Ransomware Cyber-Attack - Very DangerousA major ransomware cyber-attack currently underway across the world. The malware, being called "Wanna Decryptor" or "Wanna Cry" encrypts files and makes them inaccessible until a ransom is paid.
How can we avoid?
While no single solution is full-proof, the following are recommended:
· Refrain from clicking any links and attachments in email - Clicking on links and attachments in email should be avoided unless the file and source are known. Even if the sender is known, be suspicious. If you did not expect the email, call the sender to confirm they sent it. Wanna Cry has been reported to come from fake invoices, job offers and other lures. Within the email is a .zip file, and once clicked it initiates the WannaCry infection.
· Check email sender - Verify the message is legitimate. If not delete the message and report it
· Check Content – If you are not sure of an email whether internal or external question it.
· Internet Browsing- Only download files from a trusted source and clicking on links in email should be avoided. It is safer to visit any site mentioned in email directly.
Here is what should we do:
1. check that your computer systems are patched with the latest security patches
2. Be in touch with your antivirus vendor to confirm that you are using the latest versions
3. continuously monitor the environment for any possible infections.