You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

You heard about Vasco-da-Gama: Have you heard about Rani Abbakka Chowta?

It was 1555. The Portuguese colonial power was flexing its muscles. They defeated Zamorin of Calicut – they defeated Sultan of Bijapur, they annexed Daman from the Sultan of Gujarat, captured Bombay and made Goa their headquarters. They destroyed ancient Kapaleeshwar Temple and built a church over it. Now, they were targetting the profitable port of Mangalore. But the only resistance was at Ullal: 14 km south of Mangalore. The small settlement of Ullal was being ruled by a 30 year old woman named Abbakka Chowta.

The Portuguese sent few boats and handful of soldiers to win Ullal. But the boats never came back. The next time they sent a huge fleet under the celebrated Admiral Dom-Alvero-da-Silveira. But astonishingly, the celebrated Admiral returned badly injured. Another Portuguese fleet was sent. This time also, very few managed to come back. Ultimately, Portuguese captured Mangalore port avoiding Ullal, taking a round-about way.

From the Mangalore port, they sent a huge army under General Joao Peixoto to destroy Ullal. Portuguese Army reached Ullal, but found it deserted. Rani Abbakka was not there. The army started moving relaxed. Suddenly Rani Abbakka attacked Portuguese soldiers with 200 of her soldiers. General Joao Peixoto was assassinated, seventy Portuguese soldiers were captured and the rest fled to Mangalore. But the Rani did not stop. She followed them and attacked Mangalore the same night. She entered the fort and killed Admiral Mascarenhas, the Portuguese Chief of Mangalore. Not only that, she immediately attacked Portuguese settlement at Kundapara, located hundred kilometer north of Mangalore.

Ultimately, Portuguese managed to capture Rani Abbakka by getting help from her estranged husband. She was killed while trying to escape from Portugese prison.

Thanks to our distorted history books, we read about Vasco-da-Gama and the Portuguese rulers who subjugated people of Konkan coast after terrible and unspeakable torture. But our history books are totally silent about the Great Rani, Abbakka Chowta, who taught Portugese a lesson on warfare.
    Amazing! I am history lover and try to get as much information from anywhere. Yes, I too have heard about Vasco-da-Gama but never heard of Rani Abbakka. Indeed, the way you narrated the story, I got reminded of our another queen of Jhansi. How can our history book has no information about her? I am sure, we have many such important people who just could not get his.her name in our history book. At least we should find such name and bring it to open to the world.

Thanks for your information which is so much valuable to Indian History.

Mr. Jeets: Thanks for reading some forgotten pages of Indian History. It is a shame that our children read distorted history. We read about our subjugation, but not about our victory.

In this connection, I would request to read my thread on Raja Suhal Dev Passi, which I wrote during last week of March, 2017.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Mr.Partha, today a learned a new point of history. I heard and read about Vasco- da- Gama. But I never know the name of Rani Abbakka. It is for the first time I am hearing this name from you. Thank you for educating me. Again the story reveals we have lost because of our people only. The estranged husband is responsible for her death. So we should understand how dangerous are our internal enemies.
    drrao
    always confident

I really thank Mr Partha for refreshing my past history. I had actually forgotten but reading your forum, recollected it again.

Yes, Dr. Rao: Since the time of Alexander, we were defeated because of our internal enemies. We must remember this even now.

There are so many unsung heroes and heroins in Indian history, about whom we might not be knowing as national figures but are aware as being particular to a region. Expecting an academic syllabus to cover each and every event would be asking for too much. When you, may be due to your interests and priorities , say that we have been exposed to distorted history; let us not forget the stand by noted historians that history is being distorted today to suit the interests of an ideology that is being attempted to be implanted, for whatever reasons. Let us also keep a note of the fact that there have been attempts to replace the Mahatma with Sardar Patel (which of course failed to materialize), all again a part of history!
    'Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance'- Confucius

If we can name the most important railway station of Goa after a Portuguese hooligun named Vasco da Gama, when we can read about this barbarian as a great explorer in the History books in every region of India, surely there can be a small mention about Rani Abbakka Chauta or Raja Suhal Dev Passi in our History books.

Of course, this is the opinion of an uneducated 'mango-man' of India. The opinion of educated liberals would surely be different.

An educative and informative thread from our great member Partha. I never knew about the warrior earlier. Now the name is in my mind. I shall tell the story to my grand children about Rani Abbakka Chowta.
    No life without Sun

Sincere thanks, Mr. Sun. Please tell your grand-children about this great country, about its great people. They must be proud of our culture, our heritage.

#596674: So far as those so-called 'noted historians' are concerned, slowly but surely they are losing credibility with each passing day and with new, impartial research.

So far as Mohandas Gandhi and his main 'disciple' are concerned, objective analysis is very much necessary, especially about their activities during 1938 to 1948. We, the 'mango-people' must know how these two men, because of their ego and hunger for power, caused destruction and mayhem all over North India.

From this post I came to know the attacking character of Rani Abbakka Chowta who seems to had the qualities of Rani Jhansi Lakshmi Bai. From the mentions it is clear that being women she could attack the ever growing Portuguese in those days and the guts has to be appreciated. One more thing we come to know through this great revelation from history that our own men are responsible to the end of energetic and performing warriors like Chowta, In fact government of India must have gallantry award instituted in the name of Abbakka Chowta so that women who dare in the lives can be awarded and respected.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Mohan: As far as I know, Government of India has named a Coast Guard ship (inshore patrol vessel) after Rani Abbakka in 2012. There is not a single statue of this great warrior anywhere in the country.

#596654, Partha, Sure I will read that thread too. More importantly we should all share such people name from our history book time to time so that we can know about them. I am sure every state have their own legend who has sacrifice their life for our country but we do not know. ISCian should bring out such heroes from history book to this from section, it help a lot to know about our own history which is hidden from us.

I am also joining the members who have thanked Kansabanik for such a beautiful depiction of our unsung heroes.

This lucid passage clearly demarcates the brevity and intelligence of our great warriors who had given tough time to the infiltrators.

These examples of courage and strategy can be included in some school books so that todays children should talk about our ancestors with pride.

Knowledge is power.

A very informative thread from you Partha, once again. I too heard about this unsung patriot but couldn't recall it immediately. Another clue given in your response that an Naval ship was named after her made me to recollect it when I got the brochure to read about it a couple of years back at Mumbai on the eve of Navy Day.

But I disagree with you at your response #596680 about the activities of the Gandhian supporters during 1938-48. Many people may analyse the history in their own ways but Mahatma would be remembered for ever for leading the Indian masses in a non-violent path and made India independent from the British. Even the foreign scholars appreciate the leadership of Mahatma and the visionary administration of J L Nehru during his tenure as Prime Minister.

Regards,
    Jagdish

In Indian history several unknown great personality. A grand salute to "Rani Abbakka Chowta". We always appropriate them.

Thanks to the Members who have read this thread.

Mr. Patro: My earlier reference abour Mohandas Gandhi and his main disciple was a response to #596674.

Nowadays extensive research is being done on these two leaders' activities during 1938 to 1948. Many new facts are coming to light. I have thought to raise some threads on these new facts some day. In those threads I would like to debate the issue extensively with you and other interested Members. However, to discuss these issues we require open mind.

Interesting bit of information, but like this great warrior there are many more unsung heroes, whom history has forgotten.

I did some research on Rani Abbakka Chowta and find that a fact presented here is distorted. There are two statues erected in her honour, in Karnataka. One is in Ullal and the other in Bengaluru.

Another interesting fact is that she took refuge in a mosque when she escaped from captivity from the Portuguese. And she went on to form an alliance with the Bijapur Sultan of Ahmednagar to fight the Portuguese. Ironically, she was betrayed by her own.

She was also a Jain, by religion.

In the 1500s, the Indian sub-continent comprised of many kingdoms and several small principalities. There were many rulers, ruling over different parts of India. It was much later that the thought of a unified India came into existence. Until then there had been many battles and take over of kingdoms. This could perhaps be the reason why heroes like Rani Abbakka Chowta find no mention in Indian history.

This was a time in history when armies would plunder and conquer. History also gets distoretd, especially when there are no written records available and on how we choose to interpret it.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Ms. Juana: I did know that Rani Abbakka was a Jain. But to me her religious identity is not very important. I admire her because she successfully fought the foreign invaders more than once.

I didn't know that there are two statues of the Rani in Karnataka. Sincere thanks for the update.

So far as the concept of united India, I do not agree to your views. The concept exists since the time of the Vedas.

1. Her being a Jain was an update
    2. Her taking refuge & support of Muslims was another update

These facts are also part of history and should be highlighted.

Regarding statues – spreading misinformation is what distorts history. It often happens that we go by hearsay and over a period of time someone's personal views becomes a distorted fact.

You not being influenced by religion - my observations thus far have been contrary to what you say. Of course, it is a personal matter and I do not want to debate on it further.

I haven't read or studied the Vedas to an extent where I can comment on the unified concept that you mention. I will stick to the facts that history presents that of numerous pockets ruled by numerous rulers. It is also in keeping with the time in history that is under discussion here. The Rani remained/remains a local protagonist.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

#596840:

1. "Regarding statues – spreading misinformation is what distorts history. "-If a student doesn't know that the product of 112 and 112 is 12544, it is not a misinformation. A person can state what he knows. Moreover, the (incorrect) information about the statue was not mentioned in the main thread.

2. "You not being influenced by religion - my observations thus far have been contrary to what you say."-Another confusion! I believe in 'Equal opportunity for all-appeasement of none' policy. I also believe in free flow of information and disapprove wilful suppression of select information. But unfortunately, in this great country, that is not considered secularism. However, let's not go to that issue now.

Partha,

I did not question your knowledge. You can remain misinformed and it wouldn't affect me. The issue here is sharing biased information as factual. Information that is added as a supplementary also gets attention. Why put it there if it's insignificant? It doesn't become any less incriminating because it's placed as a response. It remains there for posterity.

There was a lot mentioned in your post, and I reckon you must have put in some effort to gather the information. You educated readers. Although, it appears as if none of the members checked whether what you presented here was factual. Everyone seems to have taken your statements to be correct. The same will be passed down and there will be more spread of misinformation. You aimed at sharing facts; you should have presented just facts, not distorted facts. You were the teacher here – you played an important role.

I knew nothing of her, until your post. Now, I have all the information available on her, on my fingertips. Google shows many interesting articles on her. They cover minute details on who helped her and how/who killed the Portuguese.

There is a festival 'utsav' celebrated in her honour. There is also an award named after her - Rani Abbakka Puraskara.

These articles cover history instead of histrionics!

I do not want to comment further on your beliefs and affiliations.

Opinion always differs. So no further comments except that I have been elated by the statement: "You were the teacher here – you played an important role". Only if the lady in teaching profession in my home could understand and say this!

I don't think I am a teacher. If I read something interesting, I try to share.

"Opinions always differ."

Then you agree you were led by your opinion! I thought this was a lesson in history - well it turns out to be 'his story'.

However, thanks, because of you, I brushed up on my history.

• Sign In to post your comments