You must Sign In to post a response.
Show appreciation for a fellow member's contributions through your nomination for a special badge after reading the instructions in this thread.
  • Category: Announcements

Invitation to nominate members for badges (nominations close on 25th May).

Members, please refer to this thread on Improvement to Badges in ISC by Tony sir and the subsequent responses of members therein.

Though we have been nominating members and announcing badges on and off, we have now decided to announce an open invitation to our members to put in their nominations. The same can be done by using the 'nominate for badge' feature that can be accessed by visiting the profile of the particular member you choose. Keeping in view the suggestions in the thread under reference and the internal discussion we had with the admin, it has been decided to do away with self-nomination.

The activities and contributions of members from January '17 only need to be considered while considering the nominations.

Please note that the nominations by members will not be visible to the general members other than editors until the same is approved by the WMs.

While nominating, please make it a point to provide a valid explanation in a few lines as to why you have nominated a member for a particular badge; it should not just be something like 'he is a proficient writer' or 'that he is an active contributor'. It must be able to touch upon the points that made you nominate him for the badge.

A panel consisting of select editors and the Webmasters will review the nominations and finalize the list of members who are eligible for a badge. The decision of the admin will be final and no discussions on the same will be entertained.

The badges will not be permanent in nature as each badge has a validity period.

The category of badges for which the nominations can be made are:
    1) Creative
    2) Debater
    3) Doctor
    4) Guide
    5) Proficient Writer
    6) Talented Writer
    7) Super Contributor
    8) Sportsman

In this connection, it is clarified that the badges are only a recognition of the contributions by a member to ISC during a particular period and does not in any way reflect or certify one's academic knowledge or proficiency in a field.

It is not required that you put up nominations for all categories.

The limits on nominating as per membership level is:
    Bronze Members - 0 nomination
    Silver Members - 1 nomination per year
    Gold Members - 5 nominations per year
    Diamond Members - 10 nominations per year
    Platinum Members - 25 nominations per year
    Editors - No Limit

You can post a response herein that you have submitted a nomination but please ensure that you don't make public the name of the member you have nominated.

The nominations will be accepted till 30th of this month and the awardees will receive their badges after due assessment and scrutiny. (Please refer to response at #597115 for update regarding last date).

All members including editors are invited to participate.

Update on 7th May: nominations will close on 7th May for this open invitation (members are allowed to nominate at any time during the year too.)
    Editor Saji,
    While I appreciate your thread inviting nomination for badges, I do not understand the following sentence - "The badges will not be permanent in nature and will mature after a specific period". What is the meaning of mature after a specific period? Anything that gets mature has its own value and it could be double the value. I think the word mature need be altered to read as 'invalid'

@ Badges once awarded should remain permanent forever. ISC has no financial burden if members hold their badges permanently. It is a decoration to feel proud. Badges should never retire or expire.

No life without Sun ¤

Sun,

The Webmasters have put a maturity date on each badge. We have discussed this before, that no badge will remain permanent because that is how the Webmasters have incorporated it & previous suggestions of members of allowing some badges to be permanent were not taken up by them. The badge will automatically get removed from the member's profile page once the maturity date is crossed. We just have to accept the decision so please don't start that discussion all over again here. Just nominate members if you wish to.

Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

What I feel that members should not be involved in nomination process and there cannot be right choice and every member has allegiance to some one or the other and the nomination process may not be fair. Editors are the best judge to see who can be eligible for what badge and their decision would be final and abiding to all.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Madam,
    I am much worried about the badge getting matured, and its maturity date. Maturity is for good. Here, the maturity is to lose the badge without any profit or gain. Say that the validity period of the badge will expire after a specific period. The word 'maturity' used by editor Saji and supported by you is inappropriate.

No life without Sun ¤

The Member Rank should judge the valitidy of the ISC Badge nominated by ISCians and Editors. This make no partiality. Suppose, if a member keeps contributing in Resource section, that member might deserve a Proficient Writer badge or whatsoever badge. Contrary, when he gradually become inactive and his Member rank hit 300 or the max rank points for inactive members, his/ her badge might get removed by system itself.

The validity seems unfair.

Be the Hero of the zero hour!

Before I start forwarding my nominations, I request following clarifications:-

(a) Can I send more than one nominations under a single category?
    (b) Can I nominate Editor(s)?
    (c) How and where can I put forward my explanation for nomination?

I want to state that these are genuine issues and these questions are not asked to create any controversy.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

K Mohan - the idea is to involve the members themselves in the nomination process.

Partha - Yes, you can nominate more than one member in the same category and editors can also be nominated. When you click on 'Nominate for badge' (the link at the bottom of a member's profile page), then you will be taken to the page where you select the badge from the drop-down list & then in the 'Comments' Box you can put in your input as to why you are nominating the member.

I repeat to other members - we will not discuss the validity feature again & again.

Vandana,
    It is not to discuss about the validity feature. It is to tell you about the Maturity VS Validity. Kindly avoid using the term ' Maturity of badges ' which should be' Validity of the badges'.'

@ ISC should teach good English. especially by the Editors.

No life without Sun ¤

Sun,

It is not necessary to derail this thread and start a discussion on correctness of vocabulary. If you wish, you could discuss the usage of the words maturity and validity in the appropriate category in a separate thread of the forum.

Update - I am consulting English experts on usage of the word maturity vs validity. Do not put needless responses in this thread.

No life without Sun ¤

No life without Sun ¤

The necessary correction has been made in the text of the thread. Henceforth, when such announcements are made, it is advisable to send a message to a forum editor in case you feel English in the text is incorrect. The forum editor will then bring it to the notice of the person who announced. The main core of the thread should not be side-tracked.

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

Why are no nominations coming in? Members, please do make some effort to acknowledge the good work of your fellow-members.

I am going to send my nominations very soon, may be by today evening.

I have started sending my nominations, but there are some problems. Whenever I submit a nomination, the website gets closed. I would like to know whether my nominations are being received or not. So far, I have nominated two Members for two different badges.

Madam Vandana,
    Would highly appreciate if you can help the members by posting the current list of badge holders (Members already holding badges and listed in their profile pages) to avoid repetition of recommendation for the badges.

As of now, are there members holding any badges? If yes, kindly name the members and the badges they hold.

No life without Sun ¤

Partha - are you still facing this problem?

Sun - All you need to do is to check if there is a badge at the profile page of a member. After all, in order to nominate, you have to visit the member's profile page. If a badge is there, then you can avoid nominating for that same badge. Also, note that due to the validity period of all badges, most of the badges are in any case no longer appearing at the profile pages of the members who had received them earlier. Hence, they can be once again be recipients of the badges.

My problem still continues. Till now, I have sent three nominations for three badges. I would like to know whether these are received or not.

Partha,

Yes, we have received three nominations from you so far, on 20th, 22nd and 23rd.

I am facing problem while naminate. When I nominate a member, the page redirected me to login page. I have tried 4-5 times. Please resolve the problem .
    Honesty is the best policy.

Madam,
    I have nominated an excellent member for the award of a suitable badge. I too face the same problem of returning to the login page. Did you receive my nomination by default? Please confirm.

No life without Sun ¤

Actually I am very much confused with nominating members for badges. What is the exact procedure and what are the benefits by doing so. Please anybody explain in detail.

I have so far sent six nominations in six categories. I hope all the nominations have been received. Kindly confirm.

Madam Vandana,
    So far, I have recommended two members for the badges. Kindly confirm receipt. I have been taken back to log in page after clicking the 'Save' button.

No life without Sun ¤

while pressing save button login window appears. I have tried to send 3-4 nomination whether it is received or not , Please check and shoot the trouble.
    The greatest wealth in this world is mental peace and good health.

Members,
    All your nominations have come in as stated in your responses above.

However: Sun - you are doing something wrong. Though in the Remarks box you have clearly stated the name of the member & the reason for the nomination, under the 'recipient' heading, your own name is appearing for all the nominations!

Gsadhiks at #596657, go to the profile of the member of your choice and nominate for the badge which you think is appropriate. Please do not forget to enter your reasons/ opinion for the selection in the comment box.
    Regarding benefits, nothing monetary or otherwise; it is a way of recognizing each other and also indicates the way you are associated with this site and its members. A badge won by a member on the basis of suggestion from fellow members will surely be a matter of pride and satisfaction. Who knows, your nomination today may prove to be a winning point in your contribution to the ISC family tomorrow!

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance- George Bernard Shaw.

Madam,
    That was a mistake on my part. However, after realizing it, I have resubmitted my recommendation against the members name. Please find it and acknowledge it.

No life without Sun ¤

Everyone - we have time & again requested members to read the text of any thread in its entirety. The text of this thread clearly states "Keeping in view the suggestions in the thread under reference and the internal discussion we had with the admin, it has been decided to do away with self-nomination." Then why are we receiving self-nominations?

Please do not nominate yourself.

Can anybody answer me as why Editors have no "limit" for nomination? Why such "big" differences between members and editor? What they want to prove? These are simple question not to offend the editor so please answer me with your peaceful mind. If Bronze get none and silver get 1 and so on go on and if we calculate it would be 40 maximum for the editor. OK, let them be 50 but why no limit? There has to be limit for anything and editors are not above than any rule. In everything they have to get maximum why so?

By the way, Iam getting log out after I nominated to one of our fellow member. The window comes to show me as I need to login while I am already online. Please correct it as early as possible.

I have tried once again, but the same thing has come up. How would I know if My nomination has been accepted or not?

Mr. Jeets: All of us have been facing same problem.

I have submitted seven nominations in seven categories. I am not going to nominate any other Member. Kindly confirm receipt of seven nominations from me.

Thank you Partha, I too will not be going to nominate further when we don't get any confirmation for it then no use.

I have informed the Webmasters of the problem. I tried too myself & though my earlier few ones got listed, the new ones did not. It would be good to see some message on the screen, like "Your nomination has been received".

I suggest that you all can keep on hold further nominations till the Webmasters resolve the problem & it is confirmed by me/them here.

Partha - I confirmed your earlier six nominations had been received. Those are still in place. Your 7th nomination has not got listed though.

Sun - only one nomination of yours is valid.

Jeets - your nominations did not get listed. Regarding the unlimited nominations for Editors - will ask Tony Sir to answer that query since the Webmasters have put it in place.

Now I have the satisfaction that I could nominate at least one member for the award of badges. I do not know the luckiest member who has been accepted by ISC from Sun. There won't be any further nomination from my end. My nomination ends here. Sun has put his pen down.
    No life without Sun ¤

I have re-sent my seventh nomination. I hope this would reach safely on the online table of online judges of ISC.

I have a doubt about the privacy and secrecy of the nomination. Please clarify.
    To nominate we go to the member's profile page nominate. Will that not reflect in the visitors list of that member. If so can't one know or at least guess who al has nominated him/her?

To test this I visited the profile page of a few members today. I see my foot print in the visitors list.

So please review the matter to convince about the privacy and secrecy for an unbiased nomination.

Mr. Venkiteswaran: You are 100% correct. Complete confidentiality can't be ensured. So, to create sufficient confusion, we must visit at least 10 Members' profiles and nominate 3-5 of them.

Jeets,

Have you seen ambulances not stopping in red lights and sometimes going in the wrong side of the road? The ambulance drivers are trained and authorised to go beyond normal speed limits and are given some exceptions on the traffic rules since they are on a responsible job with certain duties. They are marked as "Ambulance" just so that others will know why they are breaking the rules.

At the same time, another driver like me or you are not allowed to pass the red lights and go beyond normal speed limits even if we are on a more important mission or in a hurry to save lives.

Similarly, editors are authorised to perform certain duties and are authorised to use certain privileges since that is important for them to perform their duties. There may be other members who can do such tasks in a better way but since they are not labelled as "editors", they won't be able to use the same privileges just like a normal car cannot use the privileges of an ambulance even if the car driver can do a better job than an ambulance driver.

regards,
    Tony John
    Webmaster - IndiaStudyChannel.com

Nice way to make me understand Tony sir, Thank you for that. However, I hope the ambulance which you are talking about does have the proper break if not then they may injured someone else unnecessary or may break your signal too to go away. However, you too have noted and seen that ambulance comes forward only when the "normal" people provide the space and "allowed" them to go ahead. if the normal people don't help ambulance they may never go forward. A real ambulance driver know this fact and I hope that your ambulance driver too have this important fact noted in their mind.

Mr. Tony John.
    I disagree with your comparison of Editors service with Ambulance service. Ambulance take the risk of over speeding and traffic breaking to save the life of someone. Does Editors deal with any emergency situation. In difficult situation, they pass the ball to the WM's court. Ambulance is purely and surely for emergency. What is the emergency related situation for the Editors? Editors being members, as ISC says, they should be considered for special allowance only, not a blanket allowance. Jeets is correct and I fully support him. The word AMBULANCE is written in reverse as ECNALUBMA in the front to be visible as AMBULANCE when the driver of the vehicle in the front notices an Ambulance in his rear view mirror. Should we write EDITOR as ROTIDE (for fun)?

No life without Sun ¤

Note: Friends, since there appears to be some technical glitch which is preventing the proper registration of nominations, it has been decided to keep this thread open for a few more days. The final date will be announced after the problem has been fixed.
    Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance- George Bernard Shaw.

Thanks,
    I am also not able to nominate members for badges.

Honesty is the best policy.

Members,
    The technical issue has been resolved. I am confirming that the nominations made as mentioned in this thread have been received.

I repeat: please do not submit self nominations.

We have also informed the Webmasters too of the issue of the visitors' tab perhaps creating a problem of secrecy. As of now that tab will remain.

We request members to put in nominations till 25th May. After that the badges will be issued from time to time. Note that even if a member is not nominated for a badge by anybody, badges can be issued by the editors appointed to do so, after duly checking the member's contributions.

I have already finished my nominations. I have sent seven nominations. Receipt of first six has been confirmed. What about the seventh? I have no more nomination to send.

Partha,

In a previous response, I did mention that nominations as mentioned were received. So it means all your seven nominations were received.

Madam: Most respectfully I am to state that six nominations were received and seventh nomination was not received. So, I sent it again. The preivious responses are still there.

Hiiiii everyone...Im MANSOORBHAI,im new user of INDIASTUDYCHANNEL (ISC). I read all the above discussion just now. after that I have some questions/doubts,I hope you'll be clarify that. I told you that I am a new member,i don't know anything about NOMINATION FOR BADGES.can I nominate my own profile? How can I nominate myself? Where did I found this process.how to know the information about NOMINATION process. I hope you'll understand problems...

Still waiting for your positive response...
    Thank-you, Have a great day...

Mohammad Mansoor,

1. You cannot nominate yourself.
    2. Nomination is done through a member's profile page. Over there, just scroll right down and you will see the badge nomination link.

I would like to advise you: Please do not write any words (not even your own name) in all capital letters. In the world of Internet communication, this is equivalent to shouting verbally & is considered rude. Also, avoid needless repetition of letters like 'i' in your opening salutation. In fact, that salutation is not really required.

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.