Dr. Amita Maurya
At an average, brushing for one or two minutes (60 seconds to 100 seconds) is quite sufficient to maintain our teeth in perfect state.
No life without Sun ¤
'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
Even this challenging situation would ease
In my opinion it is good to brush our teeth daily but how many times in a day it should be decided on what kinds of food habbit you are addicted too.
Few months i visited to dentist, he firstly checked thoroughly and immediately asked me how many times you brush your teeth daily.
On listening my answer he advised me stop brushing many time you can stick to one time only and use soft brush only beside this he also told me the various technique of good brushing.
I started following him now i brush once early in the morning ,but after every meal i go for proper rinse with fresh water.
So matter is that if you keep brushing your teeth more and more than it will start decaying soon.
Honesty is the best policy.
"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino
Though this thread is on the topic of brushing, here are some more suggestions for general good oral hygiene, including ones already mentioned:
1. Remember to change your toothbrush every three months at least because the bristles tend to wear out.
2. Buy a tongue cleaner from the chemist shop and clean the tongue too once daily.
3. Don't just swirl water in your mouth once & spit it out. Rinse your mouth thoroughly 2-3 times after anything you eat.
4. Those with sensitive teeth can use the special toothpaste available for sensitive teeth, but confirm with the Dentist how long you are supposed to use it. Toothbrushes for sensitive teeth with extra soft bristles are also available.
5. Gentle massaging of gums with the Dentist-recommended gel/paste/liquid is extremely useful for those with bleeding gums.
6. It is a must to have a dental check up at least twice a year to ensure that there are no oral infections or other dental problems and get tartar removed. If you suddenly find you cannot tolerate hot and spicy food or discover large white patches on the cheeks or tongue, then visit the Dentist and find out the correct cause - do not panic and think it is cancer. It may not be that at all.
7. Smokers and those eating betel nut, chewing any form of tobacco, etc must do regular check-ups to detect early signs of oral cancer (the pre-cancerous stage), so that an early diagnosis can help in prevention of full blown oral cancer with proper treatment. Do give up such bad habits right away to maintain good oral health.
Also, remember: do not get fooled by marketing strategies of various brands. Oral hygiene is not determined by the brand but by the regular schedule and techniques of brushing and flossing.
Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.