You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Creative Writing

Chilly winter evening in a library

Harsh winter had arrived in Delhi. I left my PG accommodation at around 9.30 a.m., it was almost dark and foggy. I took a bus and reached the library. Very few readers had arrived. Only two library staff were present.

I didn't waste time. Straightaway went to the Reference section and checked. The book was still there. I took out the book, occupied my favourite chair and started reading and taking notes. The book was exciting. Spent almost 4 hours!

At around 2 p.m., I felt hungry and went out. It was still cloudy-no sign of the sun. I went to the food joint and ordered a meal. Finished it in no time and again returned to the library and the book. The later-day Mughal rulers fascinated me. I continued studying and taking notes.

Time flew past! The readers left one by one. It started raining. But I hardly noticed-totally mesmerised by lesser Mughal emperor Farrukhsiyar and his relationship with British East India Company.

In the Reference section, there was only another middle-aged, strongly-built man sitting in another corner near the window. He was wearing an overcoat and his face was almost covered with a hat, which was rather uncommon. I had noticed the man once or twice earlier. He always sat on that particular chair near the window.

Suddenly a loud sound of thunder brought me back from the era of Farrukhsiyar to reality. I found nobody in the big hall except that man. The lights suddenly became very dim. The man got up, went near the window and opened it. He didn't notice my presence. He got out through the big window. And.... He flew away in the rain. Yes, flew away just like a bat!

The lights went off! I fell from the chair, unconscious.
    The author has nicely brought out the day of a book freak in a library with a good narration as to what is happening from morning till evening. In the libraries what I noticed that we wont find the books of our wish and we have to compromise with that available in the stack. Moreover when we were reading a book, suddenly some one comes and also starts peeping into the contents as if we have dragged the book from his hand. This kind of naughty moments do happen in the library and the author can further visualize with his own thoughts and make a article out of this great writing.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Mohan: Your observation is generally correct. But fortunately for me, very few readers are interested in history. So, on that day, I could easily locate the book which I had identified earlier and kept at such a place, where even interested readers wouln't search.

By the way, do you like the story?

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Yes the story was good and it can be converted in to a article format with further more intricacies added that would normally happen in a library hall and that would make further more interesting reading..
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

The narration is very good and interesting. The author made it very good. i appreciate his skills.

Now a days going to library and reading books is becoming very lees. Everybody use their laptop or desktop for searching the required information and read it. Now a days in social media also many story writers are placing their stories. So the habit of visiting library is coming down. I used to go to library regularly for literature survey during my Doctorate work.

drrao
    always confident

Partha, I am sorry to say that your story gone like bullet over my head. May be I have not that much intelligence to understand this. However, your story took me to the movie "Lage Raho Munna Bhai" where the reader fascinated by Gandhi ji and later in the movie we found that it was his imagination because of that he could see Gandhi ji everywhere. In any way you would like to say that same thing in your story? Though, Mughal emperor Farrukhsiyar does not look like the person whom you had seen wearing overcoat but was it him?

If you please answer me, it would be great to understand your story.

Mr. Jeets: The actual fact is that I fell asleep while reading a book on Farrukhshiyar and East India Company in the Central Secretariat Library (CSL). The day was chilly and very few readers were present in the CSL. I started dreaming about another mysterious reader who was present in the library at that time, and then suddenly fell from the chair!

In the story, I have tried to dramatise the incident.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Thank You Partha.

Library days were great one.Now time has changed library has come to our hand in the form of mobile.
    Its mobility Library now.
    During my school time i was away from my home, Our school was at the peak of Garhwal Himalaya so it is really very chiily over there.
    Me and my friend generally used to go to library just to read comic books. We dont had enough money to buy Comic book .
    During those days there was no cable channel and other thing and Tv was banned totally. It was totally on the mercy of principal of the school to give us an opportunity once in a month for movie.
    That time we used to entertain ourself by reading comic only.
    It was really so exciting days. we use to hide comic between the books so that we can read them after eye teasing from subject teacher. It used to be win win situation for us if we could read full comic in class time .
    we had made good friendship with Library teacher so he used to give Comic books us on preference basis and also call upon as as soon as new serial of the same reached.
    Now a days everyone busy with finger work so no need to go outside library.

Sign In to post your comments