You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

Why do we use wrong phrase?

After coming to Delhi, I used to get astonished by almost everything. Although I had known little bit Hindi before coming to this city, words like 'tereko', 'mereko' instead of 'tujhe', 'mujhe' were new and peculiar for me. But now, after spending almost 25 years in this city, I also use 'tereko', 'mereko' freely. (Now I am trying to hum 'ma tereko salaam' instead of 'ma tujhe salaam'!)

Similarly, in English, Delhi-ites generally use 'loose motion' to define 'stomach upset'. Many people say that they do know that the exact phrase should be 'stomach upset', but even then they use 'loose motion'. They say that the particular Delhi phrase appropriately explains the exact situation! Again, the people of Delhi always use 'Red-light' to indicate 'traffic-signal'. I still remember that during my initial days in Delhi, when a friend told me to wait near 'red-light' of Karol Bagh, I was very elated thinking that I would gain some new experience!

Why do we use wrong/inappropriate phrases?
    Mr. Partha,
    It is not a new think to use. I have studied Hindi and learned good Hindi. For e.g. if you want to ask someone "Where are you going?" the correct Hindi is - Aap/Thum kither jaathe Ho? But I have seen many people using "Aap/thum kither jaatha hai? which I feel incorrect Hindi.

No life without Sun

It's due to regional influence I assume. Or the class difference. Delhi being close to places like Lucknow, should have gained a fair share of Urdu speakers. And this Urdu got mixed with Hindi, leading to a weird but funny words.
    You haven't been to Hyderabad I assume. It's common among the Nawab-ruled provinces( I'm referring to the words
    Thereko, mereko). In Mumbai though, words of such likes are attributed to Taporis ( goons).

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Partha, a very interesting thread. Yes, it happens when you stay longer to any particular place, you just become like that and its natural. When I first time came to Mumbai, Often I used to get surprised by some local language. Like, if some one dies people say "Off ho gaya" instead of he has died. Here we call "Mota" as "Zada". The most interesting thing comes when you call some one - "it is by smooching sound"! Initially I used to get shocked as how come one call someone like that. But, I am used to it now and I too do it sometime for fun. If some one goes out of town here we say "Bahar gaon gaya".

So, yes it is interesting to have so many language in different way to use.

Yes Mr. Partha, you are right, we are habitual to use wrong phrases in our daily life. But why, I cant say. Its due to common use of this phrases by the people for a long time.
    @ Dear sun,
    You have responded this thread by an example "Where are you going?"
    its correct meaning is not "Aap/Thum kither jaathe Ho?"
    Its correct Hindi is " Aap kidhar ja rahe ho?" (Since its present continuous Tense)
    The correct English for "Aap/Thum kither jaathe Ho?" is " Where do you go?"

Honesty is the best policy.

Thanks Partha, for making this Friday morning a bit hilarious but yes you are very rightly pointed out that we are using many phrases without giving any care to the original language. These phrases are actually slang from the local people and today they are so much integrated in the English language that there has been a need to categorise it as Indian English. It is something akin to US English and UK English.

These slangs are so common that if you use the original phrase of the English language people will see you with surprise and may consider you a NRI in UK who has come to India on holidays.

Anyway with time even the lexicographers accept them and one day we will find them in dictionaries and text books as the usual phrases and this is how a language gets the vocabulary increasing.

Knowledge is power.

This is not a new thing. I guess... When you put off in certain region, you get accustommed to it and get used to that certain language or lingu.

I used to speak rough local language tune which makes me to speak Nagammesse, Hindi and English in that tune.

Be the Hero of the zero hour!

It is true. The words and phrases will very from place to place. I have traveled all over India. I stayed in Andhra, Rayalaseema and Telangana. I was born and brought up in Andhra. I had my education in Andhra. I started my career in Andhra, moved to Rayalaseema and then settled in Telangana. There is lot of difference in the common language in the three regions. When I first came to Hyderabad for an interview, I felt very hard to understand the language here.
    Rayalaseema area Telugu is having lot of Kannada influence. Telangana Telugu is having lot of Urdu influence.

As we stay long in the same place we will get the influence of that place use the same language.

drrao
    always confident

Mr. Sun: The correct Hindi of "Where are you going?" is : "Aap kahan jaa rahe ho?".
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Yes Delhi Hindi is some what different from Hyderabad Hindi which has the mixture of Urdu too. When I went to Delhi for the first time in 1980, I was sent to the shop to fetch some groceries. In the flow when the shop owner asked other things, I simply said Nakko. He immediately split into laugh and asked whether I am from Deccan. For them Deccan in Hyderabad . But in fact Nakko or Nain or Na is used in Mumbai also. But by saying Nakko they get laughter. And I always enjoy the Rajasthani and Bhojpuri citizens speaking Hindi which has greater additions to the normal saying which we generally wont use.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr Partha and Hakimuddin,
    My Hindi is south Indian Hindi which may not be perfect with Hindi grammar. I agree with you. I do not speak Hindi now. I almost forgot Hindi, yet I remember few good things about Hindi speaking.

No life without Sun

• Sign In to post your comments