You must Sign In to post a response.
This entry wins the joint 2nd prize for 'Me, a box' creative writing contest.
  • Category: Creative Writing

Me, a box - a plain wooden box

Me, I am a box – a wooden box. I am a plain box, with no embellishments or paint. And yet, today I feel big, bigger than any other type of box. I may not weigh a thousand tonnes, and yet I know I am the heaviest of them all. There is nothing grandiose about me. And yet, I can tell I am the most prized box today.

Did I say no embellishment – wait there it comes – a name and a number – on a piece of paper – stuck on my side. I may not be magnificent, yet now I am the most beautiful. I feel a surge of pride rise through me; the plain embellishment makes me special. All eyes are upon me, now - moist eyes, eyes of pride, eyes of commitment, eyes filled with rage and eyes that seek revenge.

I am hoisted above the ground now, floating in the air, sitting precariously on strong shoulders, dressed in epaulettes that shine. I think it is almost the end now, and yet, each measured step announces to me that there can be no end.

I am put down now on a cold cement slab, yet the ice cold body encased within me burns me with its warmth. A hero rests within me - a martyr, slain ruthlessly. His story is one of valour and courage. He put his life on the line, fighting for us, protecting what is yours and mine.

I feel a lump in my throat now, as I am sheathed in the national flag – I feel goose bumps all over me. I become immaterial now; the flag drapes not me, but the hero, who laid down his life for you and for me. He finally rests inside me, yet he lives inside every heart that beats in the name of my motherland.

The hero's heart no longer beats now, and yet a million hearts thump, in unison, in his name.

Wreaths deck me now, and I can smell their sweet scent, yet nothing compares to the sweetest fragrance of them all – the fragrance of courage, of heroism and of gallantry. There is nothing sweeter than the smell of the true spirit of patriotism – a patriotism that makes one take a bullet in the chest.

The bugles sound the 'Last Post' now, and as the guns are lowered in salute it's time to say the final goodbye. The nails are finally hammered into me – I hold a precious treasure.

I am lowered into the ground now, as the shouts of 'Bharat Mata ki Jai' vibrate in the air. Six feet under the ground, I lay covered in dust. Deep within me, I feel something stir – the slain soldier is not dead yet, he lives and his dreams resonate in every Indian's heart.

This is my entry for the creative writing contest - Me, a box.
    Nicely expressed. The body of a soldier kept in a wooden box and buried underground. People say, a person will not die as long as name is remembered on the earth. The soldiers, real heroes of the Nation, who are sacrificing their life for the mother land will be remembered for ever. A very well narrated story and I wish Ms.Juana all the best.
    drrao
    always confident

Wow what a nice way to pay tribute to the wooden box carrying the body of the soldier who gave his life for the mother land and the narration given by author was befitting.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Well narrated 'Me, a Box". Though it is a box, it is not a box but a coffin. By looking at it, no one will call it as a box. I would say that the wood is very lucky to carry a martyr. The only box that get buried on the earth with due honour is the coffin that you call it a box.
    No life without Sun ¤

Thank you, Srinivasa Rao and Mohan, for your appreciative comments.

Sun - You have taken the thread off track. Please refrain.

Edited: Thank you for appreciating. I missed the first few words. A coffin is a box.

[Part of second sentence removed.]

Underestimate me...that'll be fun!

An excellent story of a wooden box carrying the body of a martyr and covered with National Flag. I liked the story.

However, I would personally prefer a box carrying the dead-body of an enemy soldier,

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Juana,
    It was my very sincere filtered comments and appreciation. No intention to take the thread off the track. In fact, you have chosen the most befitting box for the contest. It might get the award.

[End of text removed.]

No life without Sun ¤

Sun,

My apologies. I overreacted perhaps.

A very powerful story. Full of national pride and depicting the heroes of nation in a literary style.

Nice piece of prose. Well done and keep it up.

Knowledge is power.

Thank you, Partha and Umesh, I appreciate your feedback.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.