You must Sign In to post a response.
This entry wins a consolation prize for 'Me, a box' creative writing contest.
  • Category: Creative Writing

Life of an old but adored dissection box

Today again he brought me out. Returning from office, he noticed that his daughter had been busy with her Biology practical work. He changed and seating beside his daughter, he started to touch me with affection. He opened me, took out the scalpels, forceps, scissors, needle, spatula and the magnifying glass. He started caressing each and every article and of course, me. I understood that he went back to his school days. I also travelled backwards. Both of us went back to 1983- to the evening of 1983, when we started our journey together.

The boy, who is now a middle-aged man, passed his Xth standard Board examination with flying colours and took admission in the same school in Science stream. Within one month, the Biology teacher asked all the students to bring dissection box (at that time, they used to say 'Biology Box'). But his father could manage to get me purchased after more than three months or so.

On that evening, the young boy had come to the shop 'New Alipore Book House' with his father. After lot of studying/surveying different dissection boxes, he ultimately chose me. He chose me because of my colour. My upper portion was light blue and lower portion was white.

Returning home, the young boy wrote his name, the name of the school, class, section, roll No. and year on me. I still carry these identification marks. During our most intimate relationship in 1983-85, he never ignored me. He took great care of me, and in turn, I also never failed him during practical sessions or examinations. He passed his XIIth examination with very good marks.

Thereafter, he discontinued study of Biology. But he handed me over to his younger brother in an excellent condition. His brother also used me during 1986-88. Later, their younger sister also used me during 1989-91. The eldest boy taught his brother and sister how to use scalpels, forceps, scissors and needle. In short he taught them how to handle me. All three of them took very good care of me and I also took good care of all of them during their practical examinations.

But unfortunately none of them continued with Biology at Graduation level. The eldest brother studied Mathematics, his brother studied Chemistry and their sister took admission in Engineering. So, I remained unused after 1991. But the eldest boy continued taking care of me all through the years.

………………………………………………

Last year, the daughter of the young boy (of 1983) passed Xth Standard examination and took admission in her school in Science stream. She has taken Biology as one of the subjects. The boy, now a middle-aged man, brought me out from his personal almirah, cleaned me and my contents and handed me to her daughter. He taught his daughter how to take care of me and my contents. He taught her daughter how to use forceps, scissors and scalpels. I went back to my old days. There were tears in his eyes; I fully understood his feelings.

Although his daughter now uses a new dissection box, whenever the man wants to demonstrate anything to his daughter, he uses my contents only. I feel elated; I feel proud because of his care and adoration.

I, the old dissection box, have been the witness of the middle-class family's continuous journey since 1983.

(Competition entry for Me, a box - creative writing story contest)
    No body ever thought about the dissection box which is a must for a biology student and the author made a different content on this matter and presented in a nice manner.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

A well written story of a dissection box. The narration is good. It is generally a practice in many families to use the books and other related items of elder sister/ brother by younger brother/sister. In some families they give these items to some poor students after they have completed their studies.

I was a mathematics student. Those days we were using logarithm books for calculations. My sister had given me this book after her studies. Still that book is with me.

Wish you all the best Mr.Partha.

drrao
    always confident

Mr. Mohan and Dr. Rao: Thanks for reading this story.

Dr. Rao: I also used log table for calculation. I could not afford to use calculators during Graduation and Post-Graduation. In lower classes, I was not allowed. But now I feel that it (not using calculators) has been a blessing in disguise for me.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Very interesting story. The author has well imagined a biology box and its autobiography in a family right up to second generation.

Well done, It was a enjoyable reading.

Knowledge is power.

Imagined? No, Mr. Umesh. There is no scope of imagination. The old dissection box is a proud member of our family.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

This is surely reminding of many of the few who did higher secondary in early 80s as that was compulsory while of late this box has not been seen by biology students now (in TN at least) as there is no such box available in their practical.

The box of mine I could recollect is red with white and that has been passed on to my junior freely who could not afford to buy.

Now after reading this, I felt even I should have kept but many things we could only recollect memories now.

Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.