As I mentioned earlier, not everyone are perfect in using computer, not everyone have good typing speed and accuracy. Most of the people type searching for the keys on the keyboard and then look into the moniter to check for the word they have typed. They will lost the flow of answering the question.
    Also there are many technical challenges in online exam such as power cut, computer might hang or stop responding, system or the software might crash, server might become slow.

online mode of examination is the best way of conduct any paper. As online exam how many question /Answer are correct show at the same time. Student can easily judge the result. he/she is mentally prepare.

595211 There is nothing impossible with the modern technology as we can hack the Data through several Web client or Web Apis programming unless and until it is strongly secured which has Https or Authenticate certificates......

In continuation to my above response #595126, why I support Offline mode exam is, if a candidate taking online mode exam has the liberty to change answer at any time and so he/she take it easy policy in answering questions thinking that they may verify it at a later stage of the exam again. The candidate may not concentrate fully and seriously in answering the questions at first attempt and by the time they want to verify second time they may not have sufficient time to do so. So those who are arguing that the candidate can change their answers through online mode exam has to realize due to this type of lethargic mind set the efficiency of candidate in answering questions will be seriously affected.

The timer on the Online mode exam constantly create psychological pressure on the candidate and thereby disturb him/her on concentrating on the questions. This continuous time alert pressure cannot be felt in offline mode exams.
    Most of the students in India have their coaching in offline mode only i.e paper and pen. When a student is well versed with a particular system through out his/her learning and practice, suddenly he/she choose another system to answer will surely affect their performance.

Continuous expo-user to small screen of the Computer in reading and answering questions may bring headache and discomfort to the candidate which may not be the case with Offline mode exam.

There are several loopholes in Online examinations below are this
    1)If an examination is conducted through online it should be in objective nature
    2)Slow Internet connection or interrupted internet correction will be a huge drawback in online mode of examinations
    3)Online exams which are away from examination centers is vulnerable to more Malpractices.
    4)Computer hardware and software problems will be encountered with online mode examinations
    5)Erroneous programming results or abnormal errors which are not rectified in testing will be a cause of concern in the Online mode of examinations.
    6)Hacking the Question paper is also possible so it is difficult to find whether the question paper is hacked or not?.

@Jhon Deo, With reference to your response #595185, this is my view regarding Online mode exam-
    What you meant as an advantage may turn to be disadvantage in online mode exam- Candidates taking exam in online mode, answer the questions casually in the first attempt thinking that they can verify them at a later stage of the exam. They don't give a serious thought to the question and such doubtful answered questions become more and more in number towards the end of the exam. So to verify and answer them again become more tedious and more time consuming. Some more disadvantages of taking exam online mode I explained in my earlier response #595238.

#595207, #595208, In online mode candidate can physically feel every word of the question whenever he/she want just by seeings. But on computer candidate has to slide the page up and down to get to particular word of the question which is a discomfort.
    Another point, Computer based exams are eco-friendly but they too consume electricity for their working. For Online exams there is no cheating is not true. In online exams also the Supervisor or technical team may help the candidates without the notice of others in the exam hall.

@Sushma, in my first response, I mentioned that, both the exams are held either online or offline.

1. Candidates who are quite conversant with the usage of computers with average typing accuracy rate can opt in for online mode.

2. Candidates who are habitutated with pen and paper but are poor in typing can go for offline.

Preferences are given!

@Ramakrishna, I'm actually inclined to disagree with you. What do you meant by cheating? Can you guarantee no cheatings in offline? In online mode, you can't cheat because every students get a random questions which makes it even difficult to imagine or appear the exam without studies. And CC TV footage are there to watch you and you or anyone might get caught for silly mistakes.

In offline mode, 70% cheats in exam. Also, nothing can stop them because, teachers might help them puposely and chances are very low to get caught.

Online mode is better!

This is an interesting topic for debate. It is a contest between traditional 'paper and pen' examination and online examination. So far as India is concerned, more than 90% of the examinations are held in a traditional way, i.e., these examinations are 'paper and pen' examination. Only less than 10% examinations are online examinations.

Initiating the iscussion, I would like to make my stand very clear. I am without any hesitation in support of traditional offline examination. I am going to explain the reasons behind my stand. So far as the examinations conducted by various Boards/Universities which confer degrees to the students,it is still not possible to conduct examinations online simply due to lack of infrastructure. In this connection, whe should not think only about IITs, IIMs and other glitzy educational institutions of metro cities; we have to think about lakhs of schools, colleges and universities located in rural and semi-urban areas. These academic institutions don't have the resource or infrastructure to go online. So, as on 2017, it is simply not possible to go for online examination in respect of degree-conferring examinations conucted by Boards and Universities.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

@Parth, I assume that most primary school do offer coputer education and they can't afford to conduct online computer examination. And that's obviously not recommended for primary section. They need to also improve their hand writhng skills, and aptitude. We are talking about class 10 above.

We live in a world which demands instant result. Most institution offers jobs to computer literate canditates. Even reluctantly, we should give up the old methods and go for new preferences which have high scope in future, Because we must try to get used to it.

Online exams are perfectly planned to aviod technical issues, electricity problems, glitches and etc because such problems are common and can happen. A technical support team and tech guys are always available to sort out this issue.

Those institution who can't afford do not conduct online computer examinations. Please refrain from coming up with such points: afford. Only those institution who are capable are conducting computer exams. They give preferences too that meets your comfortable.

Some author says cheating is possible by hacking. I say this is not possible. Even that is possible, it will take a lot of time to hack if it is encrypted by 128 or doesn't care how much bytes. They only save records of marks knowing that anynomous can hack. They don't save all the datas in database on the web. And under such circumstance, you can't hack because you only get the details not the origimal Blue Print.

Mr. Jhon Deo (#595249), Competitive exams like Medical Entrance, Engineering, AIIMS, BITSAT entrance exams are following random questions with different series of question papers in Offline mode also to remove malpractices and cheating from 1975's itself and its not new now. The same questions will be given to all the students in a differently assorted way there by candidate will feel the same difficulty in answering the questions. But in the new pattern different batches will get new questions and the toughness level of the questions may not be similar to all the candidates. There is a possibility that some batches may get some easy questions and some may get tough questions. So not equal justice done to every candidate who is appearing for particular competitive exam.

Descriptive questions type or nature cannot be Online examinations because
    1)Typing speed will vary from member to member.
    2)He/she should be a computer savvy.
    3)Software and Hardware interrupts and power interrupts
    4)Internet supply interruption.

Even if preference or Option is given to go offline or Online mode of examination to a Candidate it is definitely a burden to conduct the examinations. Because maintaining two types of the modes is very difficult and leads to total dismantle of examination.

@#595257 ,John Deo. Please refer the link once and you can know whether the Online examinations can be hacked or not...

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-andhrapradesh/JNTU-students-hack-exam-portals/article15304343.ece

I said hacking is possible but if encrypted it will take weeks, months and ages to manipulate the server to get administrative privilage or access.

When the hacking is complete the results are already declared. So whats the use of hack? Unless someone (authority) from the institution helps to hack.

And, do you guarantee cheating free and fair in offline mood?

There was a time when only offline examinations were held. There was a need to complete the paper in stipulated time. The student had to make a strategy which question to answer first and which to attempt later. There were some questions which demanded detailed description like writing an assay. This type of questions tested the writing abilities of students. Even good handwriting made an positive impact on the examiner.

With technological advancements things changed drastically. Online examination and that also objective type emerged as a powerful option to test the abilities of students. The whole system of assessment changed from descriptive to pointed answers. This is in fact a paradigm shift in examination system.

Whether one likes or not, in future, the examination system ultimately will move to online and the descriptive and creative abilities of students will have to be judged only at the time of interview.

Once the technology ensures sturdy computer servers and peripherals the online examination will get further boost.

In my opinion online examination is a better option as it will remove hassles of fixing exam centres, arranging invigilators, movement of students, mass copying, movement of answer sheets, rechecking of answer sheets etc.

Knowledge is power.

Encryption are two types one is public key encryption and other is two pair key encryption which private and Public key encryption the first one is old tradition and the second one is new tradition as theoretically said in Network security it will take ages to crack the Keys with algorithm but it is not true in real time it will not take that much time to crack any of the algorithms.So hacking within minutes is possible the above link which I produced is a sufficient evidence for that.

I attended several online exam, Recently I was attained IRDA, the result of exam I saw in the end of paper. My mind is clear for my next move. I wasn't wait for result. My next step move forward toward my target. If anyone attempt offline exam. They have to wait for result. sometime we have two or more way to move but we are confused what we do ? In such situation online exam is helpful. Result is in our hand and picture is clear.

In continuation to my submission at #595134, as I mentioned so many benefits we have seen and the benefits are available at any point of time with offline examinations.

After the deliberating discussions, I observed that so many members of new generation adaptive with online examinations are not in favour of offline exam stating with so many reasons like: filling up the details on the answer sheet / OMR sheet manually, waiting time is much more for result without which we cannot go further in the particular exam, and so on.

In this context, I submit that filling of details manually which takes time for offline exam is OK. But even in online examination also, one has to register through online 15 or 30 minutes before the examination commences. Even for offline examinations also, the key is being is published for all kinds of examination within 2 to 3 days after the examination. So one may not require to wait for the result, by verifying the key, one can come to a conclusion how the approximate result would be.

Spencer Johnson in his book 'Who moved my Cheese?' narrates wonderfully to adapt a new system / change in a positive way. As he explained and as we all know change is inevitable and one has to adapt it in his own way then anything could be a flower path, if it doesn't own, even flower path would be like a path with full of thorns.

What I mean to say is, as the technology advances, we have to switch over alongwith it else we would be treated like a primitive man. Every new system has advantages and disadvantages but when advantages are more than the other side, we have to shift accordingly.

Nowadays almost of all the entrance examinations are being conducted through online and the exam conducting organisations are taking much care and pains t conduct them successfully. I think there would be no chance for cheating / malpractice in writing these kind of examinations. Everyone will be provided one system after getting registered and the exam starts as per the pre-set code of papers. For example: different set of question papers are set with different codes. All the questions are same though the code numbers are different but the sections, questions would be jumbled / shuffled. Evaluation of question papers in case of objective papers, it would be easy in online exam. But I am doubtful about descriptive type of exam, how they would be evaluated and how the marks would be awarded. The time frame of the entire process of examinations, can be adhered to strictly as decided in online exam.

Anyway, complete transformation towards online examinations of all kinds of examinations in our country may take sometime. But the day will come and we have to adapt it coolly.

Further advancement considering or adopting foreign practices Online examinations can be conducted at home as there is no need to go examination centers so what your say folks......

It is good we must welcome all new aged technology but ultimate thought is that whether new technology is boon or curse.
    Online way is faster and reliable in terms of exam as system choose the right or wrong answer automatically.
    in offline mode there is manual interference in terms of fair result but same time it also give as an early glimpse of whole paper so that we can answer those question at first attempt about which we are sure, while in online mode we dont have idea about kind of question coming after one.
    there is merit and demerit lies in both the mode but we are moving with time and technology so has to use online mode sooner or later.

Online examination has a lot of advantages over offline examinations. I have mentioned some of them earlier. I would like to continue by first mentioning that offline examination inculcates a panic among students. Unlike one author mentioned it does not motivate or inspire students. How can an examination motivate a student when the basic idea in the examination pattern is the more you mug up properly, the better you score. In fact, the validity of this point lies in the basic fact that almost all competitive examinations are MCQ type and not descriptive type as that in offline examination system.
    A lot of career based examinations like banking and management examinations are online. That is enough to prove that people recruiting in the management sectors and banking sectors don't believe that students who mostly come from offline based examination system know a lot. They also feel that these students don't understand or read in between the lines of their textbooks. Therefore they have incorporated online examination system which depends on how good you understand your textbook and not how much you learn you textbook.
    To clarify what one author said that online examination too needs mugging up, I would like to say that NO, it does not need that. You don't by heart the texts while giving a competitive examination, do you? The answer to this question itself says that online examination, being MCQ type stresses on the application part of the textbooks.

Live life Kingsize!

Few authors have the confusion that online examination is time consuming, which is not. I will clarify this with the following:
    1. Time limit does not differ for an examination, be it online or offline. If an offline examination requires 3 hours to complete then the time limit for the online examination will also be same. The question pattern will definitely be different and the number of questions will differ. But time in both cases will remain sufficient,
    2. What the problem of an offline examination is that since the questions are descriptive, they tend to become very lengthy at times and hence the students tend to panic at the end. The time management to such lengthy answers become a problem for the students.
    3. Some authors are thinking that filling up up the details in online examination is a big headache which is not. In fact, you just need your enrollment number or registered mobile number to log in to the machine where you are sitting for the examination. Rest of the details are already filled up in the machine. I am saying this because I have given a lot of examinations online and I had to utilize only a minute to fill in the registered mobile number or email id for my personal details. Rest was already given in the machine.
    On the other hand filling up details in offline examination is time consuming. You can make mistakes, you tend to overwrite. Some people don't have clear handwriting, so understanding their name or enrollment number from the answer script becomes tough.

Live life Kingsize!

Both modes or types of examinations have advantages and Disadvantages but to conduct online mode of examination needs to have good infrastructure to conduct exams like (internet supply,power supply, good software and hardware computers,strong secure network servers). And I think descriptive nature or type of examinations will be in Offline examinations.....

Someone mentioned that online examination could be given on any convenient time. This is not true. Only if the online examination is mock, you can give it when you have time. But the time limit of that question would be fixed.
    Similarly some authors mentioned that invigilation in online examination is not required. But that is also untrue. I have given a lot of competitive examinations. In all the competitive examinations that I appeared in, invigilators maintained a strict watch on the competitors. So both the things the authors have mentioned are misconceptions.
    Online examinations are run on a stipulated time. A lot of effort goes in it. The time schedule for online examinations are fixed. You have to sit for the examination in the respective school or college where the examination will be held. You are required to bring a photo identity proof of yours to eligible for the examination. The duration of the examination is prefixed and no online examination is conducted without the presence of invigilators. Invigilators see to it that every candidate is comfortable on their machines and no candidate is taking the help of any malpractice during the examination.

Live life Kingsize!

In my discussion post #595196 above, I put forth the view that online exams save a lot of time in every step of the exam thus making things faster than the traditional offline'pen and paper' system.

Now I am extending from the same point and logic to say that because the time gap and physical transmission of answer papers are avoided, many loopholes and opportunities for malpractices like replacing or altering the answer papers by vested interests, is prevented. Also avoided is the deliberate 'wong evaluaion to favour someone or other or a group even.

Why I say this is that, during my own college days, I had heard about many such things happening. There was a very popular tutorial coaching class with branches at all major towns. Those who enrolled in these classes were sure to pass all exams. The students (whose success was in doubt for the coaching teachers very confidentially advised to put a pre-decided prominent marking of a shape in the answer paper. The evaluators were influenced by the coaching class people and were to give more marks or evaluate liberally those papers which had those pre-decided marks. The markings may be for example drawing a star at the left-hand top corner of the answer sheet, or darkening the alphabet 'OO in Zoology paper, etc. The coaching tutorials had their own channels o influence in the education exam departments to know whom and where the answer sheet goes for evaluation, and they are suitably influenced.
    As weak students who thus get passed do not complain or ask for re-valuation, this kind of manipulations do not get reported or caught.

Online exams get evaluated mechanically by pre-determined answer key and programmed suitably, such manipulations are prevented.

Offline exams are like the Electronic voting where the process of input is easy, and less time consuming and also the output result is also fast and less cumbersome, and allowing almost nil malpractice.

it is indeed true that online examination requires constant power supply and very secure environment. All this requires a certain high amount of budget and a good infrastructure to support. But if you take into account the amount of papers and printing ink and envelope cost involved in offline examination, then online examinations are far cheaper. In fact, due to this reason and due to the ease of conducting online examinations many competitive examinations have switched to online mode. Government is also supporting online examination.
    Also, online examinations are much secure than offline ones. Leaking of question papers is a known problem in case of offline examinations. That doesn't happen in online ones as here everything is conducted through a secure software.
    In fact, like deploying any new technology, conduction online examinations 5 years earlier was far costlier than nowadays and it will be much cheaper 5 years down the line. In fact, after few years down the line online examinations will be the only option in most universities.

Live life Kingsize!

@john deo #595249, you said exams can be conducted both online and offline and students can opt the option they are most convenient with. But do you think students are given a chance to opt the mode of examination they want for a paper? For any exam either online or offline will be fixed and students should take that mode. No examination will come with an option for students to chose offline and online.
    #595298 @seema mital, not every online exams shows the results at the end of exam. Very few certification exams taken displays the result. For example, if you take up a bank exam you have to wait for the results to be announced. So it is not true that all online exams displays the result at the end of the examination.

I agree that I supported online exams due to the favourable factors of time saving and nil or minimal malpractice and chances of corruption.
    Does it mean that online exams are having only favourable factors and no limiting factor?
    Online exams also have their limitations and disadvantages.
    The first disadvantage is the infrastructural needs as below:
    1. Need of more space than conventional offline exams: (a)need of separate machine for each candidate, (b)need of space for machine and candidate.
    2. The arrangements of so many wires and cables going around and avoiding clogging and crossing to prevent tipping over.
    3. Need for continuous and uninterrupted power supply
    4. Need of replacement machines in case one or more machines develop technical problems.
    5. Need for availability of technically competent person who can solve any technical issues arising.
    6.Updating the systems and machines in consonance with the development of technology or facing issues.
    6. All these require more funds.
    7.Changes in the system need to be intimated and candidates given time to familiarise with the new system.

In the school level or college level exams where the students are tested with the same set of questions the exam nee to be conducted, there are limitations of infrastructure like space, funds and technical expertise. So they cannot be resorted to in the lower level of exams for internal assessment and monitoring.

Online exams are suited better for the 'elimination type exams ' conducted as entrance tests and job tests, where the candidates are mostly unknown to each other, coming from far places, they are segregated in different sessions whereby the face to face meeting of those who had finished exams and those who are waiting for the exam is avoided. Such exams are conducted wherein the candidates basic knowledge level is already assessed by their threshold qualifications and online exams test the efficacy of speed and immediate recall or easy choice from the given alternatives.

Although there is a difference in the method how online examinations are conducted or how online papers are viewed or checked, all the methods are designed by keeping the convenience of students in mind.
    Online examinations have the option to check the entire question paper once before proceeding to the area you would like to answer. It is not that when you are giving an offline examination, then you get more time to read the question paper. In fact online examinations even help you to go through the question paper section wise if you wish. If the examination contains three sections, say, then you can not only view the entire question paper at one go but also each of the three sections at one go just with the help of a click. This is a wrong concept that in case of online examinations question surfing takes too much time. You just have to understand first which are the buttons and what are their functions. Just clicking doesn't take much time.
    But it is true that to understand the function of the buttons you must go through the instructions carefully and that requires some time. But you do get plenty of time before the examination starts and after you enter the hall.

Live life Kingsize!

Joyshree @ #595348
    While I appreciate your efforts to put forth strong defense in favour of you side stand, I cannot agree with you when you say ..." You don't by heart the texts while giving a competitive examination, do you? The answer to this question itself says that online examination, being MCQ type stresses on the application part of the textbooks."
    The online exams conducted for jobs are just elimination tests and not evaluation tests. The candidates are not uniform in their subjects or courses of basic eligibility. The test is conducted for a level below the threshold education level. For example a bank clerk exam is testing the numerical ability and language skil and genral knowledge of anyone who has successfully completed the SSC, even though the basic eligibility is a graduation. So it is just a speedy recall of what you know. Hence offline-objective test are enough to have a preliminary selection by elimination. The final selection has one or more filter like group discussion and/ or personal interview where the suitability and depth of knowledge is further tested. Hence online exams suited for such types of preliminary elimination.

Some other points that I would discuss here are:
    1. Handwriting is a big issue in case of offline examinations. If your handwriting is bad, your paper will get less marks, even if you answered well. Sometimes understanding the credentials of the candidate also becomes a problem due to bad handwriting. Even if a candidate has fair handwriting it all gets bogged up due to the tension of the examination and the length of the question paper. No such problems arise in online examinations.
    2. Yes, online examinations require more space than offline ones, but that us not a huge problem in today's age of flat screen monitors. In fact, space is what makes online examination safe from cheating or copying answer script problems.
    3. Issue of wire and cables in today's age of wireless internet and connections is totally incorrect and a wrong issue to bring up in this GD.
    4. Railways and hospitals also require whole day power supply. That doesn't make them obsolete. Requirement of power is not a hindrance for good causes. Can we say that stop running hospitals as they require constant power supply? No and in fact, online examinations require constant power for only the 2-3 hours of time during which the examination takes place. In fact, no online examination lasts more than 3 hours. So what if we need constant power supply during that time. Government makes the necessary arrangements for causes where constant power supply is required.

Live life Kingsize!

John Deo@ #595270,
    I am delighted to see that you are discussing with valid arguments from your side. However I have to either partially agree or partially disagree with you reading the referred post and the previous one from you,
    Theoretically we cannot guarantee one hundred percent error free or intervention free online activities. They are alo prone to malafide interventions and abuses. However as the online exams are relatively new and those who are technically qualified may not be having their personal interests and benefits for themselves, they are not trying to do that. In another words, those who are candidates in online exams themselves are not technicaly experts to attempt hacking or do not get adequate time and opportunity to do the hacking.
    We cannot gurantee this when online exams become more prevalent and someone comes with an agency or service at a fe to hack and leak question papers or manipulate answer paper or ranking. As the people who devise and implement the online systems are also humans who have studied the technology and have the human fallacies, we cannot say for sure what the future holds for online exams also. But, for the time being, online exams are relatively fraud free.
    Offline exams also were free from such malpractice initially.

#595348, One thing is, descriptive type of examinations are not much suitable for online examinations, also are not much seen as well as popular India. If descriptive type of examinations are conducted online, the candidate must be a technical savvy person otherwise it will be difficult for the individual to answer them like a Offline mode writing candidate. The candidate has to take more care in technical aspects of using and typing in computer rather than thinking about answer. It is not offline mode exams but online mode exams cause panic as I mentioned in my earlier response. Getting overall view of the question paper is not possible with online mode. Selecting and moving to known questions from various different sections to answer is not possible unless or otherwise one has to go to that particular question by keeping it in their mind. As there is a chance to change the answers again in online mode, a kind of in attentiveness sets in which makes the candidate to accumulate more questions for further review to the end which may lead to lack of time to answer them properly. If any technical glitch occurs the peace and mind set of the student get spoiled and his/her performance will be seriously affected. In online mode as time tickles on the screen continuously cause a lot of pressure on his/her answering. The competitive exams which are conducted are MCQ type and are mainly meant to test the various abilities of the candidate whether is Offline or Online. So there is no question of whether one writes online are more intelligent and Offline are less intelligent etc. The question in debate is whether to appear for online or Offline for a particular exam and which is better?
    The second thing is Online mode exams are fully leak proof is not true. Through hacking or through the technical persons who feed the questions into the servers are the routes through which leakage of question papers may occur. Last year or so the prestigious CAT exam question paper of evening session were seen by afternoon session students, the photo images were sent to outside.

Nowadays, generally all the competitive examinations are being conducted through online only in almost of all nook and corners of our country. I don't think leaking of prestigious CAT exam question paper prior to one session. If so, another set would definitely be conducted for the next session. While conducting the online examination enough data bank is being created even in the question papers also. Hence, any kind of leakage of papers are identified, without waiting for nod of someone or to think of postponing the exam, coordinators are able to conduct the exam with cool mind with another set of question bank.

GeeKay, generally even for offline exam not just one set of paper is created. Even for offline mode, many sets of questions paper is created and out of that one paper will be selected secretly for the examination. In case the selected paper has been leaked then there are others sets available for the examination.
    Matter of conducting second round of exam appears only in case were leakage of question paper is known after the exam is over.

In the first part of my response, I have tried to present my perspective on offline ('paper & pen') examination in respect of degree-conferring examinations. I reiterate that given the structure of these degree-conferring examinations in our country, it is not possible to shift o online mode at this juncture. This is applicable from Xth standard examination to Post-Graduate/M.Phil level. Moreover, we have to consider huge number of candidates also, many of whom are from rural areas.

Now let us come to the competitive examinations. Many Members of ISC have opined that the competitive examinations should be held online mode. In this connection, I would like to share my own experience regarding NET examination which I qualified in 2008. At that time, a system was initiated by UGC (at that time examination was conducted directly by UGC) to fill up the form online and submit the hard copy of the same. I personally know that thousands of candidates from semi-urban and rural areas of Haryana, Punjab, Western Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan came to UGC office in Delhi because they could not fill up the form online. From this example, I want to state that contrary to the belief of many, more than 70% of Indian students of Graduation/Post Graduation are not computer-savy. So, they face distinct disadvantage in case of online examination. If competitive examinations are held online, these would have distinct urban elitist bias and the Government will lose many deserving candidates who are not comfortable with computer. So, I strongly feel against online examination. In India-2017, offline examination is still much better.

I will further substantiate my argument in the next part of my response.

I will start my points about this topic with a real life example-
    When I gave my first online exam I find it little frustrating for the first time because of habit of pen-paper mode, and other than the that the continuous ticking clock shown above the question paper kept making me more frustrated and panicked but I still somehow managed to complete the test.
    But their was a girl in my classroom who wasn't much aware about working with computers and after 30 minutes of examination she asked examiner that her answers are not fed in the question paper and when examiner checked it he realized that - She gave the answers but didn't save her answers each time she changed the question and she ended up wasting whole 30 minutes and the time allotted for complete exam was 60 minutes.

So I realized that Offline mode of examination is certainly better as far as India is considered because in many parts of our country people still don't have any interaction with technology. And students appearing for exams with such background face very much difficulty with these exams.
    Although online mode is more convenient and less time taking than offline mode it not only reduces problem of government official while carrying loads of answer sheets from place to place but also reduces the problem of checking authorities, with online mode of examination government not only saves money and labor used in checking and maintenance of these exams but also ensures that their is no problems of cheating in exams.
    But for implementation of such exam on all India level it needs some time.
    1. Students should be made aware of online mode of examination and how to attempt them from school level so that they don't have to face problems while giving competitive exams.
    2. Before real exam their should be 5 or 4 minute mock exam for students so that they don't have to face any difficulty while giving that exam.

"It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

We are not a 'Luddite'!

Let me tell you the benefits of advance technology.

1. We are able to write blogs from home and earn monies throuh online and earn revenue shares through Adsense- This is because of advance technology. (There are more bloggers from India than other countries)

2. We are able to post our discussion at ISC and get prompt input from members- This is because of technology.

3. The Operating Systems are developed by foriegniers. While some author says, why we adopt foriegniers policies and modes. Even the internet!

4. Why not go for writing on stone rather than writing on papers- This is because of the technology we are able to write on papers and coputers. Some author says, we should not adopt foriegn policies, then quit using mobile smart phones, computers and internet and live like a primitive or stone age people. Would you? No! We should switch over alongwith morderm technology.

We all know online exam is better.

This debate has reminded me of the Luddites in 18th century Leicestershire employee, who destroyed industrial machinery to protest against and destroy the mordern advanced tech machines because they were frustrated about textile machinery replacing them away.

Those members of ISC who says offline are luddites who refuser to adopt an incorporate technolngy into their lives because they are afraid of it or are too slow to adapt to the introduction of complex, online exam with new, mordern and advance technology which continually evolve.

These people or members are said to have Technostress or Technophobia which is the fear or dislike of technology or complex devices especially computers and internet.

Online exams are better. Offline and online have few differences. You save pen and paper, time, and stress. In online mode you don't need anything.

I agree with Neelam, not everyone are computer savvy and they need a lot of time in understanding and learning. There are many people who struggle to learn basics despite being thought several times especially those hailing from village background. And when such people appear for exam, they might not know how to proceed further and might waster their time.
    But even in awareness is created about online exams, I do not think everyone will be able to learn and grasp it. Though people are changing from offline to online mode it is not feasible as everyone are not used to online but all are used to offline using pen and paper. Giving mock test before exam is a good idea but I feel that cannot be implemented. Instead a demo can 2 minutes can be shown before the start of the exam of how to choose an option, save the answer proceed further etc.

@ John deo, good to read the benefits of advanced technology. We all are aware about blogging and making money from blogs and Adsense. But there is a lot of difference in sitting at home and writing blogs, contributing in ISC and appearing for online exam.
    You contribute to your blogs in your leisure time with no time limit. Even if you are first time user and if you are not aware anything about the blog or the website, you have all the time in the world to explore and learn about it.
    But that does not happen with online exam. The exam starts at the right time and ends at the right time and if a person is appearing for the first and does not properly know about online exam them he will have no time to explore and if a single minute is wasted in doing so then it is like a precious loss. He won't get any extra minute to learn and understand things. And not everyone are stressed for offline exam and not all are stress-free for online exam. It merely depends on the person.

Sushma #595404, Yeah. Setting of no. of question papers in offline mode was initially started during early 90s with code number of A, B, C and D. We used to hear the announcement in the radio news just before the commencement of examination say 1 to 2 hours which code number paper is to be used for the examination. Since it was so old and even those days minimum 4 types of question papers were used to be printed, nowadays with the technology improvement data bank of question papers for each examination could be set up and easy to conduct the online exam without any hiccups even in the question paper leakage zones.

I agree with Sushma that the activities we do in our leisure time to earn money with the use of technology can't be compared with the a aspirant giving an online exam.
    Spending time on gaining technical knowledge and sitting in an examination hall and implementing all your knowledge and feed it within a computer in a time bound environment is totally different situation.
    The pressure a aspirant face during examination is already at its peak and when suddenly mode of examination is changed from offline to online the pressure reaches to its zenith, I am not a person to oppose the technological advancement in the academics but these should be done after knowing the situation of aspirants preparing for these exams from years.
    When unemployment rate is so high in our country we should focus on to make examination convenient for every candidate who have capability to crack it, but they are lagging behind because they don't have means to learn the technical advancements and give mock examination before the real exams.

"It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

1. One of the authors mentioned that we need to be thorough with the subject for appearing in an offline examination. But the same applies and that too in more intricate format in case of online examinations. In offline examinations you can write the answers in a descriptive format and get better marks for replicating what you have learnt in the book. But in online examination everything is multiple choice type. There is no way you can overwrite a simple thing. You must understand what exactly the question wants. To understand that you must be well versed with what you have learnt. It is simple to understand from this that online examinations are much more career oriented and hones our intelligence.
    Live life Kingsize!

2. One of the authors have mentioned that since village people don't know anything about computers, for them online examination is a wastage of time. But aren't the village people using smartphones today? It is hard to believe that smartphone generation are not tech savvy enough just to click few simple buttons. Yes, I do agree that initially it will be a problem to get accustomed. But any new technology takes time to be imbibed by the people. But that doesn't mean you remain primitive all your life. If you think that offline examination is our future, only because one section of the society are not thorough with operating computers then it is regressive thinking. We must give education to people to operate the monitor during the examination. The instructions given during the examination must be very lucid and simple. This would take time but would bear great fruits in future. Think, with online examinations running in most sections of the country we can go paperless and that would be a true "go green" initiative.
    3. In fact, as a result of the previous point I would say that paper checking becomes a headache in offline examinations. You need to bring the copies from the head office, you need to do a lot of formalities and clear papers to be able to correct those papers. Then again when the copies are corrected, mark sheets are prepared. Preparing mark sheets is a double headache. Those ISCians who are professors like me would know what I mean to say. In online examination system the grades are automatically calculated as you submit the answers. Someone mentioned that few online examinations do not show the score immediately. True, but the calculation is already done. Due to some post examination formalities and administrative procedures the score is not shown to the students immediately. But it is posted in the website one or two weeks later. Had it been offline like 10th and 12th standard examinations, then publishing results take at least 2-3 months.

Live life Kingsize!

#595378 Joyshree. In India we always skip or given least importance in highest Priority things, less priority things given most importance as your arguments comparing with hospital and Online exams looks like that. As now we are facing of Scarcity of electricity to lead the life and you want to add a fuel in it by implementing online examinations.

In this part of my response, I would deal with the practical difficulties associated with online examinations in present-day India. Some of the problems associated with this form of examination are:-

(i) Adequate number of computer terminals would not be available, especially in rural and semi-urban localities.
    (ii) Power failure is a major constraint, particularly when the entire examination is held simultaneously all over the country.
    (iii) The computers will not be of equal capacity all over the country.
    (iv) The speed of the internet would not be uniform in all centres.
    (v) Online examination in India is still not suitable for descriptive questions.
    (vI) The evaluation of descripttive questions would be a mjor head-ache in case of online examinations.

Unfortunately, most of the participants in this thread are discussing about holding competitive examinations in online mode. They haven't even thought about the degree-conferring examinations. Even in case of competitive examinations where descriptive answers are required (as for example, Civil Services Main examination), online examination and evaluation of papers would be a disaster. So, time is not ripe and technology is still not advanced for shifting to online mode in respect of all examinations in India.

I concur with the points mentioned by Partha about the inadequate power supply and net connectivity. In many small town their are no facilities to conduct online examination and hence students has to travel long journeys of 12 to 13 hours to just give an examination and because of this they are already in condition of tiredness and fatigue.
    Even in my own city Pithoragarh (Uttrakhand) their is no such center where online examination can be conducted although my town is proper net connectivity and power supply but no such center for examination available and hence student has to go to Haldwani (almost 5 hour) journey to give an examination and more bigger problem arises if the examination is in the morning.
    So aspirants if wishes to give an online exam the nearest center is almost 5 hours away from their hometown.
    I am not in the opposition of online mode of examination but its implementation in all India level requires much more work to be done. It require every city to have an examination center and proper facilities like proper net connection and power supply.

As everybody (every member) is agreeing with my views or points which I posted in the discussion so I would summarize my last comments or points in this discussion as Online examinations are not appropriate or suitable to our Indian environment(mainly because of the size of the population).We can't compare India to the most developed countries like USA,UK,AUSTRALIA and other developed nations...So my conclusion to the discussion is a Strict no to Online examinations.....

#595450, The author is misguiding herself that online examinations are meant only for objective type but if they are conducted offline can be conducted in descriptive type. In that sense online exams are more superior but the question in the debate is not that. For example a candidate can write Medical Entrance exam in Offline mode as well as online mode. For both the type of exams candidate have to answer in objective mode only. Here the question in debate is which mode will be more suitable for the candidate to do better? In future or even at present in some instances descriptive type exams also are conducted in online mode as well as offline mode. The question here is which mode makes the candidate to do better. Even in descriptive type also there are so many advantages for Offline writing mode. You are at sometimes arguing Offline exams will be conducted in objective type only but the same exam if it is conducted will be descriptive type.
    Another thing some who are arguing for Online mode, paper and ink will be saved. But here we have to argue for the beneficiary who is nothing but the candidate whose future will be decided on the basis of taking his/her exam. To talk something like saving paper and ink in this contest is too silly.

#595419, You are comparing life essential and life turning exams with silly things like blog writing. Blog writing or activities of social media are your personal interests. You may do all these interesting activities in a leisurely way. But when come to competitive exams or exams lot of care or more comfort in your writing exam is required. When you compare the situation with most developed countries like USA, UK, Australia, Japan etc. it is quite different with India. Here the population is more and the advancements of modern technology have not reached to every individual and every region of India.

I agree that comparing online examinations with blog writing is not correct. Both are different things. The author comparing both attempts to deviate the topic from the main issue it addresses.
    1.The author who brings up that village people cannot attempt online examination is incorrect to say so as I have given few competitive online examinations in interiors and small town areas.
    2. One author has raised a point that online examinations are elimination tests, so mugging up is applicable there. I fully disagree. If online tests eliminate lesser eligible candidates then my point is established even better. Only those candidates are lesser eligible who by heart topics without understanding it. Mostly online examinations stress upon the critical analysis of the topics explored by the standard text books. Mugging up is only a part of online examinations. So I don't agree that for elimination round offline is enough. Offline examinations are mostly subjective and you can't eliminate the weak students that way.
    The author also says that the students participating in online tests are not uniform, but that is true for offline too. You can't expect uniformity when it comes to competition or evaluation. Any for of evaluation means you are choosing the best from the rest. Hence people who are not uniform or not at par with the current evaluation system will have to get eliminated. Yes, final selection is done through personal interview. But that is even true for offline examinations. Examinations whether online or offline can give you the top sections of students who are eligible for what they given the examination for. Next if you interact with them personally through GD or PI, you can understand their strengths and weaknesses better. This is even true for offline examination system. So it is neither an advantage or disadvantage of any examination system that a round of GD and Pi follows after the examination.

Live life Kingsize!

One view is that offline examinations can be conducted in sets to avoid cheating. But making multiple sets of question papers increases the printing costs and also incurs the headache of protecting so many varieties of questions from leaking out. In fact, it doubles and triples the burden of checking copies for the teachers.
    But on the other hand in case of online examinations no matter how many sets you make, you just need to feed one set in one machine. This will neither increase the printing costs or any other question making cost and neither will it be an extra burden on the teachers for correction. Also no chance of question leaking.
    One author made a very immature comment by saying by promoting online examination the scarcity of electricity will be promoted. It is highly dubious that due to a 3 hour online examination we will loose a high amount of power, when railway stations, metro stations, hospitals, private nursing homes, airport, the government residences of the central ministers get electric power for 24 hours. Don't we have the fear of scarcity of electricity then?

Live life Kingsize!

Now it's time to conclude my argument. Frankly speaking, the issue of this debate conclusively proves that many of us are painfully ignorant about the reality of the country. India does not consist of only the elite sections of the metro cities, rural and semi-urban areas are also part of the country. Have the Members (who are advocating online examination) ever visited a village school or small town college? How many computer terminals are available in such schools and colleges? Is it possible to have online examination in such schools or colleges?

Furthermore, many participating Members have made a mistake by confusing examinations with MCQ-type competitive examinations. For their information, even the top-level competitive examinations conducted by UPSC and State Public Service Commissions are still descriptive/long question type examinations. Is it possible to have online examinations for the top level Government jobs in India? Even if it is possible, what about evaluation? Can computers evaluate essay-type answers?

Not only these, considering the pattern of the questions, number of students scatterred even in remote places and problem relating to evaluation (as mentioned above), the degree-conferring examinations can't be held online in present-day India. I can't comment about advancement of relevant technology in future. So, we can't shift to online examination immediately.

I am now signing off conveying my best wishes to other participants. Thanks to all.

I am happy and grateful to Partha Kansbanik as, vide his post #595464 above ,he practically concurs with my point of 'infrastructural issues' in online examinations .
    However in the same breath I have to say that I have to partially disagree with his view in post #595496" ... that many of us are painfully ignorant about the reality of the country. India does not consist of only the elite sections of the metro cities, rural and semi-urban areas are also part of the country..". I have a counter point 'how many buses and cars or mobiles were there in these villages ,towns etc some years earlier? Now villages are getting fast developing by the governmental and individual efforst. We are now going ahead with the "PURA"or Providing Urban facilities in Rural Areas. It is found from practical research that smartphones and facilities like whatsapp are used more by fisherfolk on-seas, by taxi drivers, by vegetable vendors and migrant labourers almost equal to the tech savvy urban elites.

Once again I have to concur with Partha when he opines that some of the participants are "...confusing examinations with MCQ-type competitive examinations.."

I appreciate John Deo for bringing in the apt word 'Luddite' to explain his points. Yes I also admit that we are not against technological advancement and using them for our convenience and comfort. But technology alone does not make life nice. Still creativity has originality in human mind and talents only.

Even new technology is accepted only after alpha and beta versions accepted widely. As of now the online examinations have not completed their beta stage fully. Those who are tech savvy are vouching for them and recommending them for laymen also. The current GD itself shows that online exam system is still under 'Beta'. By and by it will be accepted to the level they are required by adding or amending and rectifying any deficiencies.

I want to come again to conclude my last point because some authors are talking improvement in villages as I went to visit a place recently in (East Godavari district A.P) district which is called as Kotevari Agraharam as there is no drastic change there when I first visit was in 3rd class now it almost 30 years when I visit the same place the village is similar.Even when reaching to Rajahmundry (East Godavari district A.p)from Hyderabad the roads are really in worst Condition we are overthinking ourselves that villages are modernizing and there is a lot of change but in reality, is different.Even in Bangalore (Byatanarayana Pura nearby hebal) women's do their secretion's at public place...... Having a smartphone is not at all an acceptance and adaptability to modern technology.... Signals should be there to use that smartphone....

Till now in this GD, I was stating my view with some supporting justifications. I also had taken my stand by 'concurring' with the views and justifications of some participants; by me 'disagreeing ' or 'partially agreeing' with some other participants.
    So for clarity, now I am concluding my side discussion by summarising and stating my clear stand in this GD.

1. Taken on equal grounds Online examinations are more convenient and beneficial to the candidates because they save a lot of time in transmission of question papers, answer papers; they save time in evaluation and result declaration.

2. Online exams (as of now) are having almost nil or minimal chances of malpractice and frauds. To prevent such happening in future when it becomes universal, more stringent precautions and security measures have to be incorporated by gaining experience.

3. Minimal human intervention and more mechanical or artificial intelligence involvement helps to manage mass and massive quantity without losing quality or feeling fatigue.

4. Because of the mechanically or computerised arrangement, the online exams are more accurate and precise. Even if errors are noticed they can be corrected from a centralised point. A retake also will be easier and faster.
    But online exams have their con side too:
    Online exams being machine intensive need more infrastructural requirements like more space, more electric power and standby support, dedicated technical support team at every exam centre. All this need more funds outlay also. However the same machine and space can be used for many other uses also and hence the investment is not exclusive to the examinations alone.
    The other downside is the increasing exam cost of online exams gets transferred to the candidates by way of exam fees. As one exam is not a gurantee, candidates have to spend more money on these offline examinations.

Hence it is a mixed bag. My Take is that in spite of the contra factors like cost, infrastructure and high fees , online exams are better for exams involving mass numbers of candidates and where the test is not of 'depth' but basic minimal knowledge and is selection by elimination and filteration.

So subject to all the above reasoning and justifications,

I conclude my discussions in this GD stating that,
    "ONLINE mode is the better mode for examinations than offline mode".

I thank all the participants for making this GD interesting and knowledge sharing.

In conclusion, I would like to say that we should welcome changes that are meant for the betterment of the society.Like government is promoting cashless tomorrow, they will also promote a paperless, cheating proof, hassle free regarding publishing results and tension free tomorrow with the help of online examinations.
    Live life Kingsize!

I strongly believe that online examinations have played a major revolutionary role in the educational system. Since my days of childhood I have been giving such competitive exams and thus have completely witnessed the transition that has taken place.

First and foremost I would like to state the benefits which the students get due to this new examination format:

1) In case of objective exams the student had to cautiously fill the bubbles in order to mark the correct answer which is way more time consuming than a single click of mouse. One can state that it hardly takes a few microseconds in excess but while attempting over 100 questions these microseconds add up to a few minutes which otherwise would have been used to solve a few questions more.

2) In reference to the above mentioned point, anyone who has ever attended such offline objective examination would recollect that there exists the requirement of a particular type of pen without which the OMR sheet checker does not accept the answers. So many a times it does add to the last minute troubles. Online exam has no such issues, all one needs is a valid ID proof.

3) Such OMR sheets have one complete page consisting of candidate details, now there exist a list of problems which often arise due to that page. Firstly it's important to mention that one student is entitled to only one OMR sheet which has already been marked against his/her name directly from the organization conducting the examination. So a small mistake which can happen anytime especially due to the exam tension effects a lot, above all it increases the tension, next the invigilators at times don't have complete knowledge regarding the required procedure and take away the OMR to ask their senior officials which efficiently kills a considerable amount of time. All this would still be avoided if the invigilator gives the paper 10 in advance for such data filling procedures but as the process is manual in many exams I witnessed the fact that this extra time wasn't given and the entire filling procedure was included in the exam duration though clearly mentioned otherwise on the paper. These two problems are gracefully solved by the online procedure as there is no such data filling option since the application directly fetches the information from the database all one needs to do is login and the time is also fixed so no manual manipulation can take place.

4) It has been mentioned above that all examinees might not be tech savvy, the truth is that they need not be due to a few reasons. A complete guide on how to attempt the paper is provided beforehand and to make the situation easier online mock tests are also provided so that the user can try his/her hand at the online examination format. It's like one does not use a phone because he is tech savvy but because it is essential.

5) Chances of cheating are reduced in many cases though not all. One thing that I can vouch by is that no one has ever come across an offline test where there were no incidences of cheating, even strangers become friends when it comes to cheating. Even though examiners came up with the concept of paper sets the students are equally smart and easily find out those having the similar set. This is not possible if the exam is conducted in a computer lab, this is particularly evident by the seating arrangement in computer labs where it is actually hard to locate similar set.

6) One more thing that was mentioned above is that the student is unable to access the complete paper at once, I take this opportunity to mention that this is a feature of adaptive tests which work on such an algorithm where the questions become easier or tougher based on the previous response of the student. Though it has been mentioned by many in the above threads that this is a negative, it is to be realized that adaptive tests are absolutely a new dimension added for some particular tests and was possible only because of online examination format. It is used by most of the IT companies since it helps them understand the character trait of the examinee apart from just his knowledge and that is much essential one would easily understand. In case the exam is not an adaptive one then the complete paper can be accessed at once since its simply a click away where all the questions are properly organized against their question number just as one gets in an offline paper.

7) Another fact which I came across in some of the above threads was that people believe its harder to track the questions that have not been attended. Rather its a lot more easier, firstly there can't be a situation when one mistakenly fills two bubbles for the same question as might happen in an OMR sheet. There exist 4 different colors to show which questions have been attempted, which not, which haven't been seen yet and where the student has a doubt. This panel is clearly mentioned on the right side of the screen with the descriptions mentioned above and even showing the same while hovering over some particular question number in that panel. What's more, the application even allows the user to see the status of the questions in different sections, even as per the marks division at times. Last but not the least it even asks for confirmation from the student if they are done with the paper, by showing the examinee the final status of their question paper.

8) We all remember those days when after an objective exam we used to frantically search through books to check the total marks we would acquire. It was an absolute mess when the question paper was not given to the student to be carried home so instead they carried the over the tension till the results were announced. Thanks to the efficient applications which instantly give out the number of correct and incorrect answers. There also exist some applications which send an auto generated email to the student within a day or two giving the question paper, right answer and the chosen answer. This thus gives the student the right to approach the organization in case some discrepancies even before the result is released thus saving a lot of confusion and trouble.

9) Till now the benefits mentioned above are with respect to objective questions. Coming to subjective questions, I haven't personally come across any such paper yet but I believe it would be equally efficient because with changing times more and more people are getting used to computers for writing textual matters. Furthermore no organization would ask its examinee to attend an online exam without prior preparation, hence the things would be dealt with. One benefit that would obviously exist is that there would exist an uniformity in the font of all texts so no issues would arise to problem in interpretation by the checker.

10) Another thing that I came across was the mention of the need to copy the diagram in case of online exam, which otherwise can be avoided in offline papers. It needs to be stated that even if it's an offline paper one has to redraw the diagram in the rough work section since its clearly mentioned in instructions that one CANNOT mark any answer or write anything in the question area. If the diagram can be mentally interpreted to get the answer, the situation remains same.

11) While solving offline question paper students often face a problem of shortage of rough work area due to which one has to continuously flip through pages to get data and solve the problem in some other paper, this turns out to be the main reason for errors in many cases. Such situations are completely avoided in online exam since ample sheets are provided and the question remains on the screen.

12) Offline exams have even generated problems where the images or some text is not properly printed and no one has the idea what the actual thing is. In online exam, one can separately view the diagrams which are absolutely clear since no printing involved, still if the student has problems, hard copies are also provided on demand.

Now I would mention the benefits that the organization reaps from such online examinations:
    1) The marks are easy to calculate since the result is automatically generated by the application.

2) The results are released earlier, giving both the parties enough time to go through the following procedure.

3) No fear of losing some papers since there exist a technical back up to each and every submitted solution.

4) Transportation charges to send so many papers are also reduced as they just need to send one official and the rest is directly accessed from the database.

5) Chances of any other discrepancies are also greatly reduced which otherwise would have taken place due to human negligence.

Nature is also greatly benefited due to the increase in online examination. No one ever wondered how many trees are chopped down to produce those thousands of papers and surely they were not produced from bagasse because we all know that such papers are costlier and also of entirely different quality from what we get for our papers.

Coming to an end I would approach one of the most debated points for online examination and that is server failure of poor internet connection. That is something that we are coping with, efficient applications, better internet are the main keys to success. Every answer gets saved to the database as the student clicks save and next, so once there is a breakdown one can get back to the same with no loss and I say so since I myself faced that. Internet connections have greatly improved and we are still moving forward. It's not that this is the optimum level, but yes, online examination is the true success formula. It's an absolute nightmare for cheaters but rewards those who actually deserve.

In my opinion if the candidate has the option to choose either Offline or Online mode for attempting the exam, it is always better for the candidate to choose offline mode for the various pros and benefits that I have explained above in this debate. When we go through the entire debate the pros are strongly dominating over the minor pros argued in favor of online mode exams.

Based on the discussions made, I would conclude saying offline mode of examination in better especially for descriptive type of answers as not many are computer savvy. Few authors has mentioned that students can opt for either offline or online but always students are not given to an option to choose. As mentioned, there are few disadvantage in online such as slow system, computer crash, software application crash, power cut etc. Sometimes students might not know to save the answers and if they are new to online mode or if they are not comfortable, they end up wasting their time in learning how to proceed. Offline exam is best as everyone are perfect with using pen and paper and they don't have to waste their time in learning anything in the examination hall.

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.