You must Sign In to post a response.
This entry wins the joint 2nd prize for 'Me, a box' creative writing contest.
  • Category: Creative Writing

Unbox me! I want to know what's inside of me.

It's dark. It's funny too. "Fragile" is written all over me. Am I really strong enough to hold something that sensitive?
    I am made of cardboard after all. It's dark in here. Guess I am in the store room. I'm dying to know what's inside me. Dying to know the purpose of my existence. Dying to know where I'll end up after I fulfill my purpose.
    I hear footsteps advancing towards me. The moment of truth is nearing. Alas! He took the box right next to me with him. I guess I'll have to wait for my turn.
    How do I look to others? Am I ugly? Am I beautiful? Where and what was I before I was made into a box? What was my life like back then?
    I'm suspended in present now. Unsure of future. I wish I could know what I'm carrying.
    Unbox me please and answer my questions..
    But none came. Has it been a month? A year? I've lost track of time.
    Occasional cold winds blow into the room letting me know about my surrounding temperature.
    It's winter I assume. Cold.
    Where's China by the way? Because it reads "Made in China" in my bottom. The other day one of the neighboring boxes was laughing at me. It calls me "cheap". The box even called me worthless.
    So what is this China anyway? Is being made in China a sin? I know not.
    As every single day passes, I have lesser neighbors. The human is lifting and transporting them away.
    Now it's just me and the box that abused me earlier. I can't wait to see what's inside him. It boasts about itself so much because it was made in Taiwan. What's Taiwan again?
    The human is nearing. Today I'll either know myself or I'll quench my curiosity.
    My curiosity will be quenched today. The human's opening my neighbor. "Remote" he yells to another human that's outside the room. I don't really know what a remote is but it's small and ugly, so I laughed. He took my neighbor away. I'm all alone in this dark room now.
    They didn't even spare me my enemy. I'm alone and ignorant.
    Why won't he open me?
    I spent a thousand days like that, lonely, in that dark room. The door opened and entered a small human. "Papa! Why is this box left alone?" he asks. He reads my mind.
    "Oh! This one? It's empty. There's nothing inside"the human replied.
    I cannot die. I wish I could. Because death would be more meaningful than a meaningless life.
    Atleast I won't hinder the way for future storage. Both humans went away after cleaning the room.
    I was depressed. I heard squeals. Where are they coming from? They are coming from inside of me. I feel things running inside me. Something just poked a hole in me. It's a rat.
    It gave birth inside me. I harbor it's young ones now. I'm empty he says.
    No. I harbor life. And I do carry something fragile. Truth finally came to me. Not from outside, but from within.
    Good try from the author for the first time in creative writing series. Some times our curiosity arose as long as the box was not opened. And that is well narrated here.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

The author missed reading the guidelines that clearly mention the word limit to be between 450-650 words.
    "A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Now It is an empty box that could not accommodate 450-650 words. We need a box with 450 to 650 words to open and give a good response as to what is in it.

Is it a box to present for the ISC's Me a box competition?

Are you a Match Box?

No life without Sun ¤

When someone is attempting the creative writing series for the time have the magnanimity to encourage, Well every one may not write for winning but for gaining experience. This may be one.
    K Mohan

Mohan and Mohan,
    [Beginning & end of text removed.]
    Creativity doesn't mean that one should ignore the rules, regulations, orders, instructions and guidelines.

No life without Sun ¤

The author has shown the curiosity well. Narration is also good. A nice attempt from Mr. Aditya Mohan. I
    drrao
    always confident

The author has tried to create a suspense. He has started very well, but have not managed to keep up the tempo. But this is an excellent first attempt. With passage of time and after gaining some experience, he would definitely become a good creative writer. He has raised hope, no doubt about it.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Here you go. I edited my entry. I don't know if it's against rules, but I had to finish what I started.
    The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

The edited version is very good and the author creativity really came to the fore. The last few lines were so impressive that it tells about the reality.
    K Mohan

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.