You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

If you get a chance to add and remove a subject from education System, what subject would that be?

We all know how education system works in India. We have multiple boards of education following different curriculum in India. By default, all the school going students from primary to higher secondary classes are given education in subjects such as Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology, Computer Science, History, Civics, Geography and Economics. In addition to the academic subjects, the school also provides knowledge in languages such as English, Hindi or any regional languages. All the subjects have its own importance, but have you considered any subject as a less significant subject in the Indian Education system?

If you ever get a chance to remove a subject from Indian education system and add a new subject, what subject would that be? Why?

Mention the name of one subject which you would like to remove and the name of one new subject which you would like to add to the Indian education system.

Share your interesting opinions.
    At School level basic knowledge of all the above subjects is necessary for student. After this level a student will select a set of subjects of his own interest. When it comes to the question which one subject can be removed is the local language subject. A student may choose one local language either Hindi or his/her regional language. In State Boards only the system of both Hindi and local language are there. But in ICSE and CBSE a student can choose either Hindi or a regional language subject.

If I were asked to spell out the preference to add one more compulsory subject which must be sure and definite for all classes from 1 to 12th classes, it should be moral science. Because the children are not taught about the importance of cleanliness , how to keep their surroundings neat and green and also how to behave with elders and give respect to them. As regards to removing one subject of my choice, it should be history. Because what is the use of studying those dates and events which was gone by and never had the significance to the present society nor the people.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Every subject is essential, at the school level. As the basics that we learn through these subjects form a foundation and enhance our knowledge base.

Mohan has singled out history as a subject he does not want to see in schools. I beg to differ from his viewpoint. History is what defines us, as a people, as a society. It is history that tells the story of our past. It is history that keeps alive the journey of the human race.

There is a lot to learn from history. We learn about power control. We learn about strengths and weaknesses. We learn about strategies. We learn about governance. We learn about religion. We learn about cultures. We learn about trade patterns. I can go on.

If we look at the example of Hitler, it is a great lesson for the human race to foresee similar trends in other leaders. It about joining the dots and avoiding a catastrophe from occurring.

Underestimate me...that'll be fun!

All the subjects what they are teaching in school are necessary only. It gives us some basics of all the subjects. Once you go to college you have a choice of subjects and you can choose the subjects as you like.

3 language formula is very good. If we select only 2 languages our ease of taking in various languages will improve. If we go other places it will become very difficult to manage with only two languages.

As far as history is concerned, except for remembering years and names, the subject is very interesting and useful also. People will understand more about our earlier methods and practices. Ethics, way of life, how to behave and what are the good practices will be understood properly. So I feel we can't rule out history at least in high school level.

drrao
    always confident

All subjects are important to learn. A student might delete many subjects that are not for him, but an educational institution cannot delete any subject from its syllabus. However, I would recommend to include Sanskrit as a compulsory subject throughout India. And after few decades, Sanskrit should be declared as the official language of India.
    No life without Sun ¤

It will be Maths, for sure. The notion of having compulsary subjects while choosing a stream must be discontinued.
    We need more flexible courses and curriculum.

Whatever may be the point of debate, but all all know that not all who opt for Biology make a career in Biology and not all who choose for Maths make career in complex math oriented field. In most scenarios, the minimal calculations that are actually sensitive are taken care of by computers.

I am not opposing Mathematics. I know for sure that it is what has taken us to the Space. I am just willing to say that there must be a mediator between the Arts Stream and Science stream and Commerce stream. Students are different nature and potential. We cannot just limit them in three divisions from which they feel restricted to switch to other stream in the latter part of their education. Therefore, more practical courses must be developed.

Our education system need flexibility. If it is already there, then we need more.

Also, a compulsary subject, if has to be included, it must be for the survival and well being. Generally, the students from poor families who wish to get a part time job after 10th or after 12th - are clueless about exactly where to begin.

Apart from being educated, we all know that we are also studying to become able and earn something. Therefore, a subject which gives such kind of insights and knowledge should be added from 9th standard and onwards. India and Indians need it.

I have not been outside India, but I have known about many countries where students also do part time jobs - which is not child labor - to make some pocket money or to support their families. Indians students remain clueless about what to do and how to earn as they complete their 10th and 12th.

Therefore, something must be changed in our Education system itself that should make them open to the challenging world and able enough to be financially independent upto some extent. That would also make for their personality development when they will learn and apply that understanding practically.

From the subject to maths to the inclusion of an awesome new subject, all I intend to say is that we need a complete make over and a whole new level of flexibility in our education system to make better students.

Regards,
    Ank Arya

"Your value does not decrease based on someone's inability to see your worth"

Juana I really appreciate your rejoinder to my response and in this regard what I feel that in primary school level teaching history wont get interest in the students. The war between kings. the annexe of one Kingdom by other, the ruin of one dynasty and the bloodshed wars are all only available in history. A child of primary school needs some thing fantastic to his understandable level.. No doubt each student should know the contributions of every King and his actions, but most of the lessons teach violence and dynasty rule to which not every student would be interested and progress.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Mohan: Deleting history means deleting your past. Can you delete your forefathers from your life? History is exactly the same for a nation. A country without history can't be great. A country which deletes its past can't be great (example: Pakistan). Why do you want to delete our great past from our life?
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Sign In to post your comments