You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Problems/Complaints

Deletion of Forum posts has become a routine part of my life

Yesterday I raised a Forum post, the link of which is given below:-
    How to transfer a bank account

Now why did I raise this particular thread yesterday? My Stenographer in my office sought my guidance on this issue. He had earlier worked in Western Railway and had been posted near Gondia (Maharashtra). When he got the present job, he immediately left that place and came to Delhi. He didn't close the bank account at Gondia and according to him, a considerable amount is kept in that account. Now he wanted to transfer that account from Delhi (without visiting Gondia).

Hearing the problem, I remembered that few years back, I had to accompany my sister to close five saving accounts earlier opened by her while working in different organisations. Later she forgot to close or transfer those accounts.

I searched the matter and collected some information about transferring bank accounts and posted the same. Now the post has been deleted with a cryptic comment: "Courtesy 'The Economic Times'."

In this connection, I would like to have a clear statement from the concerned Editor whether there is any copied content in my post, or not. If there is any copied content, then the deletion of the thread is acceptable. If there is no copied content and only there is similarity in the subject-matter, the deletion is not acceptable.

However, deletion of Forum posts raised by me has become a routine part of my life!
    I do agree that some of the forum posts which we raised and feel that it is useful for the general public and net users, has been deleted in the garb of duplicate post, irrelevant information or matter already discussed.. And remember those who respond to such posts are also penalized. Now a days I am also getting jittery over too much vigil in this forum and distilling the contents for every word and sentence. I am also of the opinion that the editors should mention the reason for deleting a forum post so that we would be alerted for future not to repeat the same mistake. For me also forum posts deletion has become routine.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

It is ironical that some Editors themselves are stifling the vibrant Forum section. If this trend continues, the colourful Forum section would soon lose its colour. Even if the subject-matter is common (as appeared in a newspaper or in an internet article), the Forum post is being deleted.

Appeal against the Editors is generally not successful.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Partha,
    I don't know why the thread was deleted but from a general perspective, that thread looks apter for the Article section rather than in Forum where it would get lost within a few days. There are topics which are suited for specific sections and when you post them in the wrong section they are bound to get deleted. For example, posting a query on ISC's functioning should be done in the Forum section and not in Ask Expert similarly a post telling something useful should be in Article section.

Mr. Ankit: Should this be reason for deletion of thread? I posted it in Forum section so that maximum Members read this. Can you tell me how many Members read the Articles? More so when 10 days or so are required for approval of Articles.

Partha,
    Consider the use case of your post. People search for the information you shared in the above-mentioned thread only when they need it. A few members might read through your post because they like to but how much do you think the count will be, at max 20 probably? And how many do you think will actually use it? Probably none in near term and in the long term they might not remember it.

However, people who do need that info will search for answers on search engines like Google. And that is where Article section has much more visibility that the Forum. You might not get feedback like Forum but if at all your post can be helpful, it will be through the Article section.

To answer your question, I was an Editor on ISC for a long time and I still am an Editor on ISC's sister websites. I would have deleted the thread when I see it in Forum section because it does not belong here. Posts that belong in Forum section are those which can lead to discussions or debates. Purely information purpose threads don't belong to Forum section. I have seen many of your other threads related to Stock Market and Investment strategies in Forum and I think it is only the patience of Forum editors who don't want to disappoint an active member like you that prevents them from deleting those.

Please do understand the difference, it is not that anybody is considering your work of less worth, it is just that it should be posted where it belongs and that place of worth is Article section and not here.

K Mohan,

Forum editors do not delete threads on the basis of it being a "garb". There are valid reasons for deletion.

If a member submits a duplicate thread, it will be deleted.
    If a member submits an irrelevant thread which has no basis whatsoever, it will be deleted.
    If a member submits a thread with copied content, it will be deleted.
    If a member repeatedly submits similar threads, it will be deleted. In fact, this last is what I would call a garb. A member will submit a thread with some views on something & then will simply post a fresh thread after about a week or even a few months with the exact same views, but subtly put in the garb of fresh text. Quite often a thread will stir my memory and via the search box I can locate the exact same thing being said by the very same member a couple of months ago.

Naturally, anything with does not adhere to Forum posting guidelines will also be deleted.

As for giving reasons for deletion - this has already been discussed before. Refer to the earlier threads on this.

Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

Partha,

Ankit has given very valuable advice. It is suggested that you follow it. Also, it would be good to come up with topics for the forum in a spontaneous manner rather than gleaning it from newspaper / online articles with the info then likely to reflect copied content.

Madam: I challenge the concerned Editor to prove that this is a copied content. Isn't it insinuation? The subject-matter may be the same, but what about the content?

Partha,

You don't need to throw challenges - ISC is not a field for early Victorian era-style duels!

I re-checked your thread just now. The matter is indeed same as it is in the Economic Times, which you could have at least acknowledged instead of implying that it is your own expertise on the matter. [http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/wealth/save/heres-how-to-transfer-your-bank-account/articleshow/58546603.cms]

Anyway, it would be best, as Ankit said, not to raise such type of threads in the forum.

Can we now hear from Partha please?
    Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance- George Bernard Shaw.

I have been asked by the ME not to throw any challenge, only so I am remaining silent. I have many things to say.

• Sign In to post your comments