You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Bits & pieces of childhood memory of a middle-aged man

"Oh the boy is terrible!" The animal-loving aunty used to remark, "The boy is so naughty! He not even spares innocent dogs or goats". Thanks to my 'terrible' friends and seniors, I learnt to milk goats. I also learnt to disturb the dogs during the Diwali with firecrackers. Under the able guidance of senior 'dadas' (talking about Bengali dada meaning elder brother, not Marathi dada or north Indian dada), I became adept at using ether or camphor with devastating effect to make the animals very scared (the technique is not fit to be shared in open platform). The aunty was a genuine animal-lover and one day she complained against me to my father. Although my father beat me very severely that day, but at least he didn't take the matter very seriously.

That naughty boy left the locality and later settled in Delhi. But those harrassed animals have taken their revenge on him. He was bitten by a dog in Delhi for no fault of his own, and had to take five injections. Not only dog, he was kicked by a 'tahr' (a goat found in hills) at Corbett National Park. As a result, he is now scared not only of dogs, but also of goats!

But he has not changed much! This 'naughty boy' has become a 'naughty man'' with full of naughty but innovative ideas. But with advancing age (he is now approaching fifty), he nowadays hesitates to implement those innovative ideas.

(This is not a competition entry for Bits & Pieces)
    What Partha in your childhood you seems to have bothered the animals very much and especially dogs had to suffer in your hands. Very bad attitude in indeed. I know during childhood we cannot differentiate between right hand and left hand and only interested in fun and frolic along with like minded friends but that was not in good taste. The aunty made the right thing to complaint against you with your father. But he could not mend you properly. And your childhood nonsense do continue even now. Nevertheless I enjoyed your childhood and the way you were time passing with issues daily.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Mohan: When have I said "And your childhood nonsense do continue even now"? Please read the second para carefully.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

No I was referring to your last para where in you said that naughty boy is now naughty man and not changed much even though bitten by dog and kicked by goat.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Mohan: The middle-aged man's 'naughtiness' has changed the direction. The last sentence bears a very small testimony of his present activity.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

• Sign In to post your comments