You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Two day Translations workshop at Dhvanyaloka, Mysore.

Dhvanyaloka, is a study centre in Indian literatures and fine arts. They conduct translations workshop annually. I got a chance to attend it last time because of my professor. Though the number of participants is low as they only invite selected few the experience I got is excellent. This year also they are going to conduct it on 27 and 28 of May. You can translate a short story or poems from any language into English and present it. They will publish it in SARASA one of their publications. Before giving it for the publication you should get permission letter from the original author along with their biodata. This is an excellent experience for those who enjoy literary gatherings. And the place is simply serene. Once you step in you don't want to leave the place. If anyone is interested they can contact Srinath sir, the son of the founder and the current organiser of Dhvanyaloka. I request only the truly interested candidates to contact. He is a man of few words but he encourages budding authors and translators heart fully. You can check the website and contact him.
    Good initiative from Dhvanyaloka , Mysore for arranging a two day seminar on translations workshop on poems and short stories written in other languages translated to English. That way many local authors who have penned their well written thoughts for the local audience either too would gets a greater boost. But what I feel that some thoughts written in local language cannot be brought in same wave length as sought by original author. Because in local language we use they use the local dialect and that suites the short stories and poems which I afraid cannot be translated to English with total translation. More over for local languages, there cannot be equal translation or words in English and in that case the translation would be incomplete or we may force to use the nearest meaning to convey the authors idea ?
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Exactly Mohan sir, that's what we call 'lack of equivalents - cultural and linguistic' technically. So what we do is trans create it instead of doing word to word translation. Word to word translation is not a good translation. In trans creation we take content and write it in English with nearest equivalents without deviating from the intention of original author. In case there are no equivalents in English for a word we transliterate it with a footnote like we type in our messages, our words in English. For example Harathi, culturally English people don't offer Harathi to god, so there is no equivalent in English, then we write it as Harathi and give explanation in footnote or EndNote. Dialects is my point of research but I can't do it as it is an extensive subject. If I want to do research in dialects I should offer an exact replacement of English dialect for each dialect of India or at least dialects of my mother tongue. So we always use standard English what ever may be the original text's dialect is so that it gets universal acceptance.
    100% percent translation is impossible even if it is done by the original author himself. He may improvise it and lose the original essence. We can translate words but not the soul of the original. It's more difficult if it is a poem. I translated Gieve Patel's On Killing A Tree into Telugu, I experienced how difficult it is to translate poems.

Carpe Diem

Seems to be very interesting. For examples in Telugu the language is spoken in three different ways. Telangana, Andhra and Rayalseema. Though all the three languages are the same, the dialect , the way of expression and usage of words would varying. In that case how the translation can be made in toto. Even Telugu to Telugu itself conveying the right meaning becomes difficult and how come it can do justice to English translation. Telangana language is some what rough with lesser attention to the esteem of a person and that cannot be translated toto to English as that would mean belittling the person ?
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

That's what the problem with dialects is. The same word may give different emotions in two dialects of same language. So we don't take the word we take the context in which it is used. So we don't start translating the text on the first reading or second readings. There are different stages like understanding the gist, finding difficult words and their equivalents according to the context and the nature of the character. So if you are a writing a story by yourself you are at liberty to use what ever words you like but when you are translating, you are bordered by the original text you should confine yourself to the original text's cultural, linguistic and psychological context.
    Translating between two dialects of same language or between the variations of same language at different times like between Telugu of 17th century and that of 21st century is called Intra lingual translation.

Carpe Diem

Very Nice Ms. Aswini. My father is a very good poet. He has written some books. He translated some famous books of Sanskrit books to Telugu. I was discussing with him once on this matter. He says, writing on our plot we can think broader and we can go up to what level we can go. But translation is quite difficult. When we do this we should give due importance to the inner meaning of the author. We should understand what he wants to convey. Our translation can't go out of that border. we can express the way we want but without damaging the original point of the origin writer.
    Coming to the issue of dialects, what we should know the author's nativity and we can take that meaning. Translation should not be word to word. It should be good expression of our own without deviating from the meaning of original version. That will be a good work.

drrao
    always confident

Srinivas sir...if you don't mind. Can you provide me with any of your Father's published stories. I am in confusion as to what I should select to translate for the workshop. I have different stories but I am not happy with them. So if you like me to translate any of his works please give me a chance. I am sorry I didn't have the chance to contact you through your mail so I am posting my request here.
    Carpe Diem

Sign In to post your comments