Discussion on whether Indian Railway should be privatized.
We have been hearing about privatization of India Railway for quite sometime now and some of the related facilities have already been privatized. Let us consider the pros and cons of privatization and discuss whether the government should privatize the railway in India. Join in with your opinion and suggestions.
Points that support privatization:-
1. Dirty stations, reckless behavior of railway employees, insecurity around stations, food poisoning, sanitation problem, pick-pocketing, inconvenience to passengers.
2. Late arrival and departure, lack of sufficient trains, ticket-less travelling etc. that causes loss.
3. Poor technology, poor maintenance of tracks, outdated signalling systems and accidents.
4. Bullet trains are available in many countries but department of railways has failed to take measures to implement the facility here.
5. Private players with their money and technological expertise can bring revolutionary changes.
Points against privatization:-
1. Railway is the life line of India. It is the back bone of our public transport system. It is the pride of India.
2. It is running inside India like veins in human body linking north to south, east to west and each states and districts in India.
3. Railways is an enterprise with social face and welfare. It provides special facilities for the old, handicapped, military freedom fighters etc.
4. It is the savior of India. It helps us in tsunami, earthquake, wars and during other disaster management exercises of the government.
5. Indian railways is making stupendous progress, profit under government. So it should be continued.
What is your opinion? Should Indian Railway be privatized? If so why, and if not why?