You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Make me editor of editors. I want to punish those editors who err.

In the recent past the editors are behaving strangely. They are not implementing the rules same for every one. If a unwanted thread is raised , the editor have the rights to punish the author by deleting or removing the thread itself. But how can they punish the members who are responding for that thread. And all this happens after giving much lead time to the members to respond and then punish. Cant the thread be removed at the posting instance itself. By the way when the member pinpoints the mistake of editor he is punished. What a gesture in ISC. So with this annoying factor, I request webmasters to grant me editorship so that I shall only take action against erring editors actions only.
    You will be a good Editor. You understand the anxiety and issues of ISCians. Webmaster and Managing Editor should set a minimum requirements before they assign an Editor tag to Members. Writing good English or active contibution must not be counted before selecting an Editor. An Editor must be a member who understand others, prompt follow up, and active mentor like you, Mr. Sun, Saji Ganesh, and Joyshree who instantly input answers to queries raised by members of ISCians.

In the recent thread, there are complaints and issued pull out by members and I am siliently passing those threads to see whether our Editors are following up. But, I see that members are only resonding instead of Editors.

By the way, our ME is the Editor of Editors, what postion would you prefer?

Be the Hero of the zero hour!

One hour has passed. The online editors failed to respond. At least I am happy one member has responded. By the way I do not want to disturb ME Vandana. My anger against editors vent that way of demand.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

ISC is a well-disciplined site managed by three Web Masters and one Managing Editor who manages the ISC affairs efficiently. Should we appoint you as E of E (Editor of Editors)? And what would you do if you are the E of E? Just simply narrate the action you would take against the erring ISC editors appointed by ISC. Can you punish them? Can you ban them? Can you reduce their allowance? Can you dismiss them? Come on Mohan. Be specific with your complaint and action.

First you should try and become an Ordinary Editor and then dream for Managing Editor or Chief Editor of ISC. I am dead sure that you won't be able to manage as an Editor. You are a senior member, but can never be a senior Editor.

No life without Sun

Mr. Mohan,
    Be cool. What is the error committed by the Editor? Why can't you provide the details before jumping on all Editors? We got habituated to hear all such things these days and simply keeping our cool because of the healthy atmosphere prevailing in this site quite for a long time which made everyone hooked to it. I wish an experienced member like you should be an Editor.

From the substance of the thread, I understand that a thread was posted by a member which was later deleted by an Editor due to posting violations. In the meantime, some members including you have posted the responses and your response got some negative points. Isn't it? Then how come the Editor becomes errant by doing his job? Being a senior member and also an aspirant of becoming Editor-in-chief, can't you know about the fate of thread and its quality? I don't want to say that you were in a hurry to score the runs for the day but it appears so.

Instead of giving a room to all these assumptions, be specific about your complaint. If you want to become an Editor, you are always welcome and make a request to the WM and let him decide. But this type of appeals would belittle your stature in ISC!

Regards,
    Jagdish

A few facts and observations here:
    1. Giving negative points to responses because the thread it not according to posting guidelines looks unfair to me. If the thread has been there for some time it is unjust to just assume that because the member is a senior one he/she can guess that the thread is going to be deleted.
    2. Giving negative points to responses on threads which are going to be deleted makes no sense. Since the thread is going to be deleted from the ISC database in any case in a few days, the negative marking won't remain in the system.
    3. @Mohan, you can also relax because your points would get recovered sooner or later as mentioned in point 2.
    4. The only difference the temporary drop in points is going to make is probably that the member might lose a little bit of money in monthly revenue share.

I am not talking against points but I talking against injustice. In a thread when others are responding in negative they are tolerated and when I respond and that becomes the cause to close the thread and I have become the target to minus the points and that is ridiculous.
    K Mohan

I am talking about this thread " http://www.indiastudychannel.com/forum/151781-VERY-IMPORTANT-MESSAGE-URGENT-Turn-off-the-phone.aspx" which was allowed to remain in forum in spite of bashing from members and when I pointed out the very reason for that thread which ultimately made the editor to close the thread , was punished with o points. If the thread itself is wrong as a rumor, the editors should have punished all and why the thread was made to appear, remain for a while and then punish ?
    K Mohan

The thread itself was raised by Content Editor. After reading the title, I was tempted to go through the contents. Then, I realise, it was a rumour created to befool people.

@Sir Mohan, I can understand your anxiety. You regularly contribute and follow up all the threads raised by ISCians. It doesn't matter who might respond or may not but rest assured you will always be there to respond because you like to help and make the forum section more productive.

I think we must refrain from submitting our response to that kind of rumours thread.

Be the Hero of the zero hour!

Mr. Mohan: The basic quality of the great people is that they never accept their own faults. They are innovative enough to find excuses to shift blame from themselves.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

That is a great idea.You will be a good Editor. You understand the anxiety and issues of ISCians.
    Management should consider K Mohan sir name.

The greatest wealth in this world is mental peace and good health.

Jagdish,

I agree that members are at times unreasonable with their demands and harsh with their accusations. But you know what, they get penalised, with minus points. You have the power to do that. But what happens when an editor errs? Does the proverb, 'to err is human…' suffice.

Take this thread as an example - a question raised by a member was dealt with sarcasm and disparagement. Is it too much to expect a decent response to a legitimate query? Let's face it the editor concerned didn't know what was happening in his own backyard. Had a similar response come from a member there would have been a price to pay.

The regret that followed was not even an apology, it was a string of derisive statements. And I got penalised for pointing that out. No action was taken against the erring editor who failed in his duty, as the keeper of the Forum. What does it say?

Someone thought it apt to give me minus points for my comment (and I don't disagree with them) but I have a problem when they don't consider the same treatment for the comments of the editor? They were quick to act against a wrong comment, but what about my correct responses - I at least got something right. Why no credit for that?

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Mr Mohan, with reference to the thread in question, you had posted two responses. The first one was giving your opinion on the point that was raised in the thread for which you got four points (which was not reduced). The second one was posted by you to ridicule the editors and asking whether there was a change in the rules for which your 2 points was reduced to zero. Was there any need to post two contradictory responses to the same thread? If you want, I can explain further in detail. The points to the thread in question was also subsequently reduced and was locked.

I don't think it would be fair to expect editors to keep logged into ISC all twenty-four hours and it is also likely that we might miss out on some threads. And, in that event, would it be okay for a senior member like you to point out the mistake in the thread at the first instance itself instead of responding first and dragging in the editors at a later stage. We do try to take action at the first instance itself as and when it comes to our notice.

It may kindly be noted that I chose to respond here in addition to the response by Jagdish because I had done the editing of the particular thread as soon as I came online.

'Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance'- Confucius

In response to message posted in #595794

Oops! Aren't we being very selective about defining ridicule? I see members being ridiculed all the time. I can quote hundreds of instances where members have been at the receiving end of worse. Play by the rules, please. We too have feelings that get hurt by scornful messages directed at us. There is also a difference in making generic statements and targeting individual members.

As I said in my previous response, you have the authority to vent your displeasure by giving minus points, and you do the same as soon as you come online. Please give some thought, instead of acting in haste. Maybe, that will help resolve matters better. Actions against anything must always be taken after due deliberation, with a cool mind - never in haste. Any negative action in haste is always a result of anger.

Cutting someone off because you disagree doesn't seem like the right approach. Why not have room for dialogue? Would that not improve the health of the forum and the relationship between members and you?

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Juana at #595795, the zero point to the second response by Mohan in the thread in question was not for ridiculing editors but for posting an unnecessary response after having scored four points from another response to the point in the thread. I have conveyed my point and have nothing further to say.

Saji,

I quote two statements attributed to you -

1. "The second one was posted by you to ridicule the editors and asking whether there was a change in the rules for which your 2 points was reduced to zero. "

2. "...the zero point to the second response by Mohan in the thread in question was not for ridiculing editors but for posting an unnecessary response after having scored four points from another response to the point in the thread."

Two contradictory statements. Which one is true? As I said, haste makes waste.

Mr. Mohan: I have noted that some Forum Editors assiduously follow the policy of 'divide & rule' in Forum section. Different criterion for evaluation is being applied for a long time. As a result, the Forum section is losing its colour. It has now become a dull section, thanks to hyper-active policy of some of the Editors.

#595797, I can't help it if you prefer to pick and choose words as per your convenience. I have explained the position in sufficient detail and do not want to say anything more in this thread.

Saji,

What if the response was in support of editors would it have been dealt with in the same manner? Would it still have been seen as a point garnering tactic? Why bring in how many points a member scored in a response - does it not suggest that the member did so to earn points? This is insulting - it is hitting below the belt?

Members,
    The discussion should be whether Mr. Mohan should become 'Editor of Editors' or remain as a Platinum member scoring his points, and whether he can punish the editors or not? If yes, how will he punish the editor? No editor of ISC has undergone any punishment till date. All editors form together and support the erring editor. If Mohan becomes an editor, he would also join the editors group, and forget that he was a member once.

If Mohan's intention is to punish the erring editors who are the backbone and pillars of ISC, he will never be made an Editor.

No life without Sun

Mr. Sun (#595818) is correct. An Editor can't punish another Editor. If Mr. Mohan wants to punish an erring Editor, he will have to do it as a Member. His stature as a very senior and very active Member would definitely help him in his endeavour.

I am dealing only with the main issue of this thread & not with other points raised about other threads as those are side tracks.

K Mohan,

As Jagdish pointed out, all you had to do was to give the URL of the contentious thread in question and ask about why your response got reduced points. I would like to clarify for you a few things:
    1. The thread was not removed simply because responses had already come in by the time one of the forum editors saw it. As we have repeatedly said, editors are not online 24x7.

2. The text of your second response in that thread could have been put in your first response itself. It does look out of place and irrelevant as a second response.

3. As of now I am happy to report that the admin continues to repose their trust in me to hold the baton of 'Editor of Editors' (I think I should request the Webmasters to change my label, as this title sounds pretty impressive as opposed to simply 'Managing Editor!) Those who wish to become editors / Editor of Editors are welcome to apply as and when such vacancies do come up on the team and the admin invites applications .

I would like to end this discussion here please.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

Mohan,

Our automated system automatically gives 0 points to the second response if an author posts 2 continuous responses in any thread. No editor was involved in that.

regards,
    Tony John
    Webmaster - IndiaStudyChannel.com

Just testing the points earned by my second response..
    regards,
    Tony John

Tony great to see your response. But my issue was not with 0 points for which I am habituated. But why threads of no importance are made to be in limelight and when we response with our own views and intentions, we are also punished.
    K Mohan

I think I was wrong in my observation regarding your points. But what is the "Punishment" you are talking about?
    regards,
    Tony John

This is to my post #151781
    I don't want to hurt anybody or to fool anyone. It was just a matter of concern for the ISC family members that I posted the forwarded message. Soon after I clicked the submit button I realized the mistake and posted a sorry note immediately. I wanted to delete the post, but didn't know how to go about it.

Once again my humble 'Sorry for the Post' .

'When I read the message, my instant thought was that the sender had concern for me and my family" I don't want to attack and blame the person for forwarding the message to me. We can ignore it.

I think we can work with positive outlook to make learning and sharing experiences a happy one on ISC platform.

regards
    jenny

Jenny - Thank you for the response you put in here.

K Mohan - We are waiting for your answer to Tony Sir's query in response #595841.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

Tony my view is clear. When threads remain unattended even by editors, some times we may respond with our available knowledge and then the editors get their duty reminded to stoop on us to either delete or give less points. That should not happen.
    K Mohan

Mr.Mohan,
    If this #595980 was your clear view, kindly amend the title suitably. You roared like a lion with your thread title and mewed like a cat after seeing the Web Masters question. A Funny thread.

No life without Sun

Mohan sir is rightly said about the editors. Each and every editor has responsible to guide each ordinary new member when they do mistakes. I post request thread before few days on forum but still not any one of the editor responsed to my thread. Its true that editors cannot respond to each thread so I request to editors to give responsed to thread and guiding the member.

One thing you said is wrong of punishing the members when members do mistakes. What type of punishment you are talking about. There is no need to be punished. Editors of ISC are guider, descision maker not a punisher. They are responsible to guide the each ordinary member.

• Sign In to post your comments