You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Has anything really changed during last five years?

The Supreme Court has given the final verdict in the 'Nirbhaya' case. It has been five years since the horrific incident shook the conscience of our country. Immediately after the verdict, the television channels have started shouting through the roof. Some experts and women activists hail the judgement. Some get diverted and talk about justification of death penalty in India. Some have started discussing whether this crime comes under 'rarest of the rare category', or not. The same drama is also being enacted (but at lower level) in newspapers and periodicals.

In the cacophony, two main issues get neglected. What about women's safety in the country? Has anything really changed during last five years? Even during this year's new year celebration, there was mass molestation in Bengaluru, which is considered the IT hub and one of the safest cities for women in the country. So, I think nothing substantial has changed on the gorund. Women are not safe in major cities during odd hours. Women are not safe on highways in the country during odd hours. Women who have to go to the fields to relieve themselves, are not safe in the morning. Then why are we shouting so much in television studios? Then why are we writing articles using bombastic words in newspapers?

Additionally, the juvenile rapist in the 'Nirbhaya' case, who was reported to be the most violent, has been roaming scot-free. Not only that, it was also reported some months before that he was indoctrinated in jihadi ideology in the juvenile centre where he remained for some years. So, I think common people have the right to know whether the Government and the Police are keeping track of this 'terrible' young man's movement nowadays, or not. Do the Government and Police monitoring his activities nowadays? Surprisingly, no channel or newspaper has raised this pertinent issue.
    Unfortunately, not much has changed...

Judicial system still takes too long to take decisions. Corrupt Policemen still harass the innocent public. Rapes still happen. This makes me sad. Because it is only last month that just another case of molestation has surfaced in my nearby city, that too with a little girl. I will not provide the complete story here, as it makes me sad to write down that sad incidence. It is happening constantly.

There is something that we are missing. Is it awareness?

There is something that people are not having. Is it Shame?

There are numerous Nirbhaya and Damini who have been waiting for the justice to come. Some might have died, some might have lost all their hopes. And some of them must have been killed by the eyes and views of the society. Generally, a rape victim is seen as an alien in the society. This should be stopped.

I am glad that a verdict came. But I cannot smile because the damage that happened cannot be fixed. And we have not taken enough lessons from this mishap of past.

Regards,
    Ank Arya

"Your value does not decrease based on someone's inability to see your worth"

Well some decisions has to be taken very cautiously because it demands proper reasoning and explanation later. The Nirbhaya case is the classical example. Had the verdict was pronounced very fast, there could have been overwhelming kudos to our courts. But it took whole five years to pronounce the judgement. In India why the Judiciary takes to much time and the delay is made so much that people actually forget about the incident itself. Nevertheless the verdict has been delayed but totally welcomed. Yes in five years nothing has been changed for the common man. He has to suffer for basics, the cost of living is going on increasing, the corruption at different levels has been staying and the common man is the target. The gap between haves and haves not is increasing. Those rich who take bank loans are not caught or demanded the money back. But for the poor the bank seals their homes and premises even for petty payment due.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Mohan: At least in this case the judiciary was very active and judgement was delivered very fast. Day before yesterday, the verdict of Supreme Court was relating to the appeal of the convicts to convert the death penalty to imprisonment, which the Apex Court has declined.

But in this thread, the issue is totally different.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

I really liked the judgement given in JJs disproportunate earning case for which she and her associates were awarded 4 years jail and Rs. 100 crore fine by the lower court by Judge Mr. John Dcunha. This judgement was turned down by a high court judge Mr. Kumaraswamy, and JJ and her associates were acquitted. Again the case was referred to the SC. The supreme court upheld the decision by the lower court and the punishment by lower court was justified, and JJs associates SasiKala and company were put behind the bars for four years and fine to the tune of 10 crore each. This is an important event that took place during the last five years for a case which could not be decided for the last eighteen years.
    No life without Sun ¤

Mr. Sun: Please re-read the thread. I am not interested to discuss Amma or Chinnamma here.

Yes. For such an important issue court might have given its verdict very fast. People will have, the ghostly act of these criminals , in their mind, who spoiled the life a girl. A good judgement. When compared to other cases 5 years may be short.
    But during this five years I have not noticed any change. Still rapes and killings are there. sometimes I feel dejected by seeing news of this kind. Are we really human being. Do we have any ethics? Do we not feel shame by the acts of these people. Really a very sorry state of affairs.
    Recently I heard in telangana and UP, SHE committees are formed. They are trying to curb this kind of activities. But I have not noticed any change. Daily in newspapers we see new items of this type only.

Government and police has to be strong and unbiased. They should not leave any culprit and punish him seriously, so that instances will not repeat. As long as there is no serious action in time, it is very difficult to stop .

drrao
    always confident

Partha,
    Your thread and thread summary is confusing. You talked about the judiciary and the changes during the last five years. I spoke above judiciary quoting a case relating to Periamma and Chinnamma. I think I did not go wrong with my response. There should have been a clear question at the end of your message. What you posted is about the government or police doing something about which you or I or we may not know. We know our government is weak in dealing with such serious cases including the judiciary who indirectly help the criminals because of fear and favour. We can only blame the government and judiciary, nothing to praise and appreciate.

No life without Sun ¤

Mr. Sun: I request you to read the thread very carefully. Does the question pertain to juiciary or the society & administration? Most of the Members haven't found the thread confusing.

Sign In to post your comments