You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

English improving querry

I am a graduate student.from childhood onwards I studied in English medium but I use to speak english rarely. I doesn't have stage fear but I use to miss the flow and can't translate my thoughts and opinions spontaneously . I used to say aa aa flow is disturbed and finally the disturbance looses my confidence.
    Please suggest tips how to speak if a topic is given and For the fluency steps to be followed.
    You have to increase your vocabulary in English. Start reading books. Understand the book. If you are not able to know the meaning of any word, go through the dictionary and get the correct meaning. Make one or two sentences using that word. Don't be in a hurry to complete the book. Similarly read English newspaper like The Hindu.Do understand the meaning of every word. Try to speak in English only with people. If you don't know some words, use equivalent words of your mother tongue. Don't hesitate.

Practice makes man perfect. You have to practice speaking in English. Many people worry thinking that they do mistakes and others will laugh at us. Don't worry, everybody will do some mistakes. We can correct it. Go on speaking like this. You will become perfect.

drrao
    always confident

It becomes difficult to translate thoughts from mother tongue into a language that you are not used to speaking. The best advice I can give you is to begin thinking in English. When you think in English your thoughts and words will sync automatically.

The next thing you can do is practice speaking on random topics, on your own. Stand in front of the mirror and observe your body language, as you speak. Also, make note of what happens when words don't flow – is it that you have nothing new to add or is it that you are failing to put your thoughts into words.

You don't have stage fright, which is a good thing. Whenever you have a speech to make, make a mental note of points that you have to speak on. Better still jot down key points on a piece of paper and use them for reference. Keep going over the key points over and over again, before you hit the stage. This way the points will stick in your head and you'll be able to talk about them.

If all this doesn't work – go back to what you said before you got stuck and elaborate on the point. You forgot what to say, or words don't flow, you go ahhh, and ahhh again. Don't lose confidence. Instead tell your audience, before I go any further, I want to elaborate on the point I just made. Talk on that subject some more and take it from there.

Also, never memorise a speech. You are doomed if you forget even a word. Always work with points and learn to talk on those points. Also, construct short sentences, rather than long ones. Keep your speech short and concise. Always start with an anecdote and end with a punch line. Have a few witty things to say.

Learn to improvise by bringing in new elements into the topic. Connect points - for example, pick up something that you spoke about or something that was part of the discussion and bring that into the speech, while keeping it relevant. Learn to think on your feet and react.

Underestimate me...that'll be fun!

First and foremost let me tell you the golden words of Bernard Shaw "there is nothing like ideally correct English." So if you have any fear about your grammar just shed it. Your inability to continue the flow can be because of two reasons. One is lack of enough practice the other is lack of grip over the subject you are speaking on. As Srinivas sir said speaking in English in day to day life gives you perfect practice but we may not get a chance to speak in English with others every time and we have the threat of abandoning our mother tongue. I never like that. In such situations I suggest you to speak with yourself in English. your thoughts and ideas, write them down in English. Type your messages in English. If your problem is lack of grip on the subject there are different steps in a public presentation. One -
    know your topic, two - gather material on the topic, three - organise the material incorporating your ideas as introduction, explanation or discussion and conclusion; four - practice it but don't mug it up, finally present it in simple words. Never ever try to use ornamental and too technical words. Using simple words draws audience attention and gives you confidence. If you are a movie freak then the best way is to watch as many English movies as possible, mostly movies with common life stories. Such movies help you to learn conversational English. I learnt conversational Hindi through movies.
    One word from me, even if you can't speak fluent English don't worry we have our mother tongue and there are millions of people who are leading successful professional lives even if they don't know English. This colonial hangover of treating English as most important thing in life troubles me a lot.

Carpe Diem

Oh.... I can see that Juana madam and I made the same points but in different words. Just a few seconds gap in submitting response. I should have seen Juana madam's response before submitting mine.
    Carpe Diem

Thank u sir . Actually I have started vocabulary.but for a word there if we go through a paper we use to observe vocabulary in particular situations.but in our life we will more concentrate on daily actions and words I have learned from that paper is not speaking out and
    my friends are not too passionate and patience to have an English conversation with me. My main drawback is lack of that english speaking environment . please suggest any tips how to use vocabulary have learned .is there any online classes to spare some time.

Not every one is seasoned and able to talk in English fluency. It is such a language, which gets into improvised mode if you go on talking and conversing with others. When others talk to you in your language, try to give them the reply in English and ask them to correct if you made some mistakes or conveyed wrongly. Normally family and friends would certainly help help you to instill confidence while learning English. Even with unknown persons you can initiate talking in English. Watch English movies with sub titles in English so that new words and its importance can be known and used.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

• Sign In to post your comments