You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Music

Kishori Amonkar, a doyen of Hindustani classical music, left the world

She learnt vocal music from her illustrious mother Mogubai Kurdikar. Mogubai was the torch-bearer of Jaipur gharana during her time. She used to stick to the grammer of music. However, Kishori Amonkar did experimentation and tried to bring the characteristics of other gharanras in her vocal music. Some critics don't like the music of Kishori-ji during this particular reason. But due to her experimentation, Kishori Amonkar became immensely popular to most of the listeners of Hindustani vocal. She brought a sort of romanticism in Hindustani classical music which had been unknown before her arrival.

I was fortunate enough to listen to Kishori Amonkar in Calcutta during my youth. Athough my level of understanding of Hindustani music is next to zero, I was spell-bound by her voice and her rendition. I was simply mesmerised by her on that night in 1988. Later I heard that she used to treat 'raga's as living beings.

Kishori Amonkar has left the world on 4th April. Her golden voice has become silent.

I pray to God for the great departed soul!
    Very sad to learn that famous vocalist of Hindustani Classical music Kishori Amonkar is no more and the carnatic music world is orphaned without her. She was the famous singer of North but never tried a jugal bandhi with any artiste from South.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

She was a musical genius. Indeed, it is big lose to musical world. I have heard a lot about her but could not get a chance to watch her performance. She may never be in front of us physically but her voice will always remind her to the music lovers of Indian classical music.

May her soul rest in peace.

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.