You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Do you like taking selfies?

Selfies are very much popular in social media. Selfie accessories such as selfie sticks, selfie camera on phones are everywhere.

The word "selfie" was added to the Oxford dictionary in 2013

But, opinions on selfies are differing .Some seeing them as creative outlet and a way to connect with other people. Others are saying selfies can never be an authentic glimpse to someone's life.

What is your opinion about it?

My opinion is selfies are of interest to Psychologists only in terms of how people think and feel when taking, posting and viewing their own photos.
    For that matter I am totally against the selfie culture. Taking a normal image of a person is agreeable but in the name of selfie the persons may be male or female they give such nasty pose and doing all kind of gestures and thus it wont look nice and even cannot be appreciated by self. Even though I have social media accounts, I seldom take photos of self and load them as I do not like it. This culture should be discontinued. There is nothing wrong to share photos of family and self gone to any public or tourist place and giving such kind of information through a photo would be accepted.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Selfies are very familiar these days. Wherever you go people are busy taking selfies at each and every point. I wonder whether they are enjoying the new spot seeing or taking selfies.

Especially youth are very much interested in selfies. Taking selfies and circulating through whatsapp is the order of the day. I am some how not happy with this cultural. Enjoy the site. Take time for seeing the new spots. Instead of that taking selfies, how for it is correct? The same face in all the photos. Added to this selfie sticks.

There should be a limit. One or two photos can be acceptable. Hundreds to hundreds selfies. People should think.

It is not a good practice to have so many selfies.

drrao
    always confident

Every thing is not a bad one but the thing is the place should be seen and considered. Taking selfie is good but for that taking the same from a dangerous place is not good. An artist (pregnant) in US with some crazy of taking selfie sat on a railway track and focus herself but a train came from the other side smashed her out. Recently I saw a couple planned to take selfie,on our visit to kodaikanal, without seeing the slippery sand slashed down backside and got injured. So, place is to be considered while taking selfie.

As an old-fashioned person, I don't know what selfie is. I don't understand the difference between selfie and normal photograph. But I do know that there was a major accident near my office today because of this selfie-mania.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

A person who is generally not even interested in standing for photographs, as far as possible I escape from such groups and situations, Hence selfie almost ruled out for me. However I have to oblige my family or guests for photographs on occasions.

As Partha I am also of the old generation and hence not at all comfortable or conversant in selfies. I was used to the autofocus hand cameras with films . For a short while I was using the small digital autofocus camera. I was more comfortable with them. After I lost a camera, I have not bought another one. Now I just take photographs with my mobile phone, without knowing any technicalities.

My son like his age group boys is good at selfies. Very rarely for memories and proofs of our travel etc. I yield to some photographs, where I am also present. I tale photographs of others also, but very very rarely selfies.

Partha you posed a good question. The difference between normal photo and the selfie is that in normal photo you are advised to smile and clicked. But in selfie photo the image is clicked by self and with vague gesturing of face and thus uploaded in the social media. I just cannot understand who has started this ugly trend. Because a good face is made to look vulgar and with wild gestures it gives wrong impression to those who have watched our good face either too. And remember such gestures are made before the accident spots, some one is fighting for the life and some one is really bleeding. Down with this new culture.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Yes I take selfies most of the time. Bunt always. When I visit some new places I eagerly take selfies. Its my habit to take selfies at natural places and post it at my DP of face book and Whatsapp. I generally like to selfies with my family and friends.
    But we should take some precautions while taking selfies. We have seen many accident due to taking selfies.

Honesty is the best policy.

Thanks for those who responded.
    It looks many of you are worried about the selfie syndrome. Many are dead against.
    Taking photos means you are capturing important moments and events of your life in pictures. The emotions attached to them remind us of the times we want to always remember
    But, taking selfie means you are staring at your phone, picking the perfect filter for your WhatsApp/Facebook picture, only to miss out what is going on around you and posting it saying that this is your life. Social Media is only a Photoshop tool for our lives. People only post what they want you to see. No one wants to share you how much they are struggling in their life. Just cropping out the bad and leaving edited version of their lives. You are stressing yourself for comparing your life with the edited one of others. It prevents us from ever feeling content with the lives we lead.
    So….log off from all your accounts and spend quality time with your family and relax!

I think it's a personal issue and we can't do much about it anyway. You know what, when there's a rare moment, you try to capture it. There's nothing wrong in that. Your friends might mean a lot to you. So taking a selfie with them (or here groupfie) shouldn't hurt anyone right? Although selfies are associated to narcissism, I think it's more related to appreciation. But take a selfie to capture the moment. Not every moment and every face of yours is worth capturing.
    I've been through this. Quite often my friends get overwhelmed with their selfies that at the end of the day, there are only photos but no real memories. Nothing great. No real involvement. No true happiness but fake smiles everyday.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

• Sign In to post your comments