You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Full form of abbreviations names used for the Central Government organisations.

As several times we puzzled of the short names (abbreviations) that are used by the Central Govt.Institution names so I will give the full form of abbreviation names of the Central Government organisations.If you know any you can respond below here...

ISRO - INDIAN SPACE RESEARCH ORGANISATION.
    DRDO-DEFENCE RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT ORGANISATION
    DLRL- DEFENCE ELECTRONICS RESEARCH LABORATORY.
    NIC - NATIONAL INFORMATICS CENTER.
    CGWB- Central Ground Water Board.
    NRSC- NATIONAL REMOTE SENSING CENTER.
    BARC-Bhabha Atomic Research Centre.
    Excellent information. The students of lower classes will be extremely benefitted from the thread. The information would help them in their General Knowledge tests. The candidates of competitive examinations don't expect such easy questions nowadays.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Partha, I do not think this information is beneficial to students of lower classes alone. Not everyone has access to knowledge, not everyone is aware of everything. There is always something to learn. I think I am aware and knowledgeable and intelligent, yet I did not know the existence of NRSC or CGWB, leave alone their full form.

With regards to competitive examinations, one should not be complacent, you can never tell what is asked in such tests.

Thanks Bhushan for sharing this information. I learned something today.

Underestimate me...that'll be fun!

Ms. Juana: No comments except that I regularly follow different competitive examinations (earlier I used to coach young men and women for various competitive examinations). I don't find such questions nowadays.

Mr. Bhushan. ISRO is Indian Space Research Organisation but not CENTER. The following can also be added in the list

BDL : Bharat Dynamics Limited
    HAL: Hindustan Aeronautics Limited,
    DRDL: Defence Research and Development Laboratories.
    UGC: University Grants Commossion
    CSIR: Center for Scientific and Industrial Research
    VSSC: Vikram Sarabhai space center.
    UPSC: Union Public Service Commission

drrao
    always confident

Partha,

Let me put it this way, not many may be coming to ISC to coach for entrance exams. I would think any platform is good for everyone, to learn something new, irrespective of their social status. Also, knowledge should not be assimilated just for answering tests. I owned up to learning something new today, and who knows how this knowledge might help me. I might be able to hold a conversation on the topic. Knowing my curious nature I will check to see the role of these organisations. This thread gave me a lead to improve my knowledge.

You may have had more exposure that keeps you abreast of certain things, and hence you might find the information shared here as unimportant. But, is it not true that all the knowledge you have has been acquired, at some time. It is what we are exposed to that enhances our knowledge; none of us comes to this earth knowing everything. In this respect the piece of information shared in this thread is useful.

Underestimate me...that'll be fun!

59504807 thanks for correcting me. JUANA,Partha thanks for appreciation...
    A blunt knife or rusted knife can't be useful for anything just for the sake we call it as the knife similar to PayTM series or Sachin or Virat records.

I am also posting some abbreviations and their full forms.

(a) BIS: Bureau of Indian Standards
    (b) IAS: Indian Administrative Service
    (c) IFS: Indian Foreign Service
    (d) IFoS: Indian Forest Service
    (e) ISI: Indian Statistical Institute (India), Inter-Services Intelligence (Pakistan)
    (f) MEA: Ministry of External Affairs
    (g) DEA: Department of Economic Affairs
    (h) NATGRID: National Intelligencee Grid
    (i) IB: Intelligence Bureau
    (j) RAW: Research & Analysis Wing
    (k) NTRO: National Technical Research Organisation
    (l)LBSNAA: Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration
    (m): IMA: Indian Military Academy
    (n) OTA: Officers' Training Academy
    (o):BSF: Border Security Force
    (p) NDA: National Defence Academy

......(to be continued)

Every information we get from ISC is important and it enhance our knowledge. This information is also helpful to those who are not aware of full form of these abbreviations. I am currently working in CGWB which is a part of Ministry of Water Resources. At the time of my interview, Unfortunately interviewer asked me full form of CGWB which i did not know at that time and it was very embarrassing.

Yes abbreviations of central government establishments are important and even in competitive exams such things are asked. There are some prestigious institutes in Hyderabad which needs to be understood through abbreviations.
    NALSAR - National Academy of Legal Studies and Research
    HCU - Hyderabad Central University
    NFC- National fuel Complex
    BARC- Baba Atomic Research center
    ECIL - Electronic corporation of India Ltd
    IOE- Institute of Engineers
    IEL -Indian Explosives Ltd
    NMDC- National Mineral Development Corporation.

K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

#59509907 You still got selected in CGWB without knowing the full name of your organisation.What a luck factor involve in Central Government interviews....
    A blunt knife or rusted knife can't be useful for anything just for the sake we call it as the knife similar to PayTM series or Sachin or Virat records.

TRAI : Telecom regulatory authority of India...

There was a time when abbreviations were very important in competitive examinations and GK books were having a separate chapter on them.

Today there are so many things added in GK that things like abbreviations have taken a back stage position. However we can not ignore their importance.

I think this thread has added value and freshen up our current information regarding names of so many central Govt departments.

Knowledge is power.

#595108 @Bhushan;

It may be embarrassing for the interviewee to say that she is not aware of the abbreviation of CGWB while seeking a job in the organisation. But it is not a disqualification and don't say it is sheer luck to get through. There would be some set of questions and an interview is conducted to test the knowledge, personality and confidence levels of an individual. It is always better to admit that not knowing about it, instead of making a false attempt. Such honesty always gets a positive impression and don't generalize your statements about Central Government interviews. Many people say that some unemployed youth are getting jobs without influence only in Central Government agencies, Banking sector and PSUs.

Regards,
    Jagdish

Mr. Patro has brilliantly answered. Nothing further to add in this regard. Let me mention another ten abbreviations and their full forms:

(i) BBC-Brithish Broadcasting Corporation
    (ii) ITC-Indian Tobacco Company
    (iii) ITO-Income Tax Office
    (iv) HZL-Hindustan Zinc Limited
    (v) HCL-Hindustan Copper Limited
    (vi) BSNL-Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited
    (vii) MTNL-Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited
    (viii) ITI-Indian Telephone Industries, Industrial Training Institute
    (ix) SOP-Standard Operating Procedure
    (x) SSC-Staff Selection Commission

(.....to be continued)

595131 There is say in Telugu if the rice is well cooked or not to test if we take one food grain of the cooked food and tell that is properly cooked or not,even it is true when we fry the pappadams whether the oil is boiled or not if we take a piece of that pappadam and put in the oil...... So when you go to an organization for an interview you don't know the basic full form of that then what we need to think...... Secondly some of the fellow mates told that these abbreviations are given in Competitive exams if the abbreviations do not have any value why they are giving in competitive exams... What the Interviewer asked the Question is not irrelevant to the subject ...

Sign In to post your comments