You must Sign In to post a response.
Are you regularly submitting responses to articles? Follow this thread.
  • Category: Requests

Request to ISCians: understand how to submit a good response to an article

Friends,

It has been reported by editors who are reviewing article responses that members are not really bothering to read the article in its totality before posting a response.

Please try to understand that posting an article response is as valuable to ISC as the article itself. Just as the article provides good content on a page, so also should the article response. Giving inane responses which are unrelated to the article's topic, repeating what is already mentioned in the article and repetition of your own sentences in the article response - these are all useless contributions, to put it very bluntly.

Let's expect some quality responses please from ISCians. Do read the Guidelines for Articles Responses.

To put it simply: The response should give additional information or correct information in the article, just as is done when giving an update for the schools/college/My India section.

You can use HTML tags for points to present your response in a better way. You can also provide links to your own article or some other internal page which is relevant to the article's topic.

If you feel that you have a lot to say, then why not submit a fresh article from your perspective? We do accept articles on the same topic if there is a new, fresh and unique presentation of it. You can simply link it to the already submitted article. Once you submit your article, in a response to the earlier article you can give a link to yours.

One important point to note: Do not submit responses to articles which are in new submissions or in pending mode. If the article gets deleted, then your response too will get deleted.

Any queries related to submitting article responses? Ask them in a response in this thread & we will guide you.
    Madam,

Can we use basic html tags in article response? I am asking this question because whenever I wanted to give 'bold' command or link of my own article in this section, it was not accepted. Has the rule been changed?

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Thank you for this advisory - it is much needed. I had contemplated raising a forum thread to address this issue since I have recently been dealing with a lot of inane responses to my articles. I hope the message reaches the right people.
    Underestimate me...that'll be fun!

Good Ms.Vandana. Your feedback is very important. We will follow your suggestion definitely. All ISC members should keep in mind that whatever we are writing should be useful for other users. So we should give a correct and valuable information for the readers.
    drrao
    always confident

Partha,

No, do not use bold tags. We allow bold tags for the main article only for essential keywords. Please read the guidelines, to which I have given the link in the text above. It mentions which tags are allowed.

Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

Good advisory from the Managing editor. Normally response should coincide with the title and the contents of the article raised but some times the author of the article also gets confused with title and the content and thus the blame is passed on the responding members.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

K Mohan,

I beg to differ with your view. The author is hardly the confused person! He/she is very clear about the title since after all it is the title that attracts the readers and obviously the author will take care to give a title relevant to what is in the text. Why are you blaming the author for creating confusion? Is it not the responsibility of members to take care to read the article in its entirety? Should only the title and summary be read and thus base one's response on that?!

What my perception may be the views of others browsing the net and hence I made that observation. While net users may not comment we have the right to comment.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Madam,

I have again tried. It is not possible to give link of any Article/Forum Post in 'Article Response' sub-section. Kindly rectify.

Are other members facing the same problem as Partha - you are unable to give a link to other pages of ISC in your article response?

From my experience I can say that very few Members post in 'Articles Response' sub-section. So, the chance of getting feedback is less. Yesterday night I faced the problem. Again today morning I was unable to provide links of my own articles. This problem is being witnessed by me whenever I want to provide link. Today the Editor who approved my response gave a clickable link, which I could not. May be only the Editors can do it.

I did not try today. But HTML and hence links are not allowed in article response. I had tried many times in earlier occasions to give link to other pages of ISC, but was not able to do so.

HTML and hence links are not allowed in article response. I had tried many times in earlier occasions to give link to other pages of ISC, but was not able to do so.
    Today also just now I tried. It displays a message with a meaning that your level is not permitted for HTML.
    So links cannot be made in article response.

I will enquire with Tony Sir about this issue of links in an article response.

Madam, please also enquire why the size of the letters in 'Articles Response' sub-section is so small, almost microscopic.

Partha,

Duly enquired about that too.

Just now posted a test response to this article to check whether you can post internal links or not. Seems there is no issue as you could see the internal link in the article response.

I don't find any issue with font size. The font size is normal.

-----------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Kalyani

It looks like the option is available to the editors alone. Other members cannot post links. Even I am unable to place a link in the response. This issue had been highlighted by Jeet in the forum post that Vandana has linked in the main thread.

Also, an older forum thread shows that this option was never available to members (was it introduced subsequently is not known, but Jeet's response indicates that it wasn't).

Refer Tony's response.

Underestimate me...that'll be fun!

Now I am pretty sure that Members can't give clickable link in this sub-section. Just now I have failed once again.

The issue is brought to the notice of Tony sir. I think either only editors can use html tag in resource responses or it could be a bug. Not sure of this. Let's wait for Tony sir's response.
    -----------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Kalyani

Repeating what has been given in the article or writing something irrelevant about the article both are irresponsible act if done by a responder. Simply responding something for the sake of it has no weight.
    Generally good responders add value to the article as the readers after reading the article generally see comments also.

Knowledge is power.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.